NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if someone says "I will not use the internet anymore" does that pretty much seal them into not using the internet anymore and everytime they use the internet it is a lie?

Cant god forgive them with what they words and they are free to use the internet?

Technically, if you say you "won't use the internet anymore" and you use it, then you have broken your promise. After that, the promise is already broken.

If you use it and then say, "OK, that was the last time. Now, I'll never use the internet again." and then you use it again, that's another broken promise.

It's the classic "repentance loop". Don't repent if you plan to do it again.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so the bottom line is i cant use the internet ever again without sinning?

IMO, I would say that you've already broken that promise. You can't really break a promise twice. If you log out and say that you'll never do it again and then come back tomorrow, that's breaking a whole new promise.

If this was a promise to God, then I'd pray for guidance. What does he want you to do? If you are promising to stay off the internet forever because of a specific problem (like inappropriate content or gaming addiction) and the only way to avoid the temptation is to give up the internet altogether, then you should give it up until you can resist the temptation. But, always pray for guidance. Only you and God know the reasons for your promise. He will aid you in whatever you need.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it wasnt a promise, i just sort of blurted it out. Does that matter?

What was in your heart at the time? We blurt things out all the time that we don't mean. You might want to examine the reasons why you blurted it out. There might be something in there that you do need to discuss with God.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well i have OCD and i constantly paranoid that i am sinning, also i was having a hangover that day if i remember correctly.

but the bottom line is though, i am sinning(lying) if i am using the internet?

You are mentally ill and had a hangover. I doubt that anything you blurt out can be held against you.

But, the reason you blurted it out may be something you need to seek help with. People can do some stupid (and illegal) things on the internet. If you did one of those, then get some real help from someone you trust.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i dont think i did anything illegal, but arnt all idle words judged?

If they are, then we're all in big trouble. Just pray for forgiveness, then ask for guidance with what you really need to do. Make a promise that you can keep and keep it.

If I promise that I'll never eat a cookie again, I know that I am setting myself up for failure. God knows that too. If I promise to never sit down with a package of Oreos and eat the whole pack again, then I can keep that promise.

When I became diabetic 10 years ago, I was in a panic because I knew that I couldn't keep to the strict diet. Once I learned how the disease and the medication worked, I knew that I could handle it. I love my Oreos and I eat two every night with a half a glass of milk. Only two. And because of that, I can stay Oreo-free the rest of the day. Some nights, I even put one of my cookies back in the pack because one was enough.

Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I appreciated reading Bryan's comments on this issue as I thought he gave some good advice.

However, regarding promises, I'm fairly sure Jesus (and at least one other contributor to the books of the Bible) warned against making promises altogether.

It's better to let our yes be yes and our no be no. That way, if circumstances change or whatever, then we have room to reconsider our "yes" or "no" based on new information, because it was never a promise to begin with.

The OP himself recognizes that it wasn't a promise, but rather, "idol words". Yeah we need to be accountable for them because every idol word WILL be judged. It should be a good reminder about not blurting stuff out carelessly, even if you are a bit drunk at the time (or, especially if you are a bit drunk!) :)

Upvote 0

Hizikyah

so many with enmity to righteousness, it's scary
Aug 21, 2013
✟388.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yaaqob (Jacob)4:13-16, "Come now, you who say: Today or tomorrow, we will go to such and such a city, and remain a year there to buy and sell, and make a profit. Yet you do not know what tomorrow may bring. For what is your life? Is it not a vapor that appears for a little while, and then vanishes away? Instead, you ought to say: If it is
Yahweh's will, and we are alive, we will do this or that. As it is, you are arrogant in your boasting; All such boasting is evil."

There is only 1 being in existance that can guarantee anything and it is YAHWEH!

HALLELUYAHWEH!

Last edited:
Upvote 0