Feb 18, 2005
West Palm Beach
Visit site
✟7,925.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I was just wondering if I was the only one who gets scared when the pastor starts yelling about stuff. I mean, sure the pastor is really moved and wants to get his teaching heard, but when they get that emotional, it scares me and I don't feel like going back there lol. That's what happened at my boyfriend's church the first (and only) time I went. The pastor started yelling at how the church is never going to change and some other stuff (which I stopped listening to after 2 minutes) and I just don't ever want to go back there. At least I didn't let it have a bad impression on me that all churches are like that.

I went to my own church again last Sunday as usual, and the group that just went to India came back. One of the kids (who is a youth pastor or something) ended up very angry at the end of his speech, and it kind of scared me the same way, but I will still go back here, becaue he usually doesn't speak..

It just scares me is all lol. Pastors frighten me when they yell like that, even if they are being passionate about it.

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I accepted the Lord in a southern baptist church. Now those pastors get emotional and passionate about delivering God's word. I actually really enjoy it when a pastor gets so moved by the message that his emotions start running. I dont enjoy it when they try and fake it. There are times the church needs to be exhorted and brought up short. It's a pastor's job to do that as shepard of his flock. There is no perfect earthly church and at times righteous anger is needed. Those aren't the times to run away or tune out, but to sit up and take notice. Conflict is a part of life and will be a part of any earthly church. How they deal with it is important. The Peacemaker's organization has a wonderful saying: "True peace is not the absence of conflict. It is the biblical resolution of conflict"

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Belle0985 said:
I was just wondering if I was the only one who gets scared when the pastor starts yelling about stuff.

I won't be scared . I would think that the person was pathetic and walk on out while the person was on a rampage .

The pastor started yelling at how the church is never going to change and some other stuff ...

Well now . Since he was a part of "the church" , it sounds like his mind was made up *not* to change . Either that or he wasn't doing a good job and should have been docked a month's pay . Hit the guy where it hurts .

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That depends on what the pastor was on about. My pastor gets a little excited at times, ok a lot, but he's not screaming. Speaking loudly to emphasize soemthing is one thing, it's a common speaking tactic, but yelling condemnation at the congregation doesn't fit unless the pastor gets equally excited about liberty and grace.

Upvote 0

NaivetyLost

May 25, 2005
Minnesota
✟143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
I too found God at a Southern Baptist church, and they do like to get loud sometimes :) It never scared me thought, because when you have that 45 minutes (longer if he took his watch off) that could be the last chance someone has to hear about Jesus b4 they die, your emotions are gonna start running high.

Upvote 0

abednego

Jan 1, 2005
Ohio
✟566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some people just get scared when the spirit condems them... they dont know what to do and like one person said above they would just walk out while hes on a rampage. Also some people are a little ashamed to shout out for God. And in the bible it says if you are ashamed of him he will be ashamed of you. If you dont like shouting dont get on a cloud with me cuz im gonna be shoutin all the way up! Forever and Forever! Plus you have to understand that it is the spirit that is doing the preaching in any preacher. No preacher can just come up with a sermon on his own. Its God that is doing the preaching through the man. So someone said that they would be scared because the man seemed out of control, ... well fear not cuz God always in control when it comes to his preached word!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
abednego said:
Some people just get scared when the spirit condems them... they dont know what to do and like one person said above they would just walk out while hes on a rampage.

The first post stated :
when the pastor starts yelling about stuff

*I* know when the Spirit talks to me . The Spirit *never* "condems" me because there is no condemnation for those in the Lord . I could have said that I would yell back and tell the jerk to "Shut up!" but I would be as impolite , arrogant and ignorant as that person . If I pay someone , *they* better not yell at me . And , if they are damning me , they won't be paid by myself any longer .

Plus you have to understand that it is the spirit that is doing the preaching in any preacher. No preacher can just come up with a sermon on his own. Its God that is doing the preaching through the man. So someone said that they would be scared because the man seemed out of control, ... well fear not cuz God always in control when it comes to his preached word!

I don't *have to" understand nor agree with any bit of that .

All preachers speak only what the Lord wants them to speak ? That contradicts the whole letter called "Hebrews" . This is the *New* Covenant . I suppose that all the preachers that have had sex with their "laity" and who have sexually abused and molested children were falsely accused because these people are super human oracles of the Lord . No wonder cults exist . If your leader has more people like you , get ready for some Kool-Aid .

Upvote 0

JVarner83

Aug 17, 2006
✟15,258.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus spoke with one as having authority

When he spoke to the multitudes or crowds do you think he whispered?

Do you think when he cried out on the cross, did he whisper to his father or show emotion or pain?

When Peter was filled with the holy spirit, did he speak real soft to the people gathered around him?

Is it not ironic that we can go to a football/baseball/basketball game, cheer on our teem till we can't even speak, but when we preach/sing/testify about the one who gave us Eternal Life we can't even raise our voice?

Dead spirit = Dead church

I will agree, there are times that people force it upon the church.

It does'nt bother me much eaither way, soft spoken or loud, as long as there preaching the truth (Jesus Christ)

but I can assure you, we have something to be happy and shout about!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

TrustingmyLord

I believe.... (please, no one hit me) that pastors are to teach with love and patience, not yelling and stomping.

This doesnt mean they are do be constantly neutral, and if there are bad issues to deal with concerning someone in the congregation, it should be dealt with, but even then, not with yelling.

I find the yelling insulting to peoples intellegence. I can get the strong meaning of a sermon without having it screamed at me. Besides, I see too many of them doing it just for effect, showmanship, not neccessarily out of passion.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When pastors do they did doesn't scare me but of course it would depend on why they are yelling. Some ae emtional and really moving alot and all, some don't some just stand there and give their message (talking about whn they preach the word). I feel long as they are doing what God wants them to and how ever he wants the pastor to say it to me it's personally fine long as it is ok with God:)

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I get...not scared, but highly concerned. It makes me wonder if he or she is using passionate emotion to replace reason. It is easy to get caught up in a fit of passion and accept whatever is said. Some people will use this to their advantage. Not saying that everybody who yells is like this, some are genuinely emotional about their topic, but it makes me wonder.

Upvote 0

cavymom

Jan 25, 2005
✟16,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love when pastors are revved up, it's neat when they raise thier voices (yell) and sing and get everyone going. I would rather go to that kind of a church than one with a boring non-emotional preacher that puts everyone to sleep.

I like being able to cheer my pastor on like we just won the Stanley Cup... woohoo

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.