Schools providing sexually explicit material to minors

Do you support the dissemination of sexually explicit materials to minor children?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am referring to a couple recent cases at school board meeting where parents read and showed depictions of such things as a minor boy performing on a man - graphic recounts of two ten year old boy having sex and the like. Along with the increasingly common use of vulgarity in minors literature.

Is this what our world is coming to?

I cannot link them because of forum rules, but the videos and public meetings are findable.

this seems to be an ever increasing issue among Democratically controlled areas.

Do you support the dissemination of sexually explicit materials to minor children?

Last edited:

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am referring to a couple recent cases at school board meeting where parents read and showed depictions of such things as a minor boy performing a sex act on a man - graphic recounts of two ten year old boy having sex and the like. Along with the increasingly common use of vulgarity in minors literature.

Is this what our world is coming to?

I cannot link them because of forum rules, but the videos and public meetings are findable.

this seems to be an ever increasing issue among Democratically controlled areas.

At least give us some specific keywords. Otherwise we're just going to run into stuff about child inappropriate content.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
there is a long and ugly history of claims of explicit materials being distributed to school children. They invariably turn out to be false claims. I remember a right wing group in the 80's claiming that graphic gay inappropriate content on was being distributed to middle school children. It turns out the gay inappropriate content was a not graphic pamphlet on HIV/AIDS that was part of an education workshop that took place in the school districts administration building during spring break.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I did a little research and guess what....

The irate mother blasting the Virginia school board with the book "Lawn Boy" a book depicting sexual acts between an was holding the book Lawn Boy by Jonathan Evison. However the book available that the public school library was "Lawn Boy by Gary Paulson which is a book about a 12 year old boy who gets a gift of an old lawnmower and starts his own business mowing laws. There is no sex of any sort in the Paulson book and she would have done well to do more than peruse the library catalog.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there is a long and ugly history of claims of explicit materials being distributed to school children. They invariably turn out to be false claims. I remember a right wing group in the 80's claiming that graphic gay inappropriate content on was being distributed to middle school children. It turns out the gay inappropriate content was a not graphic pamphlet on HIV/AIDS that was part of an education workshop that took place in the school districts administration building during spring break.

There is a video where the books were shown - too graphic for this forum. I am sorry, I cannot even describe it further without breaking forum rules.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I have also seen the contents of the books and though of course they can't be shown here, one of them very explicitly shows illustrated characters performing oral sex. It couldn't get more explicit than that. And of course when a passage of one of the books was read aloud at a school board meeting, they tried to get the parent to stop because it was too explicit, and yet it was free for any child to check out for themselves in the school library.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
33 Snowfish sounds like a good book. But we have elementary, middle school and high school. Yes middle and high schoolers should have more mature books. Elementary schools students, should have access to books about their anatomy, basic understanding of what kids, teens and grown ups shouldn't touch on their bodies . Some Elementary schools students all ready know about sex. And should really know where babies come from. Also Elementary schools students should have a basic understanding about gay and transgender people.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
No, I don't want sexually explicit materials provided to minors. And I do want complaints from overreactive parents passed through a sanity check before removing materials.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I don't want sexually explicit materials provided to minors. And I do want complaints from overreactive parents passed through a sanity check before removing materials.

When the 'overreactive' parents bring the materials to the school board and publicly read them and then show the graphic depictions in the books, do they still need a sanity check or perhaps someone else does as they serve their prison term?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
When the 'overreactive' parents bring the materials to the school board and publicly read them and then show the graphic depictions in the books

That is the sanity check. The school board determines whether the parents' claims have merit. (Naturally, it helps to have local news services keeping an eye on things, because the school board itself might be overly permissive or restrictive.)

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every time people start freaking out about "sexually explicit" material being taught to minors, especially those in high school, I'm reminded of my English class in my sophomore year of Catholic high school where we read things like poems that were clearly graphic euphemisms for the first time having sex (and specifically taught as such) and short stories about a girl being "raped" in a field (but as she gets older she tells the story as consensual sex rather than violent, forceful rape).

This sort of thing wasn't particularly odd or out of place to us, other than it being a bit weird that we were hearing out of the mouth of a teacher who looked like our grandmothers.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
S.C. Governor calls for investigation into "obscene and inappropriate contentographic materials in South Carolina public schools." - Breaking911
Thank you for actually providing something we can talk about.

Seems like the "inappropriate contentography" depicted in this comic book is a single frame with a picture of an ancient greek vase.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for actually providing something we can talk about.

Seems like the "inappropriate contentography" depicted in this comic book is a single frame with a picture of an ancient greek vase.

You can search and find plenty of information on it - here

In addition from the link:
The governor made the request in a letter to Superintendent Spearman after he received examples of inappropriate contentographic materials found in schools from concerned parents in Fort Mill. In addition, the governor has notified the State Law Enforcement Division to evaluate whether any state laws have been broken as a result.
Not singular

“If school personnel had performed even a cursory review in this particular instance, it would have revealed that the book contains sexually explicit and inappropriate contentographic depictions, which easily meet or exceed the statutory definition of obscenity. Thus, I am concerned that further examination may identify additional instances in which inappropriate materials have been introduced into our State’s public schools.”​

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, that is where I got the information in the post you quoted.

Then you should google the book title and look at some of the images - you will easily find out there are many more than a vase.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have also seen the contents of the books and though of course they can't be shown here, one of them very explicitly shows illustrated characters performing oral sex. It couldn't get more explicit than that. And of course when a passage of one of the books was read aloud at a school board meeting, they tried to get the parent to stop because it was too explicit, and yet it was free for any child to check out for themselves in the school library.
The book in question I believe is called "Gender Queer: A Memoir" which seems to be a type of graphic novel or comic book style. I don't believe there is are any depictions of explicit genitalia but it does show "toys" that could be confused as such. I would consider it inappropriate and I wouldn't want my kids to have access to it plus given the choice I would vote it down. I think however students would probably know the social risks/stigma involved with having a book like that and most would probably avoid that labeling (even those that identify themselves as such) thus avoid the book. I didn't read the book but it seems to be about encouraging experimentation with gender/sexual identities and sexual acts through a graphic medium so I'm sure it touches on a lot of content.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0