Say no to inappropriate content! But HOW?

SnappleX

Bond-Slave
Jan 25, 2011
Blaine, Washington
Visit site
✟7,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hello, I have developed an incredibly ugly addiction to inappropriate contentographic material and I really don't know HOW to break it! It is a somewhat NEW thing in my life, maybe a year or so but I really wanna curb this horrible burden that is probably the largest thing in the way of my progress towards walking with Christ.

I have come A LONG way over the past two years but I have gradually replaced other bad habbits I had in the past with Viewing inappropriate content, Fornication, Lust and inappropriate contentography. To the average person they would think I was doing pretty good, as I have overcome some INCREDIBLY huge obstacles in the renewal of my life in Christ Jesus. So I really want to work on this thing so that I can get it under conrol. I am on a mission to meet the girl I am destined for and no one else! I do not want any more one night stands, flings or relationships that aren't going to turn out... What I truely want is the one girl I am going to marry and spend the rest of my life with! So I pray for the strength to refrain from giving into fleshly desires if they arise in the future. As for the masturbation and inappropriate contentography. I still feel that I may not be able to quit completely.

Any advice from people that have successfully surmount this obstacle in their life?

Thanks in advance
-- SnappleX

Vulcan

May 28, 2012
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We ourselves can't defeat these obstacles by our own strength, but with His strength we can overcome them. Pray to God to continue to give you strength, He bore your struggle on the cross you just have to let him take it out of your hands and into His.

I know it's not easy, here's a good verse.

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christs have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. (Galatians 5:16-26 NKJV)

Upvote 0

blankCrossfire

Hebrews 4:15-16
Jun 20, 2011
✟15,744.00
Faith
Christian
Content filters are your friend.
Make a list of sites you'd go to for that or simply just add keywords so that the filters blocks access to them when temptation presents itself.

There are plenty of free ones out there (for firefox, not sure about other the other browsers) like
-Procon Latte Content Filter (+1)
-BlockSite
-Fox Filter

If you've shared your problem with anyone in your family, it would be best for them to set the password. The only issue if you can even call it that is that these filters assume ALL sites are bad so you'll have to 'whitelist' each website you go to by entering the password.

If you think you can handle the password I'd suggest making it relevant to scripture so that you're constantly reminded each and every time.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, I have developed an incredibly ugly addiction to inappropriate contentographic material and I really don't know HOW to break it! It is a somewhat NEW thing in my life, maybe a year or so but I really wanna curb this horrible burden that is probably the largest thing in the way of my progress towards walking with Christ.

I have come A LONG way over the past two years but I have gradually replaced other bad habbits I had in the past with Viewing inappropriate content, Fornication, Lust and inappropriate contentography. To the average person they would think I was doing pretty good, as I have overcome some INCREDIBLY huge obstacles in the renewal of my life in Christ Jesus. So I really want to work on this thing so that I can get it under conrol. I am on a mission to meet the girl I am destined for and no one else! I do not want any more one night stands, flings or relationships that aren't going to turn out... What I truely want is the one girl I am going to marry and spend the rest of my life with! So I pray for the strength to refrain from giving into fleshly desires if they arise in the future. As for the masturbation and inappropriate contentography. I still feel that I may not be able to quit completely.

Any advice from people that have successfully surmount this obstacle in their life?

Thanks in advance
-- SnappleX

Have a look at these:

Men and Marriage | Mars Hill Church

Sex: God, Gross, or Gift? | Mars Hill Church

The inappropriate content Path | Mars Hill Church

Answer the following question:

Proverbs 5:20

Why should you be intoxicated, my son, with a forbidden woman and embrace the bosom of an adulteress?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mytel

Sep 18, 2009
australia
✟9,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You need to trust God completely, hand the issue over to Him and and allow Him to remove it from your life. I believe it is only through God that we are released from these things. But you have to be willing to.

