Sci-fy and Serenity

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then your judgment of my belief is wrong and is summarily dismissed.

It is not sin to read Harry Potter or watch the movies.

Then how do you interpret 1 John 2:15-17?
It says love not the things of this world. Is not fiction something that is of this world and it's way of thinking?

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Then how do you interpret 1 John 2:15-17?
It says love not the things of this world. Is not fiction something that is of this world and it's way of thinking?

Are you saying that kids should not play make believe?

Is that not in itself fiction?

There are things of this world that we are not to love, there are things of this world that we do love. Do you not love your mom and dad? How about a wife or your kids if you have them? Are they not of the world? They were born on this world. How about food? Do you not love to eat certain foods? Is not food of the world?

I should reiterate my statement above. Reading Harry Potter or watching the movies is not sin for me and other Christians, but it might be sin for another Christian.

I have prayed about such things and I was lead to the scripture mentioned earlier, along with Romans 15 and 1 Corinthians 8-10. What God was showing me is that some sins are sin for some and not others. Take alcohol for example. I can drink alcohol and it's not sin because I do not drink in excess. I also drink very rarely. Mainly just a wine cooler or two. For another they may drink till they are drunk, that is sin.

You are free to disagree with me, as I disagree with you. I will agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

ThatCanadianDude_88

May 25, 2018
Montreal
✟11,530.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Do you think it is possible to be at peace while reading and watching things like the Harry Potter series?

There has been a debate about this amongst Christians for a long time.

I really enjoy Harry Potter and I actually moderate on a virtual Harry Potter experience website. I love what I do and it is something I am passionate about.

I feel at peace with it, but maybe it is different for everyone?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

~Scott

The Christian life isn't a subjective thing, it's a sure thing rooted in the truth of God's Word.

If that is not what is guiding you, you may find yourself coming to peace with all sorts of things, with sin being present in that list.

It's not for us to decide if something is wrong or right based on our "subjective" emotional state, something to be really careful about. We don't even get to decide what's wrong or right. This is God's domain. There is an area where we get to exercise our Christian liberty, but not for the purpose of sinning - paying attention so we don't find ourselves becoming entangled in sin or distracted.

To derive satisfaction or pleasure from things God declares to be an abomination, even if it is in the realm of fantasy. You don't think that is sin?

We are all free to think and feel whatever we want on such topics, but regarding Harry Potter, let's be honest and truthful in calling it what it is. The franchise is demonic.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but Harry Potter isn't science fiction. It's fantasy.

I realized the mistake there after I posted, but you can't edit the title. But, hey, at least the title is catchy

Yeah. I was thinking of this: Firefly. (An awesome series BTW)

Anyway, as far as Harry Potter goes, I don't get it. I'll probably offend many people by saying this, but I think Rowling was perceptive in putting a finger on societal trends and did a good job of crafting stories to keep the attention of children in an attention-deficit world, but it's not much more than that. The writing isn't really that good and most of the movies are awful.

With that said, I think people also fail to put a finger on the key moral issue with Harry Potter. It's not the magic, which is not the type of demonic summoning witchcraft they make it out to be. Rather, it's more of a magic for a scientific age. IOW, it's a magic that claims to codify process for mechanistic phenomena where the ultimate cause is unknown.

So, my moral objection to Harry Potter is that no one, including Harry himself, accepts any responsibility for what Harry does. In one place they'll condemn certain actions, and then in another place they accept Harry doing the exact same thing because, well, "Chosen One" - he's Harry. It violates one of the foundational principles of Western civilization - the Rule of Law - no one is above the law ... no one, not even Harry.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You sound like a Jainist. Yes, fiction is of this world in the same way food is of this world. So, better not eat or we'll offend God.

I don't have problems with fictional Christian films that attempt to lead folks to Jesus Christ.

I listed my favorites within this thread:

What Christian Movies Do You Find To Be The Most Rewatchable?

I have a problem with the world's version of fiction that leaves out Jesus Christ and salvation in Him or a fiction that pushes sinful things.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't have problems with fictional Christian films that attempt to lead folks to Jesus Christ.

I have a problem with the world's version of fiction that leaves out Jesus Christ and salvation in Him or a fiction that pushes sinful things.

Yes, I know. I believe we've had this conversation before.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. I was thinking of this: Firefly. (An awesome series BTW)

I initially thought the same thing because the name of the film. I used to love this series, but besides a few family friendly romance movies (that I watch with my wife), I have given up secular movie and TV watching as a whole because they push sinful things within them. Firefly is a series based on the theme of stealing (Which is a grievous sin in the eyes of God).

Anyway, as far as Harry Potter goes, I don't get it. I'll probably offend many people by saying this, but I think Rowling was perceptive in putting a finger on societal trends and did a good job of crafting stories to keep the attention of children in an attention-deficit world, but it's not much more than that. The writing isn't really that good and most of the movies are awful.

Men saying that a story is fictional does not undo the real sins that are being promoted within them. Stop and think for a moment. What sin do you hate the most? Now, imagine if someone wrote fiction on that particular sin you hate. Would you say that it is good to read such fiction and that the sinful things pushed in that book cannot influence a person to do those sins or to think that those sins are not all that bad?

You said:
With that said, I think people also fail to put a finger on the key moral issue with Harry Potter. It's not the magic, which is not the type of demonic summoning witchcraft they make it out to be. Rather, it's more of a magic for a scientific age. IOW, it's a magic that claims to codify process for mechanistic phenomena where the ultimate cause is unknown.

Any magical miraculous power operating outside of God's power are the powers of the forces of darkness. Sorcerers were killed in the OT. That should give you pause.

