Screenplay Format

FireRock

Call me a dreamer of the seemingly unattainable...
Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly, I've never had professionals read any of my scripts, so I'm not sure what the correct format is off the top of my head. I know that the dialogue is suppose to be centered and things like that, but as for margin space and number of spaces between things, I have no clue.

I might go to a bookstore and look at a published script (popular movies are doing that know, publishing their scripts - Napoleon Dynamite is one that comes to mind) and look at the format they use.

I know there's books and sites out there to give you the specifics, but I'm not all that great at the technical stuff yet.

Hope that was in some small way helpful...at all. :)

Upvote 0

Doubtless

my life is entr'acte...
Feb 21, 2007
Ask me again in twenty minutes.
✟8,066.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Use "Courier" ("Courier New" will do) font, and size 12. Write it like this:

[Below is the title. Only on first page.]
"THE DOWNSIDE OF PARKING CROOKED"​

FADE IN:

INT. HARRY'S GARAGE [Before each scene.]

Harry stands, bent over the engine of his camaro, with the hood up. He grabs a wrench, and bangs it against the engine. Bob stands behind him.

BOB​
[here, TAB three times from the left, and write dialogue, with each line three TABs from the left margin.]

~Doubtless​

Upvote 0

Lindon Tinuviel

Nov 19, 2002
Not there anymore
✟4,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Use nothing but some version of Courier, 12 point font.

For ACTION: Left = 1.5" Right = 7.25"

For SLUGLINES: Left = 1.5" Right = 7.25"

For CUES: Left = 4.0" Right = 6.5"

For DIALOGUE: Left = 2.5" Right = 6.25" - 6.50"

For WRYLIES: Left = 3.5" Right = 6.0"

For TRANSITIONS: Left = 5.0" Right = 7.25"

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Assume I'm using Microsoft Word.

What margins should I use for my script? Include description lines (INT. Blah Blah -- Daytime), dialogue headers (HARRY), dialogue, and action descriptions.

Your attention is appreciated.
I used to have a set of macros for MS Word. I don't think I have them anymore, though.

You could buy Final Draft. You don't have to worry about format anymore. But it's too expensive, so go here:
http://www.celtx.com/download.html

That one's free. It's just like Final Draft, but with a lot more useless features :D. It saves time not having to worry about margins and whether it's right or not.

Upvote 0

AMOG

Jul 29, 2007
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Second the recommendation for Celtx. I like it a lot better then Final Draft. A. Because it's free. B. Because there is a linux version I can use on the road. and C. Because it's collaboration features actually work (But they aren't free you have to use their "studio" IE cloud storage.)

Upvote 0