Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a argument for both Jesus said turn the other cheek he meant just that. Now I have heard preacher over and over again say he did not mean that but he did. That said.

God also raises up people to put down evil and violent men. King David was such man. We know God is unchanging so God did not all of sudden say well its ok for David and now Jesus came it is not ok. God is unchanging. You have to obey God in your heart.

If some one was trying to hurt your children would you protect them? Yes, would it be wrong of you to protect your children? No, you are loving your children. Some times a person must protect themselves or others. Some people God has made for this purpose. God puts people in authority to punish the wicked.

Paul was beat many times and never fought back, not everyone is that strong. Jesus was beat and murder and never stopped them though he could have. The idea is to be like Jesus, but not everyone in fact few if any can be.

I have let some one punch me as hard as they could in the face and then i protected them afterwards when people were trying to hurt him for it. God put the mindset in me to do this. Now when I did this act the people turned on me and began roughing me up. after they were done A Hebrew letter was burned in my hand, Now they did not put it there. It was like some one brand me with it. I do not speak Hebrew so I had no idea what it meant, so I ran to the sink and washed it under water for about 5 mins and it went away. Years later I describe the letter to my Jewish friend, she said it meant Life. I think God was trying to tell me following him perfectly is Life.True Life.

Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do Baptists believe that self-defense is morally licit? If so, what are the bible passages that justify the use of self-defense? Thank you.
"Licit." Not a commonly used word that I run into, but I think I get your drift.

There is one passage in the Bible where Jesus was preparing the disciples prior to his crucifixion I think that sanctioned the use of weapons for self defense:

And he said to them, "When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?" They said, "Nothing." He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors.' For what is written about me has its fulfillment." And they said, "Look, Lord, here are two swords." And he said to them, "It is enough." (Luke 22:35-38, ESV)

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"Licit." Not a commonly used word that I run into, but I think I get your drift.

There is one passage in the Bible where Jesus was preparing the disciples prior to his crucifixion I think that sanctioned the use of weapons for self defense:

And he said to them, "When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?" They said, "Nothing." He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors.' For what is written about me has its fulfillment." And they said, "Look, Lord, here are two swords." And he said to them, "It is enough." (Luke 22:35-38, ESV)

Great answer :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

saintboniface

Jan 1, 2014
✟15,501.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I don't think the Old Testament holds up against Jesus' statement to "turn the other cheek" or Jesus' statement to the Apostle "to put away his sword" after striking the high priest's servant.

I don't think Luke 22:35 is saying anything about self-defense. How can two swords be enough? Why did Jesus tell the apostle to put away his sword just a short time later? If anything, the order to buy a sword is an order to "get spiritually ready because violence will be done to you from this point forward." This is putting a clear cut "turn the other cheek" against a vague order to buy a sword. Certainly, a tough argument to make.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the Old Testament holds up against Jesus' statement to "turn the other cheek" or Jesus' statement to the Apostle "to put away his sword" after striking the high priest's servant.

I don't think Luke 22:35 is saying anything about self-defense. How can two swords be enough? Why did Jesus tell the apostle to put away his sword just a short time later? If anything, the order to buy a sword is an order to "get spiritually ready because violence will be done to you from this point forward." This is putting a clear cut "turn the other cheek" against a vague order to buy a sword. Certainly, a tough argument to make.

doesn't put the two at odds at all, Jesus new many would not be able to turn the other cheek

Upvote 0

saintboniface

Jan 1, 2014
✟15,501.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
doesn't put the two at odds at all, Jesus new many would not be able to turn the other cheek

Did the Apostles go out and buy some swords? Of course not. Because Jesus wasn't instructing them to literally go out and buy swords to defend themselves from people like pre-conversion Paul.

Upvote 0

saintboniface

Jan 1, 2014
✟15,501.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a double standard for many bible only Christians. They say, "Where does it explicitly condemn contraceptives in the bible?" They say, "God would have mentioned it specifically like other sins if it was a sin." But when it comes to self-defense, and there doesn't seem to be any strong passages supporting self-defense, they don't concede the point.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Did the Apostles go out and buy some swords? Of course not. Because Jesus wasn't instructing them to literally go out and buy swords to defend themselves from people like pre-conversion Paul.

no they did not buy them because they told Jesus they had two and Jesus said that would be enough.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a double standard for many bible only Christians. They say, "Where does it explicitly condemn contraceptives in the bible?" They say, "God would have mentioned it specifically like other sins if it was a sin." But when it comes to self-defense, and there doesn't seem to be any strong passages supporting self-defense, they don't concede the point.

