Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A truly brilliant (and mind-boggling) article about creation can be found here:
sbts.edu/resources/category/journal-of-theology/sbjt-111-spring-2007

(Sorry, I don't have 50 posts yet so I can't give you the live link.)

This is an excellent study to add to your evangelism materials. The article to look for is: "What Science Tells Us about the Age of the Creation" by Kurt P. Wise

Janet

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PDPLANT

Apr 17, 2010
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Janet for your input. I really can't personally accept the YEC (Young Earth Creationists) position. It just seems illogical for God to have created dinosaur bones and not the dinosaurs. Some scientists now refer to the Evangelical YEC people as "CULTS" who are not in touch with reality. I did, however, read your referenced article by Kurt P. Wise. Dan

Upvote 0

Amy7

Jul 1, 2009
✟7,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PDPlant,
I don't think you're being unreasonable. I'm going to be blunt here...young Earth Creationism is an embarassment to the church, an obstacle to mission and a distraction from the gospel. I would never join a YEC church because I don't feel that I could invite non-Christians to one. Knowing my luck we'd get the one Sunday where the preacher was banging on about dinosaurs in the Ark or whatever and they'd go away thinking that Christians were mad ( But then I live in Europe....probably 80% of European Christians wouldn't touch YEC stuff with a bargepole, never mind non-Christians!).

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think in a lot of cases, you're just going to have to ask. I've been involved in Southern Baptist churches in the past, and I've known many of the members and leadership to take an extreme YEC position---but then I know of a pastor of a church I attended that said that it basically wasn't his area of expertise and members could believe YEC or OEC depending upon their conscience. So, even in a very conservative denomination, you may find a congregation that at least is accepting of scientific truth.

Other than that, if I can put in a plug for my own denomination--I'm a United Methodist, and our church is full of theistic evolutionists, so you might want to check us out.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a member of a large evangelical church. I just finished college biology 101. In a recent sermon, our pastor said there must have been a pair of baby T-Rexs on Noah's ark. YEC (Young Earth Creationism) is not for me. I'm seeking an "Old (4.6 billion years) Earth Creationism" Christian Church. Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead; God saved me thru grace!
LOL I think you will not find a church like that. I strongly believe the Earth is perhaps a billion years old, or older. I believe humans have been around for only about six thousand of those years, but the Earth has been populated by humanoids far far longer than that.
Read Genesis again. In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth, 2 The Earth became without form and void... God created? The Earth became without form and void? How did that happen? Why? Then God had to rebuild the Earth beginning in vs 3? Again Why?...All of this is ignored by the Christian churchs Again Why?

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is this a large enough issue for you to consider leaving churches? What are you qualifications for a church? and what are you trying to get as a result of going to church?
Are most of your pastor's sermons about YEC? Is this the problem, or is it that you feel that the pastor is ignorant in one area and could be ignorant in others?

I suggest that you focus on finding a church that has an accurate view on Jesus, and what he has done, and not nessisarily science, and what evolution has done. Biology is not the pastor's area of expertise, so give him a break, if it really bugs you, meet with him and explain your position.
Interestingly enough...If you don't believe what God says in one area, all the other areas are affected by your disbelief...If you don't even know how the Earth came to be, and its history, how can you understand many of the things that occurred in the Word?.....How would you explain, for example, why God ordered those peoples to be wiped out, men women children, livestock, everything..What God just vindictive or what? Ask your pastor why God ordered that....You'll be told "Oh Gee...He must have had His reasons..." But what were those reasons? Hmmmm?

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am a member of a large evangelical church. I just finished college biology 101. In a recent sermon, our pastor said there must have been a pair of baby T-Rexs on Noah's ark. YEC (Young Earth Creationism) is not for me. I'm seeking an "Old (4.6 billion years) Earth Creationism" Christian Church. Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead; God saved me thru grace!
The Catholic Church allows for belief in old earth and evolution; in fact, I think this view is preferred.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

What if that pastor is right and you are wrong? If you stay on the road you are on in about 10 years from now you will have dismissed away all the books in the bible. So far you have tossed out Genesis. Sorry, no six day creation no need for Christ. Have you even once considered that the bible is right and your biology classes that are clearly indoctrinating you with evolution are wrong?

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if that pastor is right and you are wrong? If you stay on the road you are on in about 10 years from now you will have dismissed away all the books in the bible. So far you have tossed out Genesis. Sorry, no six day creation no need for Christ. Have you even once considered that the bible is right and your biology classes that are clearly indoctrinating you with evolution are wrong?
Dinosaurs were cryptid a. They were not on the ark

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying a secular belief system disproves the word of God?
How would an 'old Earth church' disprove Gods Word? Most churches preach tradition instead of preaching Word...An old Earth church would prove Gods Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums