Jan 18, 2011
✟15,475.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The following is a list of scriptural passages that show either the existence of, or the necessity of Purgatory. There may be additional scriptures that need to be added to this list, but it is the most complete list I have seen so far.

New Testament​

2 Timothy 1:16-18 – Paul prays for mercy for his dead friend Onesiphorus. 16 “May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains. 17 On the contrary, when he was in Rome, he searched hard for me until he found me. 18 May the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day (Judgment Day)! You know very well in how many ways he helped me in Ephesus”.

All the commentaries I have read on this passage suggest that Paul’s friend is dead. The general context of the passage seems to be one of a funeral. Paul is praying for the family of the deceased, much like we do today. Paul is also praying that God will be merciful on his friend on Judgement Day. Question? Why is Paul praying for a dead person? What purpose would this serve? This Passage parallels 2 Samuel 1:12 below.

Matthew 5:25-26 – “… Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny” (made restitution for the harm our sins have caused). See 2 Samuel 12:13-14 below

Luke 12:58-59 - “… I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the very last penny”.
Note, for the above two verses See the parallel case in Matthew 18:34 (18:22-34).

In the above verses of Matthew and Luke, Our Lord is using the idea of a debtor’s prison (something the people were very familiar with), to teach then about another type of prison – a spiritual prison – Purgatory!

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 - “…the person will be saved, but only as through fire.” Also see Hebrews 12:5-3, and Hebrews 12:5-23. “… and the spirits of the just made perfect”.

Matthew 12:32 – “And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come”. There are two parts (meanings) to this passage. The term “speaks against the Holy Spirit” (also known as the sin against the Holy Spirit) refers to the unforgivable sin of final impenitence – refusing to repent. Without repentance, a person’s sins can never be forgiven.

Now the second part - “neither in this world, nor in the world to come”, indicates that some sins can be forgiven after death. These are minor sins and imperfections, which are not serious enough to send us to hell, but must be atoned for before we can enter heaven. See Revelation 21:27 below. Also see 1 John 5:16-17, and Luke 12:47-48 for the distinction between serious (mortal) sins, and lesser (venial) sins. John refers to these as a sin unto death, and a sin not unto death.

Matthew 12:36 – “But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof on the Day of Judgment”. Also see supporting verses 1 John 5:16-17, and Luke 12:47-48.

Matthew 5:48Be ye perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Revelation 21:27 - (The heavenly Jerusalem) - And there shall not enter into it anything defiled (impure, unclean, etc. – in other words, no imperfections in heaven). See the next verse below.

Old Testament​

Habakkuk 1:13 – “Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate iniquity” – Parallels Revelation 21:27 above.

2 Samuel 1:11-12 - “David …and his men …and they mourned, and wept, and fasted until evening for Saul, and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of the Lord … because they had fallen by the sword”. Fasting is a form of prayer and penance – in this case, for the dead. This passage parallels (correlates with) 2 Timothy 1:16-18, above where Paul is praying for his dead friend Onesiphorus.

2 Samuel 12:13-14 And David said to Nathan: “I have sinned against the Lord”. And Nathan said to David: “The Lord also hath taken away thy sin: thou shall not die.14 Nevertheless, because thou hast given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, for this thing, the child that is born to thee, shall surely die”. Note! This verse shows that, even though our sins are forgiven, we must still make up for the harm those sins have caused, either temporal or spiritual.

2 Maccabees 12:43-45 - 43 …46 “it is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from their sins”. This verse from Maccabees is the most direct scripture reference to Purgatory (which is why Martin Luther removed it. See Revelation 22:18-19).

Last edited:

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The following is a list of scriptural passages that show either the existence of, or the necessity of Purgatory. There may be additional scriptures that need to be added to this list, but it is the most complete list I have seen so far.

New Testament​

2 Timothy 1:16-18 – Paul prays for mercy for his dead friend Onesiphorus. 16 “May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains. 17 On the contrary, when he was in Rome, he searched hard for me until he found me. 18 May the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day (Judgment Day)! You know very well in how many ways he helped me in Ephesus”.

All the commentaries I have read on this passage suggest that Paul’s friend is dead. The general context of the passage seems to be one of a funeral. Paul is praying for the family of the deceased, much like we do today. Paul is also praying that God will be merciful on his friend on Judgement Day. Question? Why is Paul praying for a dead person? What purpose would this serve? This Passage parallels 2 Samuel 1:12 below.

Matthew 5:25-26 – “… Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny” (made restitution for the harm our sins have caused). See 2 Samuel 12:13-14 below

Luke 12:58-59 - “… I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the very last penny”.
Note, for the above two verses See the parallel case in Matthew 18:34 (18:22-34).

In the above verses of Matthew and Luke, Our Lord is using the idea of a debtor’s prison (something the people were very familiar with), to teach then about another type of prison – a spiritual prison – Purgatory!

