Second Law of Thermodynamics - a creationist puzzle.

rjw

Mar 2, 2004
✟1,624.00
Faith
Atheist
Hi All,

According to creationists, life having evolved and life continuing to evolve are impossible because evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics (2LoT).

Allowing for this to be true, can any creationist tell me how life manages to survive nevertheless, in this world where it cannot evolve without violating 2LoT?

Regards, Roland

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi All,

According to creationists, life having evolved and life continuing to evolve are impossible because evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics (2LoT).

Allowing for this to be true, can any creationist tell me how life manages to survive nevertheless, in this world where it cannot evolve without violating 2LoT?

Regards, Roland
I could be wrong on this (what else is old?), but abiogenesis cannot occur in a universe that is winding down into a state of maximum entropy, due to the shear amount of energy that would be required to "kick start" life in the first place. Not to mention continually supplying that molecule with the exact amount of energy (no less, no more) and nurturing it and giving it viability. The Enthropic Principle contains a very fragile set of requirements that would, in my opinion, render abiogenesis impossible.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I could be wrong on this (what else is old?), but abiogenesis cannot occur in a universe that is winding down into a state of maximum entropy, due to the shear amount of energy that would be required to "kick start" life in the first place.

Incredibly wrong, AV -- how much energy does it take to "kick start" life, anyway?

Not to mention continually supplying that molecule with the exact amount of energy (no less, no more) and nurturing it and giving it viability.

Which would explain why life would've originated in the seas -- water makes a great filter, variable depending on depth.

The Enthropic Principle contains a very fragile set of requirements that would, in my opinion, render abiogenesis impossible.

Your opinion is based on faulty premises. But thank you for playing.

Upvote 0

StormyNormal

Aug 5, 2008
✟7,612.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does a man synthesizing from dirt violate 2LoT?

Man didn't synthesize himself and since be made all of the laws he could and did break them not only durng the creation but also after in the following miracles. That is one the faith based objects involved in creation similar to the bigbang which requires faith as well. Wait... Doesn't that make it a religion. Why do I have to pay to have that religion taught?

Upvote 0

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I could be wrong on this (what else is old?), but abiogenesis cannot occur in a universe that is winding down into a state of maximum entropy, due to the shear amount of energy that would be required to "kick start" life in the first place.

Out of curiosity, I Googled 'solar power density'... found this;

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1998/ManicaPiputbundit.shtml

For those who are actually curious about how much energy do we really have to work with to overcome entropy... the Sun delivers to the Earth roughly 5 million horsepower of energy per square mile of surface area. (average ~1.4 kW/m^2) Wow. That's plenty of energy top kick start all sorts of things (life, weather, etc). Thanks for your nay-saying AVVEt, it led to learning... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Patashu

Veteran
Oct 22, 2007
✟16,793.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Man didn't synthesize himself and since be made all of the laws he could and did break them not only durng the creation but also after in the following miracles. That is one the faith based objects involved in creation similar to the bigbang which requires faith as well. Wait... Doesn't that make it a religion. Why do I have to pay to have that religion taught?
The big bang theory is an extrapolation and backed up by the evidence. This requires faith why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrunkenWrestler

Eat your Wheaties and know your logical fallacies.
Dec 20, 2003
$1 reject store
✟10,355.00
Faith
Atheist
Man didn't synthesize himself and since be made all of the laws he could and did break them not only durng the creation but also after in the following miracles.
If you're gonna add magical fairies to the equation, why not say god was behind evolution? Why not say the Earth is really flat and god manipulates light around camera lenses to make photographs of the Earth seem round? In fact, if you add magical fairies to the equation, you can make up any ludacris idea! Everything's possible in Barbie world.

And if you're gonna say god is allowed to break laws, what's to stop him from breaking his own moral code and writing an entire book of falsehoods? He could break his own rule and send good people to Hell and bad people to Heaven, so why bother worshipping? He could drown an entire planet and still be benevolent. Oh wait, he already does that.

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Oxygen would disrupt the reactions before they even got started.
Before any confusion arises, oxygen was added to the atmosphere by photosynthetic organisms long after life initially formed. That led to what was possibly one of the first major extinction events.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oxygen would disrupt the reactions before they even got started.
Then do it in a laboratory. Put the ingredients for life in a Bell Jar (I think it's called), pump out the air, and subject said ingredients to the sun.

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Then do it in a laboratory. Put the ingredients for life in a Bell Jar (I think it's called), pump out the air, and subject said ingredients to the sun.
Its not about getting rid of the air, it's getting the right air.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That would then leave the realm of spontaneity and enter the realm of scientific experimentation.

And anyway, we don't see it probably because it's not there, but if it were, there'd be no way for us to monitor every inch of the world for spontaneously-forming life.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship

It wont work due to time restraints. life took billions of years. Thus scientists don't have the life spans to create life in a lab.

we don't see new life because of these time restraints and because this world has hostile organisms that would snuff out this new life before we would likely have a chance to discover it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its not about getting rid of the air, it's getting the right air.

That would then leave the realm of spontaneity and enter the realm of scientific experimentation.

And anyway, we don't see it probably because it's not there, but if it were, there'd be no way for us to monitor every inch of the world for spontaneously-forming life.
In that case, I vote GOD DID IT, without the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics in operation.

Upvote 0