Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Dianne Feinstein, the first woman to represent California in the Senate, dies at 90

Dianne Feinstein, who surmounted an abusive childhood and early political failures to become the first woman to represent California in the Senate and a central figure in the rise of women to national political power, has died.

Feinstein, 90, was a towering political figure for decades. She was the oldest member of the U.S. Senate when she died, and questions about her mental capacity shadowed her final years in office, blemishing her reputation and forcing her to repeatedly fend off calls to resign.

--

I was just a child at the time, but I was living in San Jose, near enough to San Francisco that it was all over the news for days. It made an impression when she appeared on television in 1978:

“As president of the Board of Supervisors,” she said, “it is my duty to inform you that both Mayor Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk have been shot and killed.”

Those days defined Feinstein. Before then, California political analyst Sherry Bebitch Jeffe said, “you didn’t see a woman take control the way she did, in an executive position. She didn’t dissolve in tears and scream and yell. She was in control. That added a lot to her ability to win when she did.”

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wing2000

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Oh lord. I wonder how long they will let her rest before the Democratic feeding frenzy starts in California.

Governor Newsom has said he will not appoint any of the three people (Schiff, Porter, Lee) currently running to primary for that seat [as Feinstein did not intend to run again] so that the voters will have the ultimate say without him tipping the scales by creating an incumbent.

He has also said he would appoint a black woman if the seat became open.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'd be lying if I said I liked her (though the fact that I am just slightly too young to have witnessed her heyday in the 1970s, but not at all too young to have witnessed her decline certainly colors that), but if nothing else she was a very strong and resilient political figure. May she rest in peace.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,507.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I mean regardless of her particular positions, she was a powerhouse in the Senate for a good chunk of her career. If anything I'm a little sad that she didn't get a chance to retire and enjoy the fruits of her service to this nation.
Oh she would not have retired voluntarily. And she died the way she wanted to go imho.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Why did I look at the comments on GETTR? Anyway, here's my favorite printable one:

Timing is incredible.
Impeachment Inquiry and now this.
Distraction at it’s finest.

The pre-impeachment hearing was so explosive that the Bidens had to murder a senator. (Not to mention the its/it's error.)

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why did I look at the comments on GETTR? Anyway, here's my favorite printable one:

Timing is incredible.
Impeachment Inquiry and now this.
Distraction at it’s finest.

The pre-impeachment hearing was so explosive that the Bidens had to murder a senator. (Not to mention the its/it's error.)
No no, you don't get it. Instead Feinstein was holding on until her death could secure the maximum political advantage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

GOP senators say they won't stop Democrats from replacing Feinstein on Judiciary Committee

Sen. Dianne Feinstein's death creates a vacancy on the powerful panel that oversees President Biden's judicial nominees. Without her, Democrats don't have a majority on it.

Feinstein’s death means the key panel that processes President Joe Biden’s judicial nominees is now split evenly, 10 to 10, between Democrats and Republicans. A tie vote means a nominee fails to advance out of committee, meaning Democrats would need at least some GOP support to send any potential judges to the full Senate.

“It’s a prerogative of the Democratic leader to put who he wants on the Judiciary Committee. So I don’t think that’s an issue,” Cornyn said, arguing that it was different when Republicans blocked a temporary swap on the panel earlier this year while Feinstein was absent due to medical leave.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

GOP senators say they won't stop Democrats from replacing Feinstein on Judiciary Committee

Sen. Dianne Feinstein's death creates a vacancy on the powerful panel that oversees President Biden's judicial nominees. Without her, Democrats don't have a majority on it.

Feinstein’s death means the key panel that processes President Joe Biden’s judicial nominees is now split evenly, 10 to 10, between Democrats and Republicans. A tie vote means a nominee fails to advance out of committee, meaning Democrats would need at least some GOP support to send any potential judges to the full Senate.

“It’s a prerogative of the Democratic leader to put who he wants on the Judiciary Committee. So I don’t think that’s an issue,” Cornyn said, arguing that it was different when Republicans blocked a temporary swap on the panel earlier this year while Feinstein was absent due to medical leave.
I don’t believe them.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean regardless of her particular positions, she was a powerhouse in the Senate for a good chunk of her career. If anything I'm a little sad that she didn't get a chance to retire and enjoy the fruits of her service to this nation.

I was listening to an interview with her former CA colleage Sen Barbara Boxer -who chose to resign in 2017. She said Diane never understood why she would chose to retire earlier in life. I guess Feinstein was strongly driven to the end - though I think it would have been wise to resign a few years ago. In any case, Feinstein should be remembered for her leadership and inspriation to women aspiring for political office. She always handled herself with class and the decorum of a US Senator.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
a3ZzrOv_460swp.webp

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Laphonza Butler of EMILY's List to replace Dianne Feinstein as senator

Ms Butler is the first black woman to lead EMILY's List. Before she started the role in 2021, she was a senior campaign adviser to US Vice-President Kamala Harris during her 2020 presidential bid.

Ms Butler has also worked as director of public policy at Airbnb and as a union leader.
That seems like an odd choice tbh. She has no government experience to speak of. But then again, it doesn't appear that she has run for office previously either, so maybe he's taking that as a indicator she won't try to run this time. Because I'm sure she still has time to file if she wanted to.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Informative
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0