Visit site
✟1,363,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am reading now in the book of 2 Corinthians.

Paul had just written the Corinthians about the affliction that he had faced where he and his companions despaired of life and felt that they had received the sentence of death. But then he praised the Lord for the deliverance they received from God. And then he spoke to them in reference to a previous communication in which he knew that he had caused them pain, which could be a reference to 1 Corinthians, chapter 5, when he admonished them concerning the man who was in their midst, who was living in immorality, and of their need to deal with that issue appropriately.

For then he went on to tell the Corinthians that it was now time to forgive the man, although he did not specifically say who the person was. And he stated that the punishment given by the majority was enough for him, and so they needed to reaffirm their love for him. And then he spoke of how, when he came to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ, that his spirit was not at rest because he did not find his brother Titus there, so he took leave and went on to Macedonia. And that leads into today’s passage of Scripture:

2 Corinthians 2:14-17 ESV

“But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God's word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.”

So, let’s look at the context here to help us to understand what this is saying to us. Paul had victory over Satan when Satan was attacking him via other people to the point to where Paul and his companions despaired of life and felt the sentence of death. And Paul was victorious over the enemy when his admonishment to the Christians appeared to result in this man repenting of his sins so that now it was time to restore him back to fellowship with the body of Christ. For it is always a point of rejoicing when painful but necessary correction results in what is good and right and godly.

So, it appears here that Paul was expressing praise to the Lord that his ministry, which was of God, and which was being led by the Spirit of God, resulted in victory over the enemy and in changed lives and in deliverance from enemy attacks. It is always a blessing when we can see the fruit of our labors, for we can’t always see them, at least not in this life. But it is encouraging when we can actually experience and hear of and witness the good results of our acts of obedience to the Lord Jesus, not because we need praise, but because we rejoice in the good being done in others’ lives.

And it is always good when we can experience victory over Satan and against his evil plots against us, and when his attempts to destroy us are overpowered by God’s grace and mercy in our lives. And it is good, too, when we can see the positive results of our walks of obedience to our Lord, for that encourages our hearts. And it is so encouraging when we have the freedom still to spread the truth of the gospel and to know that it is reaching people far and wide, and that it is making a difference in other people’s lives for the glory and praise of God, and for their good.

And we who believe in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives should all be ministers of the gospel of our salvation, and we should all be proclaiming the excellencies of him who called us out of darkness into his wonderful light (1 Peter 2:9). So we should all be engaged in spreading the fragrance of the knowledge of Christ/God everywhere, in victory over darkness, and in leading the people to forsake their sins and to follow the Lord Jesus in walks of holiness and righteousness, in obedience to our Lord.

But not many are going to rejoice over what we are sharing with them, especially if we are telling them the full gospel message, the whole counsel of God, and if we are not cutting the message of the gospel short in order to make people feel good or in order to not offend them with the truth. And a lot of these people who will reject what we are telling them are those who profess faith in Jesus Christ, but with a false profession of faith via a false gospel message which is telling them lies which are sending them to hell.

But those who they are listening to are speaking from the flesh, and not from the Spirit of God, for the Spirit does not speak lies, but the truth. So if you are being convinced that you can make a one-time profession of faith in Jesus Christ, have all your sins forgiven, and now be guaranteed heaven as your eternal destiny, regardless of how you live, and absent of denial of self, death to sin and to self, and of walks of obedience to our Lord, then you are being fed lies, and not the truth.

For Jesus said that if anyone would come after him that he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin and to self) and follow him in obedience. For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin and for self, we will lose them for eternity. But if for the sake of Jesus we die to sin and live to his righteousness, in his power and strength, then we have the hope of eternal life with God. For Jesus said that if we deny him (by our actions) he will deny us when he returns (Luke 9:23-26; cf. Romans 6:1-23). Also:

[Matt 10:33; Lu 9:26; 2 Tim 2:12; 2 Tim 3:5; Tit 1:16; 2 Pet 2:1; Jude 1:4]

Songs in the Night

An Original Work / December 18, 2013

“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25 NIV ‘84

Lord, I praise You forevermore.
You, my Savior, I now adore.
Hope in heaven awaiting me,
Because You died at Calvary.

I have been forgiven,
And I’m bound for heaven.
Jesus set me free from
All my sin, I say.
I will praise Him always!

Lord, I love You for all You’ve done:
Overcame death, my vict’ry won!
Jesus saved me, and now I’m free!