Someone posted this before in another thread but i thought the thoughts expressed in it might be helpful

Loved by God, Loving Others: Freedom from Struggling with Sin

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
inappropriate contentography is mainly for profit. I believe sexual feelings should have never been part of human nature if Adam and Eve stayed a huge distance away from Satan's deception in the Garden of Eden since the beginning of time. If Adam and Eve did exactly what God told them and ignored Satan completely, then instead of sexual feelings, we would experience Christ's joy spiritually as we become ever excited to see each other as brothers and sisters of Christ where beauty and health, along with intelligence, keep us perfectly happy in God's dust-free pollution-free kingdom. When Jesus returns in the future, our new minds and bodies of Christ will experience the positive feeling of Christ's joy that's like riding on a rollercoaster upside down where Earth's gravity wants to tickle our bodies as they become as light as a feather just for a few seconds.:*..
:liturgy:

• Agree
Reactions: Jon Osterman
Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe sexual feelings should have never been part of human nature if Adam and Eve stayed a huge distance away from Satan's deception in the Garden of Eden since the beginning of time. If Adam and Eve did exactly what God told them and ignored Satan completely, then instead of sexual feelings, we would experience Christ's joy spiritually as we become ever excited to see each other as brothers and sisters of Christ where beauty and health, along with intelligence, keep us perfectly happy in God's dust-free pollution-free kingdom.

If sexual feelings weren't supposed to be part of human nature, then why did God create the sexes?

I think God created the sexes primarily so that we could experience the joy of sex. Unless you want to argue that Eve only developed a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] after the fall, or so on. God could have made us so that we just spawn offspring or reproduce asexually or something like that if He was concerned with a purely utilitarian approach to reproduction. But that is not the way God made us, and there's a reason for that.

inappropriate content simply capitalizes on this pleasure in a way that is idolatrous; the pleasure is good but the idolatry is not. The godly way to go about having sexual pleasure is marriage, where one man and one woman can be naked together as one flesh without shame, just as Adam and Eve were before the fall. Idolatry perverts this, and as mankind are now idolaters due to the fall, that's why we have the "adult entertainment" industry and a lot of sexually frustrated people about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
@OP: There's not much you have to do. Trust in God and find joy in Him. Search it with all your might, read Scriptures, remove that inappropriate content and all that reminds you of it and don't let the devil tell you that inappropriate content is part of your identity. If you really want to get rid of it the best advice I can give you is to just do it. Any thought or emotion that you can't is based on a satanic lie. The rest is up to you. You most certainly can avoid inappropriate content. The LORD will give you strength to do it, you just have to believe that He is able and willing. He is passionate that you know Him. That is the only hope and ultimate answer to every sinful proclivity and habit. I hope this helps. May God bless you! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You've been honest - but this is a much wider problem amongst men than most would like to admit. God gives men sexual desires, but that is part of His plan to give them motivation to find a mate. Unfortunately, in the strange "virtual world" that exists today men can become hooked on those desires.

Step back and understand that what God wants you to do - is to find a good woman and be with her. Marry her. Time spent on inappropriate content is (at best) totally wasted time. It's time that you could have been spending with someone that you really love and cherish.

So it's time for YOU... to start going out there and meeting new people, bud!

Finally, and I am not criticizing you personally here, but inappropriate content is designed for suckers. All forms of addiction are set up to milk people ... to get their money. inappropriate content, gambling, prostitution, illegal drugs ... the folks who run these operations are just looking for suckers. You give up your hard-earned money to these losers, and they become rich because of it. Does that make sense?? Most guys have enough pride to realize that they are being scammed, and then to put an end to it.

Time to pray to God and move on.
Look for a good wife who will make you happy.

cheers,
gideon123

Upvote 0

SnappleX

Bond-Slave
Jan 25, 2011
Blaine, Washington
Visit site
✟7,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thanks everybody, and it seems that it is a pretty common theme amongst everyone that God is the true answer. He is the One who is able to remove these short-commings and defects of character I have developed. I truely want to make this change as I know it is hindering my walk with Christ and is basically the final thing I need to work on in my walk with Christ.

