Oct 2, 2020
✟617,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I said applies to all patients, regardless of age or any other factors.

-- A2SG, dunno why you place more trust in politicians than doctors, though...
It's a matter of laws being in place to protect children. As for doctors, there are those who happily amputate healthy limbs to accommodate body integrity dysphoria.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟314,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do because every fetus develops into a child.
Not always. I have a friend who has lost many fetuses in trying to have a child. I think it is cruel to her to call a fetus a child.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not always. I have a friend who has lost many fetuses in trying to have a child. I think it is cruel to her to call a fetus a child.
True my bad my wife and daughter had 2 miscarriages. I should have said "most" not "every".

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟101,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do because every fetus develops into a child.
And children develop into teenagers, who develop into adults, and so on.

Why not just call every ova a senior citizen, and be done with it?

-- A2SG, cut out the middle man....

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟970,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's already been laws in place for decades prohibiting certain treatments and procedures that were deemed too harmful or potentially too harmful. There's nothing new about it.
Because it has been or now is doesn't make it more palatable to me. We have government and insurance companies dictating what medical treatment consumers can get. I would prefer that to be a personal decision of a consumer and of the medical provider. I don't much care for Big Brother making those decisions.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟617,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because it has been or now is doesn't make it more palatable to me. We have government and insurance companies dictating what medical treatment consumers can get. I would prefer that to be a personal decision of a consumer and of the medical provider. I don't much care for Big Brother making those decisions.
Children have to be protected by law because of all the awful things adults subject them to. What you're campaigning against is child protection law. I mean do you think it should be legal for doctors to amputate the healthy limbs of children with body dysphoria the way they do with adults? How many child protection laws should be repealed?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Children have to be protected by law because of all the awful things adults subject them to. What you're campaigning against is child protection law. I mean do you think it should be legal for doctors to amputate the healthy limbs of children with body dysphoria the way they do with adults? How many child protection laws should be repealed?
Since a child can't undergo surgery without the permission of a parent or guardian, or a court order, it looks like you would have to examine each law in that light.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟617,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since a child can't undergo surgery without the permission of a parent or guardian, or a court order, it looks like you would have to examine each law in that light.
Like amputating the limbs of children with body dysphoria?

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟970,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Could we trust medical ethics and professionalism to guide practice?

As a mental health therapist, from time-to-time I have been asked if someone could see me for evaluation and recommendation to proceed with transition surgery. My answer is always, "No, I don't do that." I don't need government to tell me what my answer should be.

• Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟970,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And here is a bit of irony. Many of the same folks who are okay with government action banning affirmative care lose their minds over government action banning conversion therapy. Either we want government making health care decisions for us or we don't.

Good luck, by the way, finding that doctor willing to cut off your arm because you don't like it. I'm betting you could spend that whole afternoon on the phone trying to make that appointment without much success.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,156.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I meant, that if they could eliminate a disorder just by outlawing the treatments for it until the sufferers turn 18 years of age, they could do something useful with power such as that.
Affirmative care has not been proven to be effective at all. Un fact there is evidence it is harmful. So tell us again how important it is that we have ineffective harmful treatments for kids?

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And children develop into teenagers, who develop into adults, and so on.

Why not just call every ova a senior citizen, and be done with it?

-- A2SG, cut out the middle man....
Why not call them a human being?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,156.00
Faith
Pentecostal
That's why we should trust people who never went to medical school to evaluate the best course of medical treatment for our children.

But seriously, when has "we must be 100% absolutely certain this will work" ever been the standard for a medical procedure? Never, except for now when there are no better arguments against something Fox News tells us we need to be very very upset at, because otherwise how would they distract us from the failings of the GOP to govern?
Right now there is no evidence it does work. In fact there is evidence it doesn't and in fact that it is harmful. Once again I refer you to what other countries have done in regards to this. SC isn't some rogue state here. They are following along with the current move away from this type of treatment. The government gets involved in all kinds decisions in the the private sector because sometimes it has to to prevent harm. Your complaint is foolish.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,156.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I believe there are certain elective procedures that should not be done for children or young adults until they have full brain development (around age 25) to make those decisions for themselves. And I think morals dictate that there are things I think should not be done at all.

That said, there is a question for me about how involved I want government involved in making health care decisions. Personally, I think it is fine for .gov to say, "we won't pay for these procedures" (i.e. Medicaid, Medicare, a national health plan if we had one), but do I want them to dictate what happens between by doctor and me in his office? No. (And, yet, we still pat ourselves on the back for living in a "free" country?)

What if .gov said we don't believe people should put metal in their bodies. That is not how God designed us so we aren't going to do hip and knee replacements anymore. Would we be happy with that? Me, not so much.

Moral issues aside, I would like the party of less government to give us less government, or we simply aren't as free as we fantasize ourselves to be.
Governments job is to protect its people. That's why we have pollution laws, smoking and drinking laws, seatbelt laws etc etc. Sometimes the government needs to step in in behalf of its citizens when harm is being done. And all the current systematic reviews of these treatments have shown this us ineffective And there I s research that says it's actually harmful to kids.

If your doctor was telling you to get a treatment that was ineffective and harmful I'm sure you would want someone to step in and say stop. Someone had to step up and stop lobotomies.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟341,156.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Those patients have been adults. It's whole different situation starting it out on children. Politicians represent the public interest. Looking at all the bizarre cosmetic changes that doctors perform on hundreds, it's obvious many are all too happy to do weird and unnecessary things to people. Should those procedures be performed on children as well?
Don't buy those claims. There is no reliable research to shI w that even adults benefit.

Upvote 0