Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
There's always the straight-up torturer. Your Ramsay Bolton kind of character is plenty scary.

But scary in a more interesting and subtle way is the kind of villain Steven Moffat likes to create for Doctor Who: characters who look like everyday things in the world, like statues or shadows, but who turn out to be really dangerous. A demon who could masquerade as my house plant or teacup would have me always on edge, never able to relax, always wondering if this innocent-looking object or person was going to reach out and wrap me in its demonic tentacles.

That Dr Who episode "Blink" was actually pretty scary; featuring murderous weeping angel statues that can't move as long as something is looking at them. Just don't blink.
9c9d9334050ec5506381603e5330de10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i'd have to go with something from the 40K universe. A Bloodthirster of Khorne is your classic straight up daemon from myth with horns, seeking blood and skulls for the blood god. Or a Great Unclean One perhaps, joyfully spreading plague and petulance in the name of the plague god Nurgle.

Warhammer_Bloodthirsters_of_Khorne.jpg

Bloodthirster

GreatUncleanOne2.png

Great Unclean One

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's October (though you might not believe it since it hit 90 degrees today), and that means it's the season for Halloween and Samhain. I'm sure you've all heard how "demonic" the holidays are supposed to be, but if you really stop to think about demons, it's hard to take such warnings seriously.

Their nature, as explained often to me by Christians, is typically farfetch'd* and just plain silly. My understanding of their Biblical narrative actually makes me question god's supposed nature even more (you can ask me about that in another thread).

Pop culture isn't helping either. In an age where "thoughts and prayers" is the best response to a guy in armor and a military-grade assault weapon shooting up an elementary school, the devil as depicted by some dude with a bad sunburn and a pitchfork just isn't going to cut it anymore. In NJ, our National League Hockey team is the NJ Devils. There's a cute little devil mascot for distributions of Linux. We see them in cartoons a lot, even as protagonists. And don't get me started on horror movies; they spend most of the movie flicking the lights on and off and rearranging the furniture. That's not scary, that's mildly irritating.

So, for fun, I propose we reinvent them for the modern age. Make demons great again!
Consult your darkest nightmares and favorite monster movies and tell me what characteristics of a would-be demon are the most terrifying to you. What would it look and sound like? How would it move? Are they sentient? Do they have free will? Can you give them a more compelling motivation? Maybe a better backstory? Try to scare me.

I was talking about this with an artist acquaintance and a few hours after I gave her my description she sent me a picture of a character I designed after monsterfying him. If there's enough interest, I might share it.

*Farfetch'd is the name of a Pokemon that resembles a cute little duck and Pokemon was deemed to be demonic by Evangelical Christians as it's popularity grew. See what I did there?

You might be able to take the mob seen by former skeptic Howard Storm more seriously?

Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience
I repeatedly asked them where we were going, and they responded, "Hurry up, you'll find out."

They wouldn't answer anything. The only response was insisting that I hurry up and follow them. They told me repeatedly that my pain was meaningless and unnecessary. "Pain is [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]," they said.

I knew that we had been traveling for miles, but I occasionally had the strange ability to look back and see the hospital room. My body was still there lying motionless on the bed. My perspective at these times was as if I were floating above the room looking down. It seemed millions and millions of miles away. Looking back into the room, I saw my wife and my room-mate, and I decided they had not been able to help me so I would go with these people. Walking for what seemed to be a considerable distance, these beings were all around me. They were leading me through the haze. I don't know how long. There was a real sense of timelessness about the experience. In a real sense I am unaware of how long it was, but it felt like a long time - maybe even days or weeks. As we traveled, the fog got thicker and darker, and the people began to change. At first they seemed rather playful and happy, but when we had covered some distance, a few of them began to get aggressive. The more questioning and suspicious I was, the more antagonistic and rude and authoritarian they became. They began to make jokes about my bare rear end which wasn't covered by my hospital [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and about how pathetic I was. I knew they were talking about me, but when I tried to find out exactly what they were saying they would say, "Shhhhh, he can hear you, he can hear you."