You said:
So, my moral objection to Harry Potter is that no one, including Harry himself, accepts any responsibility for what Harry does. In one place they'll condemn certain actions, and then in another place they accept Harry doing the exact same thing because, well, "Chosen One" - he's Harry. It violates one of the foundational principles of Western civilization - the Rule of Law - no one is above the law ... no one, not even Harry.

There are going to be plenty of moral problems in stories like these. Witchcraft should be the obvious one, but yes... there are other sins being pushed in these books, and films (Which is wrong of course).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've met the director of "The Resurrection of Gavin Stone" several times. Are you aware of his TV series? If so, what do you think of it?

I watched the pilot episode of the Chosen. It was pretty good. I did not watch the next episode because I find it really difficult to re-open my Facebook account. I am strongly against Facebook for many reasons, but I keep the account so as to re-activate it on rare occasion for my work. But when I am done (with a particular job task), I then de-active the account again. Maybe one of these days, I might get around to watching it. But I am hoping that the director puts the series on some other place besides Facebook (of which I hate).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Any magical miraculous power operating outside of God's power are the powers of the forces of darkness.

Like I said, I think we've talked about this. Your use of terms is inaccurate, and therefore you make inappropriate statements about the text.

But you're not going to find me defending Harry Potter.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like I said, I think we've talked about this. Your use of terms is inaccurate, and therefore you make inappropriate statements about the text.

But you're not going to find me defending Harry Potter.

So you believe there is good magic that is from God?
They cast spells and stuff. That is like evil. Such things are always of the powers of darkness. There is no power but from God. Nobody can access such power and not acknowledge that it is the power of God. If they are not acknowledging God, they are accessing their power from the evil one. There are only two kingdoms. God's kingdm and the devil's kingdom.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I watched the pilot episode of the Chosen. It was pretty good.

Despite the high production values and interesting story arc, my wife and I disliked it for essentially the same reason. I'm surprised your high moral standard would allow you to watch something that puts words in Jesus' mouth (as well as all the other historical figures).

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So you believe there is good magic that is from God?

When you get around to discussing the subtext of the terms you use, we can talk. Until then, please don't put words in my mouth or misrepresent me. I said nothing about magic being from God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Despite the high production values and interesting story arc, my wife and I disliked it for essentially the same reason. I'm surprised your high moral standard would allow you to watch something that puts words in Jesus' mouth (as well as all the other historical figures).

I only seen the pilot episode about the Shepherd. Jesus (the adult) was not in the series yet.

There was another series, called the Bible Mini Series:

I did not like the part in the Bible mini series where they had Jesus say that He will worship the Lord His God. Jesus is God. How can God worship God?

Anyways, there is a movie that I am excited to see. It is called "40." I mention in that here in my Christian movie thread.

Of course, I have my reservations in regards to this "40" film, and I hope that they do not violate the teachings of Jesus. But I do realize that their version of the temptation is not how it happened. It is painting a broad brush stroke of Christ's story to lead people to accept Christ as their Savior (And it is not meant to be a word for word story). It may give us glimpses of how things may have played out at certain points. But yes, I do prefer Christian films to stick to the text alone if it all possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you get around to discussing the subtext of the terms you use, we can talk. Until then, please don't put words in my mouth or misrepresent me. I said nothing about magic being from God.

Sorry, I was getting the impression that you did not see the magic in Harry Potter as anything condemned in the Bible. If so, then why don't you see a problem with the kind of power that they are working by?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I was getting the impression that you did not see the magic in Harry Potter as anything condemned in the Bible. If so, then why don't you see a problem with the kind of power that they are working by?

We need to back up. Maybe try this, a quote from the poet Yeats:
The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.

Is Yeats speaking of summoning demonic powers? Encouraging people toward witchcraft?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that kids should not play make believe?

Is that not in itself fiction?

There are things of this world that we are not to love, there are things of this world that we do love. Do you not love your mom and dad? How about a wife or your kids if you have them? Are they not of the world? They were born on this world. How about food? Do you not love to eat certain foods? Is not food of the world?

I should reiterate my statement above. Reading Harry Potter or watching the movies is not sin for me and other Christians, but it might be sin for another Christian.

I have prayed about such things and I was lead to the scripture mentioned earlier, along with Romans 15 and 1 Corinthians 8-10. What God was showing me is that some sins are sin for some and not others. Take alcohol for example. I can drink alcohol and it's not sin because I do not drink in excess. I also drink very rarely. Mainly just a wine cooler or two. For another they may drink till they are drunk, that is sin.

You are free to disagree with me, as I disagree with you. I will agree to disagree.

Again, this is not an explanation to 1 John 2:15-17 in what it says. How do you apply the part of this verse that says, "love not the things of this world" to your life?

The Bible talks about how we are to lead every thought captive to Christ.

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2 Corinthians 10:5).

In other words, our thoughts, are not God's thoughts.
His ways, are not our ways.
So we have to align our thoughts to what His Word says.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We need to back up. Maybe try this, a quote from the poet Yeats:
The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.

Is Yeats speaking of summoning demonic powers? Encouraging people toward witchcraft?

This is trying to deflect away from what Harry Potter and friends are doing. They are clearly working witchcraft, dark arts, or powers that are not of God. You appeared before to disagree with this.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Again, this is not an explanation to 1 John 2:15-17 in what it says. How do you apply the part of this verse that says, "love not the things of this world" to your life?

The Bible talks about how we are to lead every thought captive to Christ.

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2 Corinthians 10:5).

I gave you my answer. Not my problem if you don't like it.

Look, my mind will not change. I have prayed to God about it and I gave you the scripture that I was lead to. If you have a problem, take it with Him. Me? My girlfriend and I will be going to Universal Studios on Sunday with our wands in hand and will enjoy the Harry Potter portion of the theme park.

Upvote 0