Peterthepebble

Sep 29, 2004
✟15,299.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I need some clarity on this issue as it has bugged me for the longest time. I don't know if this is the correct forum for this thread, but I wanted to throw this out, especially to Americans.
In the UK we have GOD TV on SKY. We watch a particular Christian channel running through their annual fund raising marathon, showing important Christian guests, speakers and worship leaders espousing that particular TV Ministries Godly credentials and if you give a seed you will expect a blessing.
question:
Why is it that they feel that if you give a one off seed offering(money)to their particular ministry, that you will get blessed or have your prayers answered, while the same person may have tithed to their local church for years. What is so special about these TV ministries that appear to override years of giving to a local church?
I also read of testimonies of people who send an offering, again to a TV or famous ministry and get blessed straight away, but these same people may have again been giving to their local church for years.
Why are TV ministries more anointed than local churches?
Also If you send a prayer request to a famous ministry, suddenly the prayers answered, according to some testimonies I have heard and read.
Again what makes TV or famous ministry prayers more "lucrative" than your own?
If anyone out there has a testimony of this sort, please enlighten me then I know that for my prayers to be answered more quickly, then I just have to find a TV ministry to hook up with.
Excuse my cynicism, I am just a little puzzled...

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
:wave:I own this bridge.:cool: I can sell it to you real cheap. ;)

Attachments

• London Bridge.jpg
    London Bridge.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible teaches that prayers are answered by faith in accordance with the will of God, its not a pay-to-play system.

That's not to say you shouldn't support the teachers that feed you good and solid biblical doctrine. If you are growing in spiritual maturity as a result of their teaching then you have an obligation to support their ministry, just as the tithes are offered each week to a (hopefully) faithful church.

Now if you give, not for the purpose of supporting a solid ministry or advancing the Kingdom by taking mercy on the poor and widowed, but rather give to just anyone for the sole purpose of somehow obtaining some blessing from God, its greed, and its a sin.

Unfortunately, many ministers these days on TV just follow the lines of give to me and God will give to you, which is really a form of law, "If you do THIS, then God must do THAT."

You know who feeds you. Support them willingly and cheerfully.

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can gaurantee you that a gift to a television ministry doesn't get your prayer answered any faster than a gift to your local church. Also, I believe that any claims of special financial annointings if you give to me are likely false. You would have to show me precedent in scripture for that, and there is none that I can see.

In fact, Jesus speaking to the disciples regarding the widows mite seems to indicate the opposite. Jesus said that she gave more than all the rich givers did (in the eyes of God) because she gave all that she had. I would note here that she put this offering into the temple treasury, the seat of the currupt rich religious establishment of the day. This tells me that God is much more interested in why you are giving, than who you give to or how much.

I myself split my tithe. I give some to the local church, and some to parachurch organizations and ministries. I never give to minitries that beg for money, or that tie giving to their particular ministry over others as a key to answered prayers. One must be discerning. One ministry that I sow into that does not do these things is Kenneth Copeland Ministries. I have been a partner with them for many years. I cant speak for GodTV, as I dont get it where I am.

Secondly, I would advise you against trying to get quicker answers. A life of sowing and reaping is not a life of quick fixes, but of continuity and faith. You begin small, and as God increases you, your sowing can increase. This is not "sow a dollar, reap a yaht". Though I do see that by advertising some persons immediate answer to a prayer, a listener may be tempted to believe that this is how it always works, that is just not the normal way sowing and reaping works. These are examples couched in hyperbole to make a point that God honors His Word, not intended to be reproduced in the same manner or timetable for all. For ministries that manipulate this, and try to infer that it will happen this way for you every time, those I would not give to. Be discerning my friend.

I hope that this helps...

Peace...

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
God TV does actually have some good things on it every so often, but they really need to stop with this seed offering stuff and they need to stop begging. It's a shame, as it tarnishes everything else that is on there. I've seen some real horrible Old Testament scripture twisting and manipulative rubbish when they're on a money raising tip. Why can't they just quit all the tricks and stop with the selfish, man-centered "spiritual laws" invented for giving and receiving, and simply ask - in a calm, polite, honest manner - for donations from people who enjoy their ministry to help them keep it going?

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So much of what we believe is that God’s blessings depend on our performance, that if we just do the right thing, blessings will automatically follow. Jesus said that god makes his sun to shine and his rain to fall on the just and unjust alike.