That is not true king David is a great story about it. You can not throw out the OT because Jesus came He did not come to erase the word but to explain and full fill it. God is unchanging so if he blessed David He would bless a person He chose today.

There are times when a person has to protect his family, and it is perfectly fine to do so.

Just today there was a group of thugs standing in front of the doors to a story blocking entrance, me and my family walked through them. I was in protection mode. I had my wife and 6 year old son with me. I would have used maximum force to protect them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

saintboniface

Jan 1, 2014
✟15,501.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is not true king David is a great story about it. You can not throw out the OT because Jesus came He did not come to erase the word but to explain and full fill it. God is unchanging so if he blessed David He would bless a person He chose today.

There are times when a person has to protect his family, and it is perfectly fine to do so.

Tell me the passages you are referring to. Is it about David's personal self-defense or the self-defense of a nation. Those are two different things.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Can we justify Exodus 21:23-24 vs Matthew 5:38-39?

At it's very root, we will have to contrast the differences between the Old and the New. God doesn't change, but His covenant with us surely did.

I believe Jesus also spoke the eye for an eye thing meant do on to others as you would have done to you.

Jesus spoke of not repaying evil with evil. I don't believe protecting my loved ones from harm is evil, but the opposite it is a righteous act.

It still does change the fact that God is unchanging. If he rose up a warrior such as David, He can and will do it again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Tell me the passages you are referring to. Is it about David's personal self-defense or the self-defense of a nation. Those are two different things.

How are the two different? I a nation not made up of people?

David killed a lion and bear, and defeated Goliath.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
debatable.

:D

Just remember that a "fruit" of the Spirit is self-control (Gal 5).

I have had "fits of rage" before. I can't recall ever "blacking out" though. I have heard stories though. That said, I've made several threads on the topic and will digress.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Think about your sister or your daughter! If a gang of degenerates were beating her, ripping her clothes off, and about to sexually assault her and there was a police officer who came upon this WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE HIM DO?

Lets say there was no police officer nearby but a civilian, a citizen, came upon that situation WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE HIM DO? (CALL THE POLICE AND WATCH???)

Jesus said do unto others as you would have done unto you right? Well what would you want for your daughter or sister in that situation? I'd want mine to be carrying a Handgun and to be able to defend herself.
2hdbrqg.jpg

I carry a handgun and I have a AR-15 at home which I keep for home defense purposes. The irony is that this has ACTUALLY kept me from having to defend myself!!!! My sister disconnected my brakes 3 times and attempted to do it a 4th time but by that time I had put an alarm in. This was over an argument we got into about abortion. She lost the debate and decided to try and kill me.

Why didn't she try to jump me with her friends and stab me? (She has threatened to stab me many many times) I am guessing because back when we were getting along she saw my collection. She not only knew I had a carry permit but also saw the AK I kept propped up in the corner of my room next to the bed. (Safety on and pointed in a safe direction, furthermore I lock up my Rifles and usually only keep one out when I am home, when leaving I'll lock it up. I am always anal about safety)

She also saw my traditionally forged Katana. She was shown that to and the knives she has (A Ka-Bar and a CRKT Neck Knife) where given to her by me. She has also seen my 5 inch long 3 inch thick Gerber fixed blade and the homemade rig I made so that the sheath would hang concealed under my shirt right by my kidney.

I actually have been known to give people weapons for free when they are in desperate situations. In the case of my sister, when I gave her the knives, she had just left an extremely violent and abusive husband and took the kid.

Why were two swords enough for the apostles? BECAUSE THAT WOULD KEEP THEM FROM BEING ROBBED! Most criminals are cowards! (Most).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe Jesus also spoke the eye for an eye thing meant do on to others as you would have done to you.
Jesus is God. God is the one who made the eye for an eye law. It is in the Torah. Now this (LAW) was supposed to be enforced by the government after a fair trial.

This verse wasn't saying to go around willy nilly poking peoples eyes out because they ticked you off.

Biblical Self-Defense: What does the Bible say about self-defense? Bible study about self-defense questions: Can a Christian own a gun? What do the Scriptures say about using lethal force for self-protection?

God also made the law that says a thief in the night is fair game.(Exodus 22) Jesus is God.(Isaiah 9:6, John Chapter 1, John 10:30) He is the same yesterday, today, and forever(Hebrews 13)

Please use SCRIPTURE TO INTERPRIT SCRIPTURE! It is ok to use your Kung Fu to defend your and others Family Blue Lion.

Upvote 0