• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scientific hoax: Piltdown man was a fake

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by speakout, Nov 20, 2007.

1. MasterOfKrikkit

MasterOfKrikkit Regular Member

+117
    Methodist
    Private
    Welcome to CF, lrg... but before you necromance any more threads, you might want to investigate Poe's Law.

Actually, this doesn't even count as Poe, since Poe's Law applies to a statement made without notification of sarcasm/parody; EnemyParty was quite clear: "[Fundie tapdancing, logic doesn't apply to me mode]"

:doh:

2. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus ELITE MEMBER SINCE MARCH 7 2006

+8,168
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    That always amazed me....how come the acid doesn't eat up the stomach......
    Good point :)

Neither is Tums or Rolaids.......

3. USincognito

USincognito The Spite Reporters Win Supporter

+5,795
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
  4. sfs

sfs Senior Member

+1,286
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Are there points for digging up a fossil thread about fossils?

5. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus ELITE MEMBER SINCE MARCH 7 2006

+8,168
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    When TheBear concurs, people listen! :)

Hosea 13:8
    I shall meet them as a bear bereaved of her whelps, and will rend enclosure of their heart;
    and I shall devour them there as a great-lion, animal of the field she shall rend them

Reve 13:2
    And the beast I saw was like a leopard, and the feet of it as of bear, and the mouth of it as mouth of lion.
    And gives to it, the dragon, the power of him and the throne of him and great authority.

The Bear challenge

A RC Priest, a Pentecostal Preacher and a Rabbi...
    ...all served as chaplains to the students of Northern Michigan University in Marquette. They would get together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop.
    One day, someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear.

One thing led to another, and they decided to do a seven-day experiment. They would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it, and attempt to convert it. Seven days later, they're all together to discuss the experience.

Father Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches, and has various bandages, goes first.
    "Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. And when I found him I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him and, Holy Mary Mother of God, he became as gentle as a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation."

Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an arm and both legs in casts, and an IV drip.
    In his best fire and brimstone oratory he proclaimed, "Well, brothers, you know that we don't sprinkle...we dunk! I went out and I found me a bear. And then I began to read to him from God's holy word! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took hold of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestle down one hill, up another and down another until we came to a crick. So I quickly dunked him and baptized his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of the week in fellowship, feasting on God's holy word, and praising Jesus."

They both looked down at the rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed. He was in a body cast and traction with IV's and monitors running in and out of him. He was in bad shape.

The rabbi looks up and says, "Oi, you fellows don't know what trouble is until you try to circumcise one of those hairy buggers"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Delphiki

Delphiki Well-Known Member

+128
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Of course, the OP may no longer be around, but it should be worth pointing out that it was scientists who exposed the Piltdown hoax, not creationists.

7. RickG

RickG Senior Veteran Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,376
    Presbyterian
    Married
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+1,071
    Seeker
    Have creationists ever actually exposed anything? Any cases of legitimate hoaxes? Ever?

9. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+3,241
    Atheist
    Single
    Only if the girls or something else in the commercials is what you find exciting.

There are a million times as many commercials.

10. PsychoSarah

PsychoSarah Chaotic Neutral

+1,012
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    Maybe hoaxes made by one of their own

11. Skaloop

Skaloop Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion

+819
    Atheist
    Married
    CA-NDP
    Yeah, sort of the whole "We've got this sample that we all know is a few years old. We're going to send it to get dated scientifically, but not tell them that we know it's just a few years old, instead tell them that it's actually believed to be several thousand years old, so the 'scientists' will use one of their usual dating methods that only work on things several thousands years old. Then, when they get the wrong number, we'll tell them that it is actually only a few years old, and that their dating methods are stupid and wrong!"

12. AirPo

AirPo with a Touch of Grey

+4,484
    Atheist
    Married
    How about a hoax (necroing) about a hoax thread?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,408
    Agnostic
    Or better yet, they order a handful of feathers from Amazon to test the claimed average weight of feathers. Upon receipt, they throw the entire package, box and all, on the scales and show that it is much heavier than the reported scientific weight for feathers. They then declare that all scientists must be lying, and that all scales across the world are unreliable.

14. PsychoSarah

PsychoSarah Chaotic Neutral

+1,012
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    Have people seriously pulled that crap?