I do believe that if we follow the scripture’s practical instructions we can lead fulfilled lives, but a man’s life does not consist of the abundance of the things he possesses. But I do not believe that the Bible is a book of formulas for personal achievement. If we sow “seed” with the selfish hope that it will profit us materially, I think we are missing the point of scripture. Some people actually think and preach that godliness is a means of gain.

~Jim

Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable. ~C.S. Lewis

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Due to the current uncertainty in the real estate market, could I get it from you for 20% less than you paid for it?

Peace...

I'l let you have it 10% off because it's already moved as far as Arizona for you, thereby greatly reducing your shipping and mailing costs.

Upvote 0

Labayu

Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,538.00
Faith
Christian
I know some say it's becuase you need to "release with faith for a specific purpose" and for the reciever to be "in agreement with you"...

Ie your church/minister doesn't believe that you are entitled to get from giving so you won't get what you want when you give to them. You need to to give to that TV minister who will "stand with you"... or to one of his friends!

Note: I don't agree with it, just saying where some of them are comming from.

TBH I think the root problem is theological. They believe that God is constrained by "spiritual laws" like sowing-reaping, that he then has to bless you if give a certain way and can't if you don't...

I've even heard some say that it is impossible for God to answer any prayer unless you give money first specifically for that prayer to be answered! Rory & Wendy just sat like nodding dogs saying "yess!! thats sooo awesome", "wow, so true, so true... we don't get enough of this kind of teaching in the church".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

I need some clarity on this issue as it has bugged me for the longest time. I don't know if this is the correct forum for this thread, but I wanted to throw this out, especially to Americans.
In the UK we have GOD TV on SKY. We watch a particular Christian channel running through their annual fund raising marathon, showing important Christian guests, speakers and worship leaders espousing that particular TV Ministries Godly credentials and if you give a seed you will expect a blessing.
question:
Why is it that they feel that if you give a one off seed offering(money)to their particular ministry, that you will get blessed or have your prayers answered, while the same person may have tithed to their local church for years. What is so special about these TV ministries that appear to override years of giving to a local church?
I also read of testimonies of people who send an offering, again to a TV or famous ministry and get blessed straight away, but these same people may have again been giving to their local church for years.
Why are TV ministries more anointed than local churches?
Also If you send a prayer request to a famous ministry, suddenly the prayers answered, according to some testimonies I have heard and read.
Again what makes TV or famous ministry prayers more "lucrative" than your own?
If anyone out there has a testimony of this sort, please enlighten me then I know that for my prayers to be answered more quickly, then I just have to find a TV ministry to hook up with.
Excuse my cynicism, I am just a little puzzled...

When it comes to televangelists and seed offerings........ this verse comes to mind.

2Ti 3:6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires,

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Because they are scam artists, clear and simple.

If you give to your local church the amount that GOD wants you to give, you perfectly fine in GOD's eyes.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,
We watch a particular Christian channel running through their annual fund raising marathon, showing important Christian guests, speakers and worship leaders espousing that particular TV Ministries Godly credentials and if you give a seed you will expect a blessing.

Usually with false teaching if you know the scriptures then little red flags start appearing in your mind right away. In reference to seed-faith type teachings:

Luke 8:11 NIV
The seed is the word of God.

Open and shut!

:)

Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Usually with false teaching if you know the scriptures then little red flags start appearing in your mind right away. In reference to seed-faith type teachings:

Luke 8:11 NIV
The seed is the word of God.

Open and shut!

:)

6But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
9(As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
10Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness
11Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
-2 Corinthians 9:6-11

Here the seed is money.

One must take all scripture in context. Seed has more than one meaning in scripture.

Peace...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
6But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
9(As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
10Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness
11Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

Here the seed is money.

One must take all scripture in context. Seed has more than one meaning in scripture.

Peace...

My partner and I are introducing a new product to the market.
The part number is 2C911 after 2 Corinthians 9 11

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here the seed is money.

Peace...

Also, if you add the context of that passage, from verses 1 through 15, this passage is talking about giving for the direct needs of the saints in Jerusalem, not giving to any minister or ministry as a seed. This passage was given in the light of charitable giving for the needy among the church at large.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What I love about giving is ,not letting my right hand know about the left.Not giving to get.Also in the book of Acts in chapter 2 and 4,the offering went to each other.That is also what the offering was for,in 2 Corinthians 8-9.It is wonderful to help the poor,the very thing Paul was eager to do.Gal 2:10.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting Frogster, you seem to be unable to give and expect men to give into your bosom and keep it quiet and discrete at the same time. Why would you have such a problem?

Sorry,but I dont understand your point?

Upvote 0