peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can someone please explain to me what makes this game so fun? To me it looks nothing more than a glorified 3d chatroom. Yes, I know you can code things within the game, that seems to be backfiring on them lately with the griefer groups who are making huge pressure bombs or dancing genitalia all over the screen...

CJ

You can also, race, have archery or dart competitions, Russian Roulette, etc... Lots of "minigames" if you know where to look.
There are also role-playing groups which many people take an active position with.
(Personally I wouldn't like to touch too much "gaming" in second life with a 10ft pole (from a gamers perspective)

As you have stated it is really a glorified chatroom, not really a "game", but it provides opportunities to network with different people such as those connected to Second Life non profits. Who are Representatives of not for profit organisations within SL
(Second life), where they can demo-straight different things to do with their organisation.

This is of course without mentioning the video/audio streaming capabilities which enables many people who have networked in the game to hear speeches by a specific member of the game.

Of course you are free to view it as a glorified chatroom with a few extra features but really with the advent of holodesk now in ruins, secondlife does fill that void to allow people to communicate over the Internet in a 3D (customisable) environment.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeh, I installed it about a week ago. Tried it out, ran around, looked at all the things people were doing, got incredibly bored, and uninstalled it. I think I just prefer a real game that has a purpose other than running around and talking to people. Graphics were laughable at best as well.

CJ

Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
it is not a game, and it is not to distract you.
it is what you make of it. it has great potential.
you can try out a lot of things in there before you try it out in real life.

just some thoughts

besides all that, i fully agree with you ! *LOL*

greetings

Markus

Upvote 0

Ailanthus

Tree of Heaven
Aug 8, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟2,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Second Life really isn't a game at all; it's an alter ego. This is RPG in ist fullest extent. In the "game" you create the person you want to be and explore a unique, player-built world.
There really isn't any "game" to this game. It's an alternate reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can someone please explain to me what makes this game so fun? To me it looks nothing more than a glorified 3d chatroom. Yes, I know you can code things within the game, that seems to be backfiring on them lately with the griefer groups who are making huge pressure bombs or dancing genitalia all over the screen...

CJ
Over at joystiq they constantly post stuff about it. Funnily enough, barely anyone comments on the news items. Why? Because no one cares about Second Life.

Glorified, boring as chat room. MMORPG's are bad enough let alone taking out the fighting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah it’s a MUSH. Generally mmog’s are MUD’s such as EQ being loosely based on DikuMUD. MUD means Multi-User-Dungeon, Domain or Dimensions but usually Dungeon and this applies well to most mmorpg‘s (massively multiplayer on-line role playing game), same thing.

A MUSH is a Multi-User Shared Hallucination, Hack, Holodeck or Habitat; a social game. Though it is not yet a full blown MUSH (yet) it shares many characteristics such as generally revolving around a chat room environment and also the limited ability at this time to upload content into the world (i.e. graphics, animations, sounds etc..). But over time SL will most likely evolve into a true MUSH (e.g. ability to allow player created zones/areas) where players will mold the game world into their own creation, though not resembling a regular MUD in many rights.

:D http://www.getafirstlife.com/

Upvote 0
Over at joystiq they constantly post stuff about it. Funnily enough, barely anyone comments on the news items. Why? Because no one cares about Second Life.
Which is why big corporations like adidas, and a variety of universities have taken interest into developing a virtual world... Ohh wait, uhh. :p

If you want to sit and num your brain playing some random game, SL is not for you, if you want to spend sometime learning and developing in a virtual environment where with time you can earn real money, network with people, etc, SL may be for you.

Upvote 0