Jul 22, 2008
✟21,923.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's why I don't understand why Churches would hold a seder...a seder
is a celebration of Jews being granted their freedom from Egypt, and the
beginning of the creation of the Jewish nation.

For a number of them it is because they see a connection with 1 Corinthians 11 and the institution of the Lord's Supper / Communion / Last Supper etc etc.

For others it is a part of the Jewish roots of their faith into which they are grafted - Romans 11:17

For yet others there is no connection - just jumping on the Messianic bandwagon.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟32,705.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

As the lamb was slain and its blood put on the doorframe which caused Death to passover that house, thus that household escaping the death so Yeshua is seen as the Lamb whose blood covers us so that Death will not reign in us - not two contradictory views, but connected.
As Israel was freed from slavery to Egypt, Christians are freed from slavery to sin.
As those not covered by the blood of the lamb saw physical death that night, so those not covered by the blood of the Lamb will see not only physical but spiritual death.
This is the connection Christian teachings make between the two. It seems reasonable that they would want to learn of the real Seder.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
That's why I don't understand why Churches would hold a seder...a seder is a celebration of Jews being granted their freedom from Egypt, and the beginning of the creation of the Jewish nation.

If we are getting spiritual about it...and I will for a moment...

The Jewish people being granted their freedom from Egypt is a picture of what happens to us when we believe in Yeshua as Messiah - we are granted redemption.

I will bring you out...when we are far away from God we have no choice, we are slaves to sin, just as you were a slave to Pharaoh.

I will deliver you...God delivers us from our sin, we are able to leave idolatry behind and worship only him.

I will redeem you...We are redeemed by the blood of Yeshua, as you were redeemed at that time by the blood of the passover lamb.

I will take you as my own...God has brought us into the fold through our faith in Yeshua as Messiah, we now belong to him. He brings us out of sin and into relationship with him, just as he brought you out into the desert to worship him all those years ago.

You were given you natural freedom as heirs to the covenant with Abraham, we are given our spiritual freedom, and just as Abraham, by faith.

This is why we want to celebrate Passover.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well, nothing like a smart Jew to point out the obvious. Thank you.

Here's how it all works, according to actual Christianity.

The Passover Seder:

- Remembers God's work in liberating the Hebrew slaves from Egypt.
- It recalls specific events that occurred in history, for a specific people.
- The people of that liberated nation were commanded by God to annually hold a ritual meal for the remembrance (or bringing back to the present) of that mighty act of God.

The Christian Thanksgiving (eucharist):

- was instituted by Jesus, on the night He was betrayed. He showed that the Passover story was a symbol of what He was about to do for all mankind, not just the Jewish nation.
- The ritual of breaking bread, eating it, drinking wine (like the kiddish image within a Seder and weekly) was now to be done to remember God's work in liberating mankind.
- The eating of bread and drinking of wine recalls specific events that occurred in history, namely the death, burial, resurrection and future return of Jesus.
- Furthermore, the ritual meal like kiddish that Christian are commanded to observe is done for the remembrance (or bringing back to the present) of that mighty act of God.

In other words:

They are not the same thing.

One remembers and recalls some events, one remembers and recalls other events.

They do not replace nor cancel out each other. They are for different purposes.

One prefigures the other.

Yes, Christians see Jesus in the Seder, in almost every portion. This is why they like to see demonstrations of it, because in doing so they see God's hand in liberating the Jews from slavery and Pharaoh as a sign and symbol that He would liberate all mankind from sin and oppression in the life, ministry, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. They see that God left hints and signs to those who would observe the Seder about His Messiah.

Sadly, there are many here on this forum who mix the two up and together. They see Jesus as kind of a "tack on" to the Seder. They don't observe the kiddish of Jesus. They recall and observe the Exodus from Egypt and tack Jesus at the end as a kind of afterthought. It's just not kosher.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I enjoy the moment back in time with my fellow believers when Yeshua said those things.. makes it a great memorial.

OK...but do you receive His promises to you in that annual celebration? Do you partake of a leg of lamb or of the Blood of the Lamb?

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟32,705.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
OK...but do you receive His promises to you in that annual celebration? Do you partake of a leg of lamb or of the Blood of the Lamb?

Perhaps I've been doing this wrong, but we don't have lamb at the table - the Lamb is the bread and the wine.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟580,194.44
Faith
Messianic
Absolutely... that is the consistency of God.. the promises are relived in the celebration.. that is what a memorial is all about... Yeah.. I hunt for a store that sells leg of lamb.. some years I do find it.. others.. the Lord will have to accept my intent.. as I raise my cup in remembrance of the cup He drank for me.. and as I eat the unleaven bread too..remembering Him who gave His life so that I may live..

As to how.. as Paul said.. Colossians 2:16
[ Freedom From Human Rules ] Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

I will not let anyone judge me by the who, what, where or how of it..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟32,705.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Absolutely... that is the consistency of God.. the promises are relived in the celebration.. that is what a memorial is all about... Yeah.. I hunt for a store that sells leg of lamb.. some years I do find it.. others.. the Lord will have to accept my intent.. as I raise my cup in remembrance of the cup He drank for me.. and as I eat the unleaven bread too...

As to how.. as Paul said.. Colossians 2:16
[ Freedom From Human Rules ] Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

I will not let anyone judge me by the who, what, where or how of it..

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟32,705.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes they are!! Just to contrast 2 things:
In the first, the head of the household slaughtered the lamb, Lev. says the priest will do that.
In the first, the people were standing, prepared for a quick exit. Tradition now says they are to lounge and be at ease (which is understandable).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums