Seeking "Old Earth" Christian Church

PDPLANT

Apr 17, 2010
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am a member of a large evangelical church. I just finished college biology 101. In a recent sermon, our pastor said there must have been a pair of baby T-Rexs on Noah's ark. YEC (Young Earth Creationism) is not for me. I'm seeking an "Old (4.6 billion years) Earth Creationism" Christian Church. Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead; God saved me thru grace!

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is this a large enough issue for you to consider leaving churches? What are you qualifications for a church? and what are you trying to get as a result of going to church?
Are most of your pastor's sermons about YEC? Is this the problem, or is it that you feel that the pastor is ignorant in one area and could be ignorant in others?

I suggest that you focus on finding a church that has an accurate view on Jesus, and what he has done, and not nessisarily science, and what evolution has done. Biology is not the pastor's area of expertise, so give him a break, if it really bugs you, meet with him and explain your position.

Upvote 0

PDPLANT

Apr 17, 2010
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I find the geological history of the earth fascinating! If churches and pastors are open about the age of the earth; that is fine. It's when they say the Grand Canyon was created in a few MONTHS by receding flood waters from the great flood -- I do feel the pastor is ignorant in that area and makes one question his other areas.

Upvote 0

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find the geological history of the earth fascinating! If churches and pastors are open about the age of the earth; that is fine. It's when they say the Grand Canyon was created in a few MONTHS by receding flood waters from the great flood -- I do feel the pastor is ignorant in that area and makes one question his other areas.

Will his geological ignorance effect how well he understands and teaches the gospel?

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am a member of a large evangelical church. I just finished college biology 101. In a recent sermon, our pastor said there must have been a pair of baby T-Rexs on Noah's ark. YEC (Young Earth Creationism) is not for me. I'm seeking an "Old (4.6 billion years) Earth Creationism" Christian Church. Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead; God saved me thru grace!
Kind of a silly reason to want to find another church, IMO. The age of the earth has nothing to do with the Gospel...and the Gospel is what church is all about, not science.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Actually I think its a big issue, not because of the inherent issue itself but how intellectualism is taken at the church in question. In my experience, churches that teach YEC do their best to avoid intellectual discourage on a large variety of subjects including the scriptural implications of such a thought.

It's not my scene, I like intellectual discourse. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PDPLANT

Apr 17, 2010
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Aibrean -- I have learned how to reply to a specific post yet -- Yes, taking the Bible too literally is not necessarily good. For example Genesis 1:5 in my NIV version of the Bible in the footnote states " some people believe in a 24 hour earth day -- OTHERS BELIEVE IN AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME". A "Day" to God is not necessarily a 24 hour earth day. And the Bible does not say that the earth is 6000 years old -- that is computations that men have added when they add up geneology lists in Genesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Kind of a silly reason to want to find another church, IMO. The age of the earth has nothing to do with the Gospel...and the Gospel is what church is all about, not science.
This is true. :amen:
Actually I think its a big issue, not because of the inherent issue itself but how intellectualism is taken at the church in question. In my experience, churches that teach YEC do their best to avoid intellectual discourage on a large variety of subjects including the scriptural implications of such a thought.

It's not my scene, I like intellectual discourse. :)
But so is this! :clap:

My church (an Assemblies of God affiliate) doesn't make a big deal of exactly how Creation happened one way or the other. We're free to have our own beliefs on it. That suits me just fine.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks IZDAARI-- I will check it out. PDPLANT
One thing about AG: the central organization is pretty loose, and individual churches have a lot of autonomy. That means they vary quite a bit. Some are very conservative, others are more liberal, like mine. (That is, there's no way AG would be considered a liberal church, but mine is relatively liberal within the AG range.) I love my particular AG church, but I'm not sure I'd like most of them.

Upvote 0

Lemmiwinks

Mar 10, 2009
✟15,703.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Kind of a silly reason to want to find another church, IMO.

The issue can be very emotional and it does lead to squabbles. Going to a church that is more in keeping with the OPs beliefs makes sense since Christians have no lack of things to fight eachother over, may as well do what you can to minimize unnecessary friction.

Upvote 0