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 - “…the person will be saved, but only as through fire.” Also see Hebrews 12:5-3, and Hebrews 12:5-23. “… and the spirits of the just made perfect”.

Matthew 12:32 – “And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come”. There are two parts (meanings) to this passage. The term “speaks against the Holy Spirit” (also known as the sin against the Holy Spirit) refers to the unforgivable sin of final impenitence – refusing to repent. Without repentance, a person’s sins can never be forgiven.

Now the second part - “neither in this world, nor in the world to come”, indicates that some sins can be forgiven after death. These are minor sins and imperfections, which are not serious enough to send us to hell, but must be atoned for before we can enter heaven. See Revelation 21:27 below. Also see 1 John 5:16-17, and Luke 12:47-48 for the distinction between serious (mortal) sins, and lesser (venial) sins. John refers to these as a sin unto death, and a sin not unto death.

Matthew 12:36 – “But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof on the Day of Judgment”. Also see supporting verses 1 John 5:16-17, and Luke 12:47-48.

Matthew 5:48Be ye perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Revelation 21:27 - (The heavenly Jerusalem) - And there shall not enter into it anything defiled (impure, unclean, etc. – in other words, no imperfections in heaven). See the next verse below.

Old Testament​

Habakkuk 1:13 – “Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate iniquity” – Parallels Revelation 21:27 above.

2 Samuel 1:11-12 - “David …and his men …and they mourned, and wept, and fasted until evening for Saul, and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of the Lord … because they had fallen by the sword”. Fasting is a form of prayer and penance – in this case, for the dead. This passage parallels (correlates with) 2 Timothy 1:16-18, above where Paul is praying for his dead friend Onesiphorus.

2 Samuel 12:13-14 And David said to Nathan: “I have sinned against the Lord”. And Nathan said to David: “The Lord also hath taken away thy sin: thou shall not die.14 Nevertheless, because thou hast given occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, for this thing, the child that is born to thee, shall surely die”. Note! This verse shows that, even though our sins are forgiven, we must still make up for the harm those sins have caused, either temporal or spiritual.

2 Maccabees 12:43-45 - 43 …46 “it is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from their sins”. This verse from Maccabees is the most direct scripture reference to Purgatory (which is why Martin Luther removed it. See Revelation 22:18-19).

Been seeing a lot of purgatory threads recently....

Upvote 0

rrguy

Jul 12, 2007
✟19,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
zeland2236 Thanks.

I found its always good to see if scripture supports an idea or belief, mentions it, or goes against it.

Do you think this one has relevance?

Colossians 3:25
For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The dogma of purgatory is the denail of the sufficency of the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ..

For a Christian who believes in the Atonement of Jesus they do not need any purging because Jesus paid the price for their sins .. But for people who do not believe that Jesus paid the price for their sins they need a dogma of purgatory in their religion as a place they can go to and get their sins purged..

I shall believe and trust in Jesus myself :D I am assured He dealt with all my sins on the cross and i will be raised from the dead like Jesus to everlasting like with Him ... :)

Upvote 0

zeland2236

Jan 18, 2011
✟15,475.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
zeland2236 Thanks.

I found its always good to see if scripture supports an idea or belief, mentions it, or goes against it.

Do you think this one has relevance?

Colossians 3:25
For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality.

Dear rrguy,

Interesting question. I don't think that it could be used to prove the existence of Purgatory, but it would apply to those in Purgatory.

Thanks

zeland

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, not a single one of the verses cited in the OP proves the existence of Purgatory.

They may be said to prove something that the theory of Purgatory incorporates...but as for proving Purgatory itself, they clearly do not.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Revelations speaks of a new heaven and a new earth, and that the vast majority of us are not going to be in heaven after the resurrection, but will be on the new earth. Thus there is no requirement for this "purgatory" of which you speak.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zeland2236

Jan 18, 2011
✟15,475.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
FWIW = For what its worth.
Dear FWIW,

What type of answer is "For what its worth". You failed to answer my question.

If the scripture passages I quoted do not refer to Purgatory, then what do they mean; what do they refer to? Please give an explanation of each passage.

zeland

Upvote 0

zeland2236

Jan 18, 2011
✟15,475.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Revelations speaks of a new heaven and a new earth, and that the vast majority of us are not going to be in heaven after the resurrection, but will be on the new earth. Thus there is no requirement for this "purgatory" of which you speak.

Your statement is not exactly correct. It is true that Purgatory will not exist when the "new heaven and earth" arrive, but will exist prior to that. Purgatory is a temporary state, and will cease to exist at the end of time (on the Day on Judgment).

