Sen. Lee rips Democratic colleague for 'worst' criticism he's heard yet of Justice Amy Coney Barrett

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Utah senator lauded Trump for SCOTUS 'trifecta'

Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., calling the judicial originalism "racist, sexist, homophobic and a fancy word for discrimination" is “patently irresponsible," said Sen. Mike Lee.

The term "originalism" refers to a judicial interpretation of the law based on a literal reading.

“Of all the irresponsible and inflammatory statements I’ve heard over the last few weeks, and I’ve heard some doozies, this might well be the worst,” Lee, R-Utah, told “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday.

“If you think about what he is really saying there, Sen. Markey has essentially said that our Constitution is racist. And [that] an effort to understand it, understand its words at the time they were written, is itself racist and bigoted. I can’t think of a statement that has a greater tendency to undermine the foundation of our constitutional republic. I hope, expect, and demand that Sen. Markey retract his statement. It is irresponsible; he can’t defend that," Lee said.

Continued below.
Sen. Lee rips Democratic colleague for 'worst' criticism he's heard yet of Justice Amy Coney Barrett