Then, others would seem to caution the aggressive ones. It seemed that I could hear them warn the aggressive ones to be careful or I would be frightened away. Wondering what was happening, I continued to ask questions, and they repeatedly urged me to hurry and to stop asking questions. Feeling uneasy, especially since they continued to get aggressive, I considered returning, but I didn't know how to get back. I was lost. There were no features that I could relate to. There was just the fog and a wet, clammy ground, and I had no sense of direction. All my communication with them took place verbally just as ordinary human communication occurs. They didn't appear to know what I was thinking, and I didn't know what they were thinking. What was increasingly obvious was that they were liars and help was farther away the more I stayed with them. Hours ago, I had hoped to die and end the torment of life. Now things were worse as I was forced by a mob of unfriendly and cruel people toward some unknown destination in the darkness. They began shouting and hurling insults at me, demanding that I hurry along. And they refused to answer any question. Finally, I told them that I wouldn't go any farther. At that time they changed completely. They became much more aggressive and insisted that I was going with them. A number of them began to push and shove me, and I responded by hitting back at them.

This gang seem to be driven by guilt and shame over whatever they did while human.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You might be able to take the mob seen by former skeptic Howard Storm more seriously?

They sound like playground bullies, and that can definitely be traumatizing to someone who was bullied.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So awhile back I came up with a little duck character; for simplicity's sake, let's say he's an online avatar and a character in some stories.

Then I found an artist, Jen Linman, who was offering to monsterfy other people's characters. I gave her my character's reference sheet and a list of traits that I thought made a scary demon-thing.

A severed head that levitates in place over the torso.
One glowing red eye, the other missing entirely. He can't see well so his head has a permanent crookedness.
Missing patches of skin that expose an empty skeleton underneath.
His normally immaculate feathers are disheveled and ruined.
His leather jacket, torn and dirty.
Wisps of black smoke rise from his body as if it was smoldering.
He can't fly or run very fast and he won't hurt you when he finds you.
But if he thinks you're guilty, he follows you around. Standing there, staring and pointing and screaming incessantly.

smhorror.jpg

This is scaled down quite a bit.
He's my favorite monster followed by the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal and the Xenomorphs from the Alien franchise.

Happy Halloween!

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Wow, what lovely art!

Okay, I am taking a Lovecraftian bent for my first pass. I invoke: Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos.

"Nyarlathotep" by Joao Neto on Artstation

joao-neto-nyarlathotep.jpg

The Crawling Chaos, his most common epithet, walks the Earth in the guise of humans and can shapeshift in many forms. Rather than destroy life, he delights in causing minds to turn to madness. Bringing alien languages and incomprehensible esoteric horrors into the minds of unsuspecting passers-by. Through his madness, he enacts the will of The Outer Gods. He scours the worlds, attracting legions of mad followers of cultish devotion to his magical arts and practice. He is not a sleep, dreaming god trapped away in distant realms but right here among the people!

Some think he works for his father Azathoth, others think his maddening forms are emanations of other Old Ones. No matter the case, the most sterile and controlled man will break under the mind shredding visions from beyond the stars that Nyarlathotep brings.

In Lovecraft's Rats in the Walls (1924) he is called the faceless god dwelling in the caverns of Earth.

May Hathor & Sekhmet protect you if the crawling chaos ever infects your dreams!

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, I am taking a Lovecraftian bent for my first pass. I invoke: Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos.

Nicely done!
That definitely beats a sewer clown or a possessed doll any day.
Rather spider-like which makes it worse for me; I'm not a fan of them if they get too close.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Nicely done!
That definitely beats a sewer clown or a possessed doll any day.
Rather spider-like which makes it worse for me; I'm not a fan of them if they get too close.

Yeah he is one of my favorites!

I noticed mention of the Weeping Angels above, they're easily my favorite Doctor Who villain. The concept is creepy and novel enough to be compelling for me.

Plus I like the method through which they kill, quoting the Doctor:
"Fascinating race, the Weeping Angels. The only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. No mess, no fuss, they just zap you into the past and let you live to death. The rest of your life used up and blown away in the blink of an eye. You die in the past, and in the present they consume the energy of all the days you might have had, all your stolen moments. They're creatures of the abstract. They live off potential energy."

I thought it was put very well and really drives home what they are; they kind of fall in that category of cosmic horror for me.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Blink was the only episode of Dr. Who I've seen. For some reason it reminded me of that X-Files episode Darkness Falls about the tiny glowing bugs that won't try to eat you as long as your standing in the light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think Blink was the only episode of Dr. Who I've seen. For some reason it reminded me of that X-Files episode Darkness Falls about the tiny glowing bugs that won't try to eat you as long as your standing in the light.

I think I remember that one. I remember them getting into the car through the vents. So many!

I haven't watched Dr. Who.

Upvote 0