Very few of us leave this life in a perfect state of justification. Scripture says into heaven nothing imperfect shall enter. So how then does the imperfect soul that leaves this life, get purified before it can enter heaven?

zeland

• Agree
Reactions: Erose
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your statement is not exactly correct. It is true that Purgatory will not exist when the "new heaven and earth" arrive, but will exist prior to that. Purgatory is a temporary state, and will cease to exist at the end of time (on the Day on Judgment).
Yes, that is the theory.

Very few of us leave this life in a perfect state of justification. Scripture says into heaven nothing imperfect shall enter. So how then does the imperfect soul that leaves this life, get purified before it can enter heaven?
We normally call that "forgiveness."

That was the point of Christ's sacrifice. The meaning. What was accomplished for us. You know.

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You have yet to demonstrate this 'fact'. You've quoted a bunch of scriptures which Catholics claim support this so called purgatory, however I don't recall any Church Fathers supporting such an idea.
We refer to those few as Saints (with capital 'S')
They have purified themselves (with God's grace) through violent struggle against the old man of sin.
And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.​

• Agree
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You still did not answer my questions - If those verses do not refer to Purgatory, then what do they mean?

zeland

You have provided a list of scripture references that you say prove the existence of Purgatory (which many denominations do nor believe in) then when some one responds to you saying they believe those references do not prove the existence of Purgatory. You insist others explain to you what your list of random pieces of scripture mean. I would suggest you get yourself a really good Bible commentary and really good study Bible that are suggested by the Roman Catholic church and look at what they tell you about those verses. For example:

Sacra Pagina - the different books are available from the Pauline bookshop, and
Catholic Study Bible - also available from the Pauline bookshop.

I am not going to spend too much time on this but I looked up Matt. 5:25-26 in both and neither refer to being kept in a place where you need to pay for your sins. From the Catholic Study Bible on Matt. 5:25-26:

5, 22–26: Reconciliation with an offended brother is urged in the admonition of vv 23–24 and the parable of vv 25–26 (// Lk 12, 58–59). The severity of the judge in the parable is a warning of the fate of unrepentant sinners in the coming judgment by God.

So if sinner repents of their sins then they are saved...

from Sacra Pagina...

23. if you are offering your gift: The two examples (5:23–24, 25–26) following the first antithesis are only loosely related by their theme of reconciliation. The first example [Matt, p. 87] presupposes the existence of the Jerusalem Temple. There is criticism of one’s attitude during the Temple worship, not of the Temple itself. The destruction of the Temple in A.D. 70 would not have rendered the warning meaningless. The Mishnah (compiled around A.D. 200) speaks as if the Temple were still functioning.

26. the last cent: The Greek word kodrantēs is a loan-word from the Latin quadrans, which was the smallest coin of the Roman currency. The final line implies that the case involved unpaid debts. But imprisonment for unpaid debts was not customary among Jews, and so the example seems to presuppose Roman law. The second example carries on the theme of willingness to be reconciled that was raised in the first example.

again the commentary is alluding to the willingness to be reconciled with God. again it does not say anything about a concept of a place where you go when you die and you have to pay for your sins. If you are repentant Christ has already done that for you.

As I said spend some time in scripture with good quality Bible study tools and don't believe everything you find doing a google search. Always read scripture within the context of:

passage in which it appears,
the section in which it appears,
the book of the Bible in which it appears,
the genre of the book in which it appears, and
the Bible as a whole...

blessings, Gordon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Truth Lover

Aug 21, 2016
St Louis, MO
✟22,173.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I would include Luke 16:22-23 where the begger goes to the bosom of Abraham, while the rich man goes to Hades. Abraham's bosom cannot be heaven, because no souls went to heaven before Christ died. Hades is the place of the dead not hell, because the rich man shows some repentance and talks to Abraham. That can't happen in hell. Jesus himself told this parable so it has to be right.

This passage says there will be reward or punishment in the afterlife based on the quality of one's deeds. This is also a good passage in support of conditional salvation (note the word 'will') and not saved by faith alone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would include Luke 16:22-23 where the begger goes to the bosom of Abraham, while the rich man goes to Hades. Abraham's bosom cannot be heaven, because no souls went to heaven before Christ died. Hades is the place of the dead not hell, because the rich man shows some repentance and talks to Abraham. That can't happen in hell. Jesus himself told this parable so it has to be right.
Yes, but Abraham's Bosom isn't a place of punishment or torment, nor does the church that gave us Purgatory think that the two are the same place.

This passage says there will be reward or punishment in the afterlife based on the quality of one's deeds. This is also a good passage in support of conditional salvation (note the word 'will') and not saved by faith alone.

But again, Purgatory isn't a place of conditional salvation or a place where there will be either reward or punishment. What's more, "but only as through fire" doesn't mean "fire." It's clearly an analogy which could mean several different things about the process by which one passes from this life to the next.

A few things to think about, regardless of whether one is inclined to believe there is something like a Purgatory in the afterlife or not.

• Winner
Upvote 0