Scientific Fraud?

So what kind of comments can we stir up over this?

"Most people have seen those&nbsp;pictures of developing human embryos next to developing animal embryos, and they look virtually indistinguishable. <I>(The Haeckel embryo sequence shown purported to show – left to right – a hog, calf, rabbit and human).</I> This has long been said to demonstrate that humans share a common ancestry with these animals and thus prove the theory of evolution. These pictures were designed by German zoologist Ernst Haeckel. What few people know – and one of many surprises in the evolution debate reported in the July edition of Whistleblower magazine (formerly WorldNet) – is that they were fakes. At Jena, the university where he taught, Haeckel was charged with fraud by five professors and convicted by a university court. His deceit was exposed in "Haeckel’s Frauds and Forgeries," a 1915 book by J. Assmuth and Ernest R. Hull, who quoted 19 leading authorities of the day.

<TABLE align=right>

<TBODY>

<TR>

<TD width=211>&nbsp;
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"It clearly appears that Haeckel in many cases freely invented embryos, or reproduced the illustrations given by others in a substantially changed form," said anatomist F. Keibel of Freiburg University. Zoologist L. Rütimeyer of Basle University called his distorted drawings "a sin against scientific truthfulness." Yet, despite Haeckel’s fraud conviction and early exposure, Western educators continued using the pictures for decades as proof of the theory of evolution. The matter was settled with finality by Dr. Michael Richardson, an embryologist at St. George’s Medical School in London. He found there was no record that anyone ever actually checked Haeckel’s claims by systematically comparing human and other fetuses during development. So Richardson assembled a scientific team that did just that – photographing the growing embryos of 39 different species. In a 1997 interview in The Times of London, Dr. Richardson stated: "This is one of the worst cases of scientific fraud. It’s shocking to find that somebody one thought was a great scientist was deliberately misleading. It makes me angry. ... What he [Haeckel] did was to take a human embryo and copy it, pretending that the salamander and the pig and all the others looked the same at the same stage of development. They don’t. ... These are fakes." Today – believe it or not – Haeckel’s drawings <I>still</I> appear in many high school and college textbooks. Among them are "Evolutionary Biology" by Douglas J. Futuyma (Third Edition, Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates, 1998), and also the bedrock text, "Molecular Biology of the Cell" (third edition), whose authors include biochemist Dr. Bruce Alberts, president of the National Academy of Sciences. "

Comments? Why is this still in high school and college textbooks?

Doc

Upvote 0
Originally posted by DocBrown

Don't that make you wonder? I'm fishing for someone who can help with this claim or debunk it.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

It is common knowledge that Haekel did lie. If Haekel´s&nbsp;lies&nbsp;are repeated in textbooks it´s not the fault of the scientific community in general but of the publishing companies and those scientists that helped spread the lies.

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/biography/Haekel.html

Upvote 0
Originally posted by DocBrown
Again because it's posted all over the internet. Just do a search for "evolution fraud" you'll see it posted a million times (est).

Like this:

http://http://www.restoringamerica.org/archive/evolution/evolution_fraud.html

Don't that make you wonder? I'm fishing for someone who can help with this claim or debunk it.

Doc

Posted 'all over the net?'&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not sure that this helps very much, but as your own reference indicates, the only place that Haeckel's drawings are published to any extent is on creationist websites.&nbsp; I have not heard a single evolutionist make this argument in decades.&nbsp;&nbsp;This&nbsp;issue has been resolved.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
The reason creationists harp on Ernst Haeckel is because creationists are still busily debunking Haeckel's misguided notion of the relationship between ontogeny and phylogeny. Someone needs to tell the creationists that what they are busily debunking in the 21st century was already debunked in the 19th.

Today we have scanning electron microscopes and are capable of directly observing the comparative embryological development among vertebrates, which, by the way, is compelling evidence for common ancestry.

Does anyone in their right mind believe that biologists need to present as evidence handmade woodcuts from the mid-19th century? One of the things that makes me laugh about creationists is the high degree of ignorance they must assume among their disciples.

If Haeckel's embryos have been reproduced in biology texts over the last 75 years or so, they are presented in a discussion of the history of evolutionary biology, and to show that Haeckel's idea of recapitulation was wrong, and often to show how not to do science.

That Ernst Haeckel's name is plastered all over the creationist internet sites is strong evidence of the complete and utter lack of ammunition they have at their disposal with which to attack evolutionary biology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by D. Scarlatti
The reason creationists harp on Ernst Haeckel is because creationists are still busily debunking Haeckel's misguided notion of the relationship between ontogeny and phylogeny. Someone needs to tell the creationists that what they are busily debunking in the 21st century was already debunked in the 19th.

