✟16,769.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
arunma said:
I've learned enough about scientology just from reading this thread. I don't think I want to know anymore...
I would suggest knowing, because it's always good to be informed. Know thine enemy, and all that.

Normally, I would just laugh at a thing like this. Nobody's being hurt or killed -- it's just a bunch of poor gullible saps having all their money drained from them. But this "religion" has ruined people's lives.

Edit: Okay, apparently people have been killed because of this. That makes it that much worse.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Lucubratus said:
I'm sure glad you got out of that. I also feel bad for Katie Holmes (whoever wrote that) I think that's one reason Nicole Kidman got the heck away from him.

this being would never fall for such tawdry self-hypnosis techniques :)

i have never been in their grasp... though, interestingly, one of their front companies is a company that competes with my company.

do you know *how* Tom got Nicole? it is a classic Co$ maneuver.

i'll see if i can find a copy of it somewhere... the Co$ is quite vigilent about prosecution with regards to beings like me speaking about them, especially if we have their "copyrighted" religous teachings.

an aside... does anyone else find it both sad and funny that they can "copyright" a religious teaching?

if nothing else, that should be the clue that this isn't anything but a get rich scheme for Lafayette Ron Hubbard.

:sigh:

Upvote 0

Orbital SD

Apr 21, 2005
✟149.00
Faith
truth_restorer said:
You don't? What is gnosticism really all about but moving up the ladder of so-called "higher truth"? It is elitist and so is Scientology.

No, I don't see any connection. There are no specific points in the scientologists' belief system that bear any significant resemblance to Gnostic doctrines. And what is Gnosticism about? It is about returning the human spirit into communion with the spiritual realm. As I see it, there really is nothing elitist in that. No one is banned from taking part, and no one is "better" in a social context for believing in it (if anything, the opposite is true, since we're labeled "heretics"). Indeed, some of the Orthodox heresiologists condemned Gnostics for being too tolerant and egalitarian from the Orthodox standpoint.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rebirth In Flames said:
"Those that reach the higher teachings (OT III) within the Church of Scientology will learn all about Xenu, the evil intergalactic ruler who implanted "thetans" or alien spirits, in earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago, after which they escaped and invaded human bodies. The ultimate belief of Scientology is that you are possessed by the spirits of aliens murdered 75 million years ago by "Xenu" and you have to exorcise these spirits."

What do you think about the Church of Scientology?

No crazier in doctrine than most religions. But certainly more exploitative than most.

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I find what happene to me yesterday morbidly funny. *ahem* I live in a townhouse so I was upstairs and didn't hear anybody knocking on my backdoor (it's a sliding glass door) and I just *happened* to be on this website, and I just *happened* to be reading/commenting about this topic. So later on I go downstairs and someone left a brochure and literature slid into between the glass and screen.
What do you know? It was some leaflets on this very topic.
LOL....

And I ripped it up of course and tossed it - but my eye caught one of their little headings about how nobody needs to see a Psychiatrist anymore, and then some of their main points were ripped off right out of standard textbook psychology books!

Used to have Mormon's coming around here. Now they have competition I guess.
Most of the people in my little complex are all Catholic. (only 100 units) This may be interesting...

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rebirth In Flames said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

One of the reasons I think this "religion" is absolutley crazy, is because of things like this, (found in the link above):

"Those that reach the higher teachings (OT III) within the Church of Scientology will learn all about Xenu, the evil intergalactic ruler who implanted "thetans" or alien spirits, in earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago, after which they escaped and invaded human bodies. The ultimate belief of Scientology is that you are possessed by the spirits of aliens murdered 75 million years ago by "Xenu" and you have to exorcise these spirits. The cost of reaching OT III approaches $360,000."

What do you think about the Church of Scientology?

I'm not sure Scientology was ever supposed to be a religion. But it is, and I guess if it is, it works on some level. Scientology has a thing that frees people from depression and does some interesting things with mental health and basically makes people a better person (I forgot the name of it. It actually has its own name) I guess it works, because it attracts a lot of people, so something must work.

Not for me, but yeah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LibertyChic

Finally Free To Be Me
Dec 23, 2003
Texas, Baby!
Visit site
✟31,827.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Illuminatus said:
I have a hard time taking seriously any religion founded by a science-fiction writer on a bet.

Here's a great link if you want to know more about it, but some of the stories about their operations are disturbing: www.xenu.net

Glad you pointed this out. I was gonna if no one had yet. ;)

Upvote 0

Ryal Kane

Senior Veteran
Apr 21, 2004
Hamilton
✟13,720.00
Faith
Atheist
I think Hubbard had a philosophy on human imrpovement. It gained a following and he gained worhippers. Eventually he started to believe his own pres and became wrapped in his own infallibility, creating a mythology. it became such a structured and tiered group that it developed means of maintaining itself through harsh measures.
The initial self improvement concept got buried in dogma, dellusion and desire for power.

As for celebs like Cruise, I don't theink they're in to deep. They have to much access to the world to manipulate in the way that Scientology does to a large number of it's members. But they make good poster people for Scientology.

And heck, even South Park doesn't make fun of Scientology. IF they did they'd lose Issac Hayes.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And heck, even South Park doesn't make fun of Scientology.
Well, they did have a Gladiator spoof in which the boys are pushed into a colisieum to fight Russell Crowe and his band of gladiators. A band of characters from Battlefield Earth kill Russell Crowe and his gladiators, and pass out Scientology personality tests to the boys. Cartman crumples up the personality test and says, under his breath, that it would come in handy as toilet paper. This short was presented at an award show or something.

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
thirstforknowledge said:
I'm not sure Scientology was ever supposed to be a religion. But it is, and I guess if it is, it works on some level. Scientology has a thing that frees people from depression and does some interesting things with mental health and basically makes people a better person (I forgot the name of it. It actually has its own name) I guess it works, because it attracts a lot of people, so something must work.

Not for me, but yeah.

Actually it wasn't considered a religion until somewhere down the line, the ringleaders turned it into a 'church' to avoid the kind of taxes an ordinary business pays. I read it online somewhere, along with some FBI investigations into tax evasion and the like that some of their higher-ups were accused of. I don't know too much how that goes about working - but essentially whatever Church's do to become non-profit or whatever, is what Scientology did;the rest is history. I read some of the stuff in Dianetics and it's just warped up psychology and the standard "you are in control of your own self" type of doctrines that other philohophies and religions have been around for centuries.

When it turned into this money making thing *to get deprogrammed* I have no clue. I know the book Dianetics was around in the 70's, my Mom decided to check out a convention and just walking into the place gave her the heebie-jeebies so she left.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
remember folks..

Dianetics was developed by Hubbard and several well respected MDs during their time. it was after the MDs realized what Hubbard was doing, essentially, embezelling the funds, that they walked away.

when that happend, Hubbard could no longer operate the clinic that he was using and, to make a long story short, Scientology was born from Dianetics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MightyHalo

Your Friendly Neighborhood Mighty Halo!
Jun 19, 2005
TEXAS USA
Visit site
✟18,104.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Illuminatus... thanks for the invite to this part of the forums (man, this place sure is HUGE!)... lol...

A couple of quick things...

- Its pretty cool having a religion that has its name copywritten!
- Its even cooler having a religion where there are evil aliens trapped in volcanos!
- Its the MOST SUPER COOLEST having a movie with John Travolota explaning your relgion to everyone else! Wow! hee hee...

Oh, here is this...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3tc.htm

Thanks,

- Mighty Halo

Upvote 0