Louisiana
✟11,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do people treat almost all things as absolutes when it comes to the teachings in the Scriptures? Are people trying to put God "in a box"?

What made people think great men like Noah or Job were not righteous? Because of Romans 3:10?

Why would you think God would not let certain people to experience death and come back to life? Because of Hebrews 9:27? Do you think it's too hard for God to repeat what He did to Lazarus (brother of Mary and Martha)?

Is it really that hard to understand that God can make exemptions?

I could site a lot of scriptural teachings, but I really think the big problem with people is their tendency to apply dichotomy on everything. I believe it played a significant role on why we have false doctrines like "easy believism" and "work salvation".

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

No. But it takes years of taking in Scripture to get the feel of it IMO. We take years to learn hobbies, read favorite authors, start a career, yet will spend little time learning of God to the point we don't fall for "plausible arguments" (Colossians 2:4 ESV).

Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Why do people treat almost all things as absolutes when it comes to the teachings in the Scriptures? Are people trying to put God "in a box"?

What made people think great men like Noah or Job were not righteous? Because of Romans 3:10?

Why would you think God would not let certain people to experience death and come back to life? Because of Hebrews 9:27? Do you think it's too hard for God to repeat what He did to Lazarus (brother of Mary and Martha)?

I could site a lot of scriptural teachings, but I really think the big problem with people is their tendency to apply dichotomy on everything. I believe it played a significant role on why we have false doctrines like "easy believism" and "work salvation".

I can see Noah not being righteous wholly (got drunk) after the Flood, but people who denigrate Job mystify me for he did nothing wrong that we know of.

God certainly can raise the dead back to a mortal life.

I don't know why people say these things, perhaps a dose of Psalm 130 (131 in Hebrew) is in order:

"O Lord, my heart has not been exalted, and my eyes have not been raised up. Neither have I walked in greatness, nor in wonders beyond me. When I was not humble in thought, then I lifted up my soul. Like one who has been weaned from his mother, so was I recompensed in my soul. Let Israel hope in the Lord, from this time forward and even forever."

May the Good Lord keep us from trespassing and asserting things about His domain and wonders that we don't know. It is a temptation of man to try and categorize and "know everything" but God overturns that all the time, it must be resisted.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
There certainly ARE absolutes in Scripture. But our understanding and restatement of them for the purpose of assisting others to understand them, are always short of the reality of truth.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,277,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Isaiah 55:8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Even in a Glorified state we will still be less than God at His weakest state.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The joy of this world is that nothing is black and white. We are meant to explore, analyse and at times like Sir Roger De Coverley in, I think the essays of Addison, school is a long time ago, say "Much can be said on both sides." A phrase I find very valid. I have always believed that deep truths come in story form as truth is deeper than the human mind can fully comprehend as there is always more to explore. Like science etc. knowledge expands. We discovered the atom then the electrons, protons and then quarks etc. The spiritual realm is similar. We have scriptures then relationship with the word and then personal intimate relationship with G-d and ....
In LOve
Jay SEa

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The joy of this world is that nothing is black and white.

Your avatar is black and white.
Police cars are.
1955-ford-police-cruiser-passenger-side-1581002340472@2x.jpg

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟130,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are some things that are absolute, but the things you cite are not exceptions but issues of perception. When it says none are righteous, it is comparative because none are righteous before God. We have all sinned and cannot be saved by our righteousness alone. Yet the Bible can say that some are righteous because they do not stand in their own merits, but instead recognize their need for God to deliver them. Job, Noah, Daniel are all righteous not because they did not sin but because they sought their righteousness in God.

Often the issue comes down to context, especially when the Bible is given addresses that make it possible to reference information piecemeal and instead of working with the whole cloth of Scripture building our own little quilts of human doctrine from scraps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God created the Cosmos to have no exceptions. It's not that he couldn't have, it's just what He did.

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
God created the Cosmos to have no exceptions. It's not that he couldn't have, it's just what He did.

God created all with wisdom, how could He then do it differently to contain no wisdom ?

The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God..

Proverbs 3:19 The Lord by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
20 By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.

1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Skywriting is a perfect example of this foolishness of this worlds wisdom, thinking because they know some words of scripture, they can discuss with other such " wise) people about Gods topics, when God said this to them:

Psalm 50:16 But unto the wicked God saith, What hast thou to do to declare my statutes, or that thou shouldest take my covenant in thy mouth?
17 Seeing thou hatest instruction, and casteth my words behind thee.
18 When thou sawest a thief, then thou consentedst with him, and hast been partaker with adulterers.
19 Thou givest thy mouth to evil, and thy tongue frameth deceit.
20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
There are some things that are absolute, but the things you cite are not exceptions but issues of perception. When it says none are righteous, it is comparative because none are righteous before God. We have all sinned and cannot be saved by our righteousness alone. Yet the Bible can say that some are righteous because they do not stand in their own merits, but instead recognize their need for God to deliver them. Job, Noah, Daniel are all righteous not because they did not sin but because they sought their righteousness in God.

Often the issue comes down to context, especially when the Bible is given addresses that make it possible to reference information piecemeal and instead of working with the whole cloth of Scripture building our own little quilts of human doctrine from scraps.

By their own righteousness...

Ezekiel 14:20 Though Noah, Daniel, and Job were in it, as I live, saith the Lord God, they shall deliver neither son nor daughter; they shall but deliver their own souls by their righteousness.

But not trusting their own righteousness to then commit sin..

Ezekiel 33:13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.

Then they without us were not made perfect, now they still sin and are even more backwards in words, hearts and their lives..

Hebrews 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Skywriting is a perfect example of this foolishness of this worlds wisdom, thinking because they know some words of scripture, they can discuss with other such " wise) people about Gods topics, when God said this to them

When swirling down the drain, attack the writer of the post as the source of evil before going under.

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
When swirling down the drain, attack the writer of the post as the source of evil before going under.

2 Corinthians 13:4 For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Skywriting is a perfect example of this foolishness of this worlds wisdom, thinking because they know some words of scripture, they can discuss with other ....

I have memorized no scripture at all. I do research for each topic using a topical search.
I generally do new research each time on a subject.

But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment; and whosoever shall say to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be in danger of the council; but whosoever shall say, ‘Thou fool,’ shall be in danger of hell fire.
Matthew 5:22

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
I have memorized no scripture at all. I do research for each topic using a topical search.
I generally do new research each time on a subject.

/QUOTE]

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Upvote 0