Screening Of 'Gone With the Wind' Cancelled After Complaints Classic Film Is 'Insensitive'

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember skipping school to watch it. It is 4 hours long. I've watched it twice since then. It presents a view of American history. What else do we need to erase? Hello?

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Orpheum theater is a privately held business and they have the right to choose the movies they screen. Businesses do not want negative attention. Their only value is profit and they go along with the culture, or an element of the culture that makes a lot of noise.

GWTW is an anachronism now. It is indifferent to the sufferings of slaves in the antebellum South. And there's the marital rape. This movie wouldn't be made now.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I remember skipping school to watch it. It is 4 hours long. I've watched it twice since then. It presents a view of American history. What else do we need to erase? Hello?
Anything that offends anyone. i.e. basically everything. :rolleyes:

Ah America, Land of the Offended...

GWTW is an anachronism now.
? Curious use of the term. It's a historical piece.

It is indifferent to the sufferings of slaves in the antebellum South.
Shocking and incomprehensible as this may be for you and I shudder to think how many others, not all movies from that timeframe necessarily have to be all about or bludgeon the audience with how slavery was bad.

This movie wouldn't be made now.
Sad but true. It's nowhere near politically correct enough, and that beast rules our society with an iron fist now.

No, instead let's have movies like "Lincoln," where the blacks are all well spoken and educated (etc). Accurate? Hardly. But no one cares about the truth anymore; again, it's all about being PC.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
No, instead let's have movies like "Lincoln," where the blacks are all well spoken and educated

You know, it's been a while since I saw Lincoln, but I don't recall many black roles in that movie. Not many with speaking lines, and not enough to get a good idea of their education level. To whom are you referring to?

Anyway, if that's not politically incorrect enough for you, I suggest Django Unchained.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

What exactly is being erased? Film's still available on Amazon (not sure about Netflix)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

It's a fictional work, not serious history.

They should replace it with my favorite western: The Outlaw Josey Wales.

That's better history than Gone with the Wind.

No, instead let's have movies like "Lincoln," where the blacks are all well spoken and educated (etc). Accurate? Hardly. But no one cares about the truth anymore; again, it's all about being PC.

Actually the film has been criticized for just the opposite: Opinion | In Spielberg’s ‘Lincoln,’ Passive Black Characters . Again, mainstream movies are usually entertainment, and not serious history.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never seen it. I hear tell there's a swear in it.
Yep, in the closing scene: "Frankly Charlotte, I don't give a __________."

WELL ....... no one caught my error ....... The actress was known as Scarlett, not Charlotte.

(I'm politically incorrect ... I used "actress" instead of "actor." Dummy me....)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Never seen it. I hear tell there's a swear in it.
A couple swears actually.

Sad really.. Bette Davis almost starred in it.. what coulda been.. lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What exactly is being erased? Film's still available on Amazon (not sure about Netflix)

Don't tell people that! When word of it gets out, Amazon will be bombarded with hate mail from Antifa, BLM and other leftist groups that it needs to be taken down for the same reason as all the statues and school names they don't like. You don't want Amazon to be seen as "promoting racism and hate", do you?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Don't tell people that! When word of it gets out, Amazon will be bombarded with hate mail from Antifa, BLM and other leftist groups that it needs to be taken down for the same reason as all the statues and school names they don't like. You don't want Amazon to be seen as "promoting racism and hate", do you?

What do I care? I don't own any Amazon stock.

You?

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Reading up on this, a lot of things has been wildly blown out of proportion.

They've been considering doing this for years now. The current climate was just the final push.

It's not been released what the comments were that pushed them, or how many people complained.

They take out films all the time for a variety of reasons.

The movie's not 'banned'. They just said they wouldn't be showing it next year.

It's one theatre. The movie isn't being erased or banned or anything so serious.

I bet most of the people complaining about their decision haven't even seen the movie.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith