Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Let's talk about L. Ron Hubbard's... well, what is it? A religion? A cult? A money-making scam? All of the above?
Is there anybody here with some first-hand experience of Scientology, or is your knowledge as detached and academic as mine?

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Let's talk about L. Ron Hubbard's... well, what is it? A religion? A cult? A money-making scam? All of the above?
Is there anybody here with some first-hand experience of Scientology, or is your knowledge as detached and academic as mine?
All of the above, as it basically states that we are all gods, who forgot what we really are, and once go thru and give them BIG money for their courses... Will become gods again, and control your own reality!
They state that Jesus Himself was not a crucified messiah, just an erroneous message someone in the past latched upon, as to them the real Jesus was homosexual with his apostles, and was a gross sinner, not the Son of God!

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
All of the above, as it basically states that we are all gods, who forgot what we really are, and once go thru and give them BIG money for their courses... Will become gods again, and control your own reality!
They state that Jesus Himself was not a crucified messiah, just an erroneous message someone in the past latched upon, as to them the real Jesus was homosexual with his apostles, and was a gross sinner, not the Son of God!

I spy with my little eye something beginning with T,

and ending with p.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Early in the film "The Fifth Element," the character Korben Dallas has a big stenciled word in his apartment: KEEP CLEAR. He looked at it and said, "I'm trying." It's a Scientology thing, and an indicator of how far the cult reaches.

• Winner
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
L. Ron Hubbard was a third-rate science fiction writer. I know. I read one of his novels. It was awful. He founded Scientology on a bet, and won.
He was asked by a newspaper literary critic if he had gotten rich writing SF stories in pulp magazines. (Early 1950s?). He replied no, if one wanted to be rich he had to start his own religion.
And so he did.
And died incredibly wealthy.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cult. No other word for it.
Indeed. It fits both definitions: lots of hidden beliefs and practices; and has a charismatic icon of a founder that everyone venerates.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tom Cruise is a follower! Thats all i know about it.
The list of Hollywood primaries who are in that cult is staggering in its enormity.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Anyone who is not a disciple of Jesus Christ is bound for a lost and hopeless eternity.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The list of Hollywood primaries who are in that cult is staggering in its enormity.

People have a habit of gravitating to like-minded groups. Given their wealth and celebrity it's understandable why they congregate in this way. While I don't support the teachings I can certainly grasp how other settings would be less comfortable.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now we have a few clues,

How does one know if approached?

They usually target wealthy people who are well connected. They're great conduits for growing the membership. Star power is important. It provides a stamp of approval for other celebrities.

Much like exclusive memberships in private clubs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a new type of Gnosticism for rich Hollywood elitists. As a "Church" they don't really want anyone who is poor or has no money. The cult aspect comes from their extorting people who buy into it in order to achieve higher levels.

How do you know they're elitists? It's been proven time and again from those who've become wealthy through earnings or sudden means that their financial positions can be problematic for those with less assets.

Read Sudden Wealth by Robert Pagliarini.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

Detached and academic. Though I do see some people unironically arguing for it in Discord. I find it fascinating and discovered it back in 2007 when Anonymous first made their name and I was still a youth living on IRC servers and anonymous image boards. That was back when I discovered what a cult could really entail.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Detached and academic. Though I do see some people unironically arguing for it in Discord. I find it fascinating and discovered it back in 2007 when Anonymous first made their name and I was still a youth living on IRC servers and anonymous image boards. That was back when I discovered what a cult could really entail.

Oy an iRC user! Good times back then. :)

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Many people who want to warn against Scientology try to do so by pointing to their mythology, buuuut... I don't think that is quite the right angle, since virtually all religions - including big, established world views that are regarded as "normal" because so many people consider them factual truth - become ridiculous if you take a detached look at their foundational stories.

Yeah, being made aware of Xemu, DC8-starships and volcano-thetans may help to keep *some* people from becoming drawn into the organisation (which is why they don't tell you about it until you are deeply indoctrinated), but sheer ridiculousness does not suffice.
(Otherwise, there would be no Mormons or Hare Krishnas around any longer, just to mention two examples that won't get me penalised around here.)

A more objective angle than the plausibility of their world view comes with their actual practices, particularly the Office of Special Affairs.
In case you aren't aware, Scientology basically has got its own secret service: a whole branch devoted to investigating, discrediting, and - if possible - destroying opponents, gaining political leverage, and furthering the organisation's goals by any means possible.
Their "Operation Snow White" was the greatest infiltration of the US government prior to the Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

You might wonder why they are still around, despite this public knowledge of their more sinister actions. The answer to that is that they are keenly aware of how the US system works: if you've got enough money, you are essentially above the law, and if you know the right people (which comes with having enough money), nothing is beyond you.
They essentially blackmailed their way to tax-exempt status as a religion in the 1980s, harassing IRS personnel until they gave them what they wanted.

And when Germany tried to fight back against this organisation on account of their anti-constitutional practices and values (which is basically the ONLY thing that can get you indexed around here), US officials were ready to exert pressure on Scientology's behalf, until all opposition was either eliminated or rendered ineffectual. They even managed to gain broad public support by painting themselves as "the next Jews" in widely publicised, expensive newspaper campaigns, raising the ire of the US public.
Some federal states around here tried to push back, but what happened then was usually this: the US consulate sponsored some clandestine dinner or charity event hosted by Scientology, inviting influential representatives such as the chief of police, mayors, etc. Afterwards, funding for anti-cult campaigns would be cut "for budget reasons".

Upvote 0