US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Visionary responded to one of my posts in another thread, and we didn't want to stray off topic. I decided that now was a good time to open up this topic for discussion.

===================================================
Let's start with a couple of axioms.

1.) Matter and energy are finite. If not, we would live inside of an infinitely dense, infinitely hot, soiid mass, of infinite expanse. We don't. No really, I once had a supposedly educated scientist try to make the laughable argument that universe was pure infinite energy. His argument went down in flames.
2.) Space is infinite. Seriously, I've had people try to dispute this axiom. I've asked them to tell me where to find this magic wall that sets the boundary for the edge of empty space, and to describe what is on the other side of that wall.

Now for the science:

The second law of thermodynamics can be precisely stated in the following two forms, as originally formulated in the 19th century by the Scottish physicist William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) and the German physicist Rudolf Clausius, respectively:

A cyclic transformation whose only final result is to transform heat extracted from a source which is at the same temperature throughout into work is impossible.

A cyclic transformation whose only final result is to transfer heat from a body at a given temperature to a body at a higher temperature is impossible.

Source: thermodynamics | Laws, Definition, & Equations - Isothermal and adiabatic processes

In other words, heat is transferred from an area of greater concentration, to an area of lesser concentration.
With the radiation of a finite amount of heat, over infinite space, over infinite time, the universe would infinitely approach a temperature of absolute zero. There are inefficiencies in converting energy from one form to another. Any energy which isn't converted to work, is dissipated as heat. No work; no motion.

A temperature scale whose zero point is absolute zero, the temperature of 0 entropy at which all molecular motion stops, -273.15° C. The size of a degree Kelvin is the same as the size of a degree Celsius.

Kelvin -- from Eric Weisstein's World of Physics

In other words, no energy; no work. No work, no motion. No motion; no molecules.

The tangible universe as we perceive it could not, nor cannot, have existed, nor continue to exist, eternally.

Some would argue that the Singularity preexisted the current universe eternally, before the Big Bang.

Nonsense! The same laws would apply to the Singularity; and what would cause the Singularity to go "bang" In the relatively recent past? Eternity is a very long time. If the Singularity was going to go "bang:" it would have done so an eternity ago; and the universe would have already infinitely approached absolute zero.

, "Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end" (Psalm 102:25–27).

Discuss...

Last edited:

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So you are advocating for

Heat death of the universe - Wikipedia

One of the possible ends for cosmos. How does this prove creation ?

Because the universe must reach a state of unrecoverable heat, infinitely, harmonically, approaching absolute zero; (I've read one estimate at one hundred trillion years) then obviously there are limits to it's existence in a state where life could even exist to recognize that it ever existed in any form.

If there are limits to its' duration; then over infinite time, it must have been created, or it couldn't exist in the present. It would have been reduced to unrecoverable heat, infinitely dispersed, an infinite amount of time ago.

Simply put, over infinite time, if it can't endure eternally; then it couldn't have endured past eternity to present.

Upvote 0

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simply put, over infinite time, if it can't endure eternally; then it couldn't have endured past eternity to present.

It hasn’t endured eternally. Current estimate is around 14 billion years.

Why would you think it has been around forever?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It hasn’t endured eternally. Current estimate is around 14 billion years.

Why would you think it has been around forever?

I don't believe that it has existed forever. I believe that it was created. I thought that I had established that postulate, in the creation of this thread.

Many do believe that it has existed eternally, in the sense that they believe that the Singularity existed eternally. As we might suppose that the sum of the components of the current Universe, approximate the content of the Singularity; this might be sound logic, in absence of the logic, and facts, which were presented in the original post of this thread.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Both God and science believe in the edge of space. Edge of Space Found

"With data from a new instrument developed by scientists at the University of Calgary, scientists confirmed that space begins 73 miles (118 kilometers) above Earth's surface."