Today we have scanning electron microscopes and are capable of directly observing the comparative embryological development among vertebrates, which, by the way, is compelling evidence for common ancestry.

Does anyone in their right mind believe that biologists need to present as evidence handmade woodcuts from the mid-19th century? One of the things that makes me laugh about creationists is the high degree of ignorance they must assume among their disciples.

If Haeckel's embryos have been reproduced in biology texts over the last 75 years or so, they are presented in a discussion of the history of evolutionary biology, and to show that Haeckel's idea of recapitulation was wrong, and often to show how not to do science.

That Ernst Haeckel's name is plastered all over the creationist internet sites is strong evidence of the complete and utter lack of ammunition they have at their disposal with which to attack evolutionary biology.

Well yea, but the main question still stands. Are&nbsp;high school and college textbooks representing these drawings as evidence for evolution still? And if so then wouldn't that make one wonder how outdated the books are on this subject?&nbsp; If so that makes a fairly strong case for the creationists side&nbsp;by them saying that 100 year old data that has been proven wrong (100 years ago)&nbsp;is still written there for the young people to read. Nobody has come out yet and said if they had seen it in a recent textbook. Anyone still in school care to contribute here? If it's not there then I'll drop the issue.

Doc

Doc

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
If your school system is using outdated textbooks, it is the fault of the educators (teachers and administrators) in that system. Not the scientific community.

It is the responsibility of the local school systems to choose and use accurate and well-designed texts. You have a vote and a voice on the matter of textbooks since you are a taxpayer. If you find out that your local school system is using outdated and false information in the classroom, and you do nothing, then that responsibility falls partly on you.

--tibac

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
The textbook that I used in Biology here at UGA (Biology, 4th edition, Campbell) does not have any drawings of embryos saying that they are evidence of evolution.

It states that the "theory of recapitulation is an overstatement. . . . Although vertebrates share many features of embryonic development, it is not as though a mammal first goes through a 'fish stage', then and 'amphibian stage', and so on. . . . Nevertheless, ontogeny does provide clues to phylogeny. In particular, comparative embryology can often establish homology among structures, such as gill pouches, that become so altered in later development that their common origin would not be apparent by comparing their fully developed forms." (p. 412)

Homology is good evidence that animals have a common ancestor.

--tibac

Upvote 0
Originally posted by choccy
Can you show me one single pro-evolution site onthe net that uses Haeckels drawings as evidence (not proof) of evolution?

Choccy

"This whole issue of Haeckel's drawings in the texts (some as
&nbsp;recent as 1998)"

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/feb99.html

I think this is a pro-evolution site. Well maybe anyway.

Doc

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
DocBrown: Nobody has come out yet and said if they had seen it in a recent textbook.

Well they certainly aren't used as "evidence" for evolution in Futuyma's 3rd edition, as your OP suggested. I have another textbook here, college level, and Haeckel isn't even mentioned in the historical introduction, let alone in the proceeding discussion.

But I haven't seen every biology textbook currently in use. If you find a current biology textbook that presents Haeckel's outmoded ideas and misleading woodcuts as "evidence" of biological evolution, I will certainly join you and Jonathans Wells and Sarfati in a campaign of strenuous letter writing to the publisher.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

choccy

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
✟361.00
Faith
Atheist
"This whole issue of Haeckel's drawings in the texts (some as recent as 1998)"

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/feb99.html

I think this is a pro-evolution site. Well maybe anyway. Doc

From the conclusion of the post you linked to:
So I agree that Haeckel's drawings are dated, inaccurate, and inappropriate for use in textbooks, because they help perpetuate a bad idea. Recapitulation (aka the biogenetic law) should probably be put to rest, no matter how elaborately phrased or modified. Conservation of developmental stage, period, or process, on the other hand, is a topic that is open for debate.

My original question was if you could point me to just one pro-evolution site on the net that uses Haeckels drawings as evidence for evolution. Clearly the article yo ulinked to does not. Sadly it seems that you might have a case when it comes to inappropriate usage of Haeckel's drawings in certain biology textbooks though, what do others think?

Choccy

Upvote 0

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is just one of the frauds still in school text books.

Many others are the

Geologic Columns
Radioactive Decay Tables
Nebreska Man
Missing Link(Lucy)
Big Bang theory(it is a BIG DUD)
Perodic Table(the elements are all true but the table is bunk)
Many things about chemistry(when it has to do with ages and such)
And more.............

Evolution is all a lie created by satan to turn us wawy from the bible and get lost(go straight to hell)!

Parise the Lord!

-Hector

Upvote 0