Edge of Space Found

Small world. :)

Space (physics)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Space, in everyday language, is something that we all know. It is measured in the three dimensions of distance: length, width, and height.

In modern physics, space is a "boundless four-dimensional continuum" known as spacetime. Disagreement exist about whether it is an entity (something that actually exists). It may be just a relationship between entities, or part of a conceptual framework.

Space (physics) - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think of it this way: (Photons preexisted the Sun; but just follow me for the sake of explaining the point.)

If light radiates from the sun, how far does it travel, past earth, past our solar system, past our galaxy, past all of the other galaxies in the universe, into the frontier of empty space; does it keep traveling; or does it strike a barrier, and get reflected back? Empty space, in simple terms, is the absence of anything occupying it. In order to define space, something tangible must either occupy it, or contain it. Space is not tangible. Look at it this way: How can you measure the distance between two points; if the points don't exist?

Q: If you have two objects, and you measure the distance between them, based on the relationship between the relative size of the two objects,; what is the distance to a third point, if the third point doesn't exist?

A: Keep measuring. Any scale will do. Even though it won't matter in the end; I would choose the largest scale possible

If you somehow do find that third point anyway; there is still more space on the other side of it. Keep measuring.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Space is infinite. Seriously, I've had people try to dispute this axiom. I've asked them to tell me where to find this magic wall that sets the boundary for the edge of empty space, and to describe what is on the other side of that wall.
Finite, but unbound.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Think of the surface of a sphere. In a 2d plane the surface is finite but without boundary.
y
Signification of "finite but unbounded universe"?

A plane of any sphere is a circle; no matter which way you slice it. Circles have boundaries. One can't define a circle without boundaries.

Again, by definition all that is finite must have bounds.

finite

[fahy-nahyt]

adjective
having bounds or limits; not infinite; measurable.
Mathematics.
  1. (of a set of elements) capable of being completely counted.
  2. not infinite or infinitesimal.
  3. not zero.
3. subject to limitations or conditions, as of space, time, circumstances, or the laws of nature:

the definition of finite

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
A plane of any sphere is a circle; no matter which way you slice it. Circles have boundaries. One can't define a circle without boundaries.

Again, by definition all that is finite must have bounds.

finite

[fahy-nahyt]

adjective
having bounds or limits; not infinite; measurable.
Mathematics.
  1. (of a set of elements) capable of being completely counted.
  2. not infinite or infinitesimal.
  3. not zero.
3. subject to limitations or conditions, as of space, time, circumstances, or the laws of nature:

the definition of finite
What?

If you don’t know what I mean I going to go ahead and not keep talking to you.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

It's called English.

If you don’t know what I mean I going to go ahead and not keep talking to you.

Feel free to come back after you've learned English. After you learn to express yourself better; it might not seem like you're contradicting yourself.

Shalom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's called English.

Feel free to come back after you've learned English. After you learn to express yourself better; it might not seem like you're contradicting yourself.

Shalom
That's the spirit! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's the spirit! :oldthumbsup:

I'll explain it as many times as it takes, from as many angles as I can come up with, to the best of my ability, to anyone who sincerely wants to understand; so long as the dialog is open. I won't close the dialog on anyone who sincerely wants to understand.

Shabbat shalom, CherubRam

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Spheres don't exist on planes.

I wouldn't say that too loudly on a basketball court.... But seriously, a sphere can be divided into planes. A sphere cut on a plane, leaves a circular plane, no matter which way you slice it.

Spheres are three dimensional. Planes are two dimensional. A two dimensional expression of a sphere is a plane, bound within a circular perimeter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I wouldn't say that too loudly on a basketball court.... But seriously, a sphere can be divided into planes. A sphere cut on a plane, leaves a circular plane, no matter which way you slice it.

Spheres are three dimensional. Planes are two dimensional. A two dimensional expression of a sphere is a plane, bound within a circular perimeter.
When you cut up a sphere into slices, each slice is not a sphere.

Upvote 0