Some people made some interesting points about God wanting us to experience sex with a partner (or he would have not created the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse])... He could have made us Asexual or removed the pleasure aspect of reproducing all together...

I pray for strength to get through the day without inappropriate contentography, and a will to get out and meet the right girl who i'll become one flesh with....

anyways, thank you everybody for the advice and please pray for me, because I'll need it!

-- SnappleX

Upvote 0

Ttery

May 27, 2010
✟19,617.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know the temptations you are going through with inappropriate contentography because I've been there too.

Try to not entice the temptation when it comes up. Think of it like a tree, if you water it, it'll grow. Just try to get your mind on something else. Also, keep fighting the temptation no matter how long it may take. Praying isn't bad either, talk to God about your struggles and ask for His help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
First off, recognize that inappropriate contentography is warping you. It is establishing in you views on sexuality and on women that are perversions of reality. You will become a crooked man if you continue to make a diet of inappropriate content.

Second, recognize that you have within you all the power you need to step away from inappropriate content for good. You have the Spirit of the Almighty God of the Universe living within you. He can enable you to be the person you are in Christ.

Do you realize that every time you sin as a Christian you live in contradiction to who you are? If you are a Christian, you are a new creation in Christ, "old things are passed away, behold, all things are become new!" The moment you were born again, you changed fundamentally and forever. Do you know who you have become as one of God's children? Very few Christians seem to these days. I'm not talking about being bound for heaven some day and forgiven of sins in the present. I'm talking about "being dead to sin and alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." I'm talking about having the nature of Christ as your own new nature. If you don't know about these things, if you don't understand what they mean to your life as a Christian, you will never see the power of who you really are as God's child manifested in your life. You will continue to believe you are largely powerless against your inappropriate content addiction, to live without the victory that is yours over sin through Christ. The apostle Peter wrote,

2 Peter 1:2-4
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,
3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue,
4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Do you know what the "exceeding great and precious promises" are that allow you to be a partaker of God's divine nature? If not, sin will continue to overpower you on a regular basis. Imagine if you were a street person, scrabbling in the garbage for food, broke, and hungry, and dirty all the time. Now what would happen if some rich but distant uncle of yours - someone you never knew - died and left you a million dollars? What if you had no idea that all that money was sitting in a bank account waiting for you to make a withdrawal? Would your life change any? No, it wouldn't. You'd just go on rummaging through the garbage feeling dirty and hungry all the time. In the same way, many Christians go about rummaging in the garbage of sin because they don't know that God has made them spiritual princes and princesses. The live as spiritual street people when God has made them spiritual millionaires! All that is needed is for them to know who they are, to know what God has given to them as His children, and the streets of spiritual poverty may be left behind.

I have come A LONG way over the past two years but I have gradually replaced other bad habbits I had in the past with Viewing inappropriate content, Fornication, Lust and inappropriate contentography. To the average person they would think I was doing pretty good, as I have overcome some INCREDIBLY huge obstacles in the renewal of my life in Christ Jesus.
You see, this is what happens when we try to do what only God can do. When God does His thing in us, He doesn't leave the way open for other sins to take over. Sadly, a lot of Christians strive and strain to clean themselves up "with God's help" but the truth is that when we do the cleaning up we never do the job God would do.

So I really want to work on this thing so that I can get it under conrol. I am on a mission to meet the girl I am destined for and no one else!
Fantastic!

I do not want any more one night stands, flings or relationships that aren't going to turn out... What I truely want is the one girl I am going to marry and spend the rest of my life with! So I pray for the strength to refrain from giving into fleshly desires if they arise in the future.
Here's the thing: You are praying for what you already have in Christ. You don't need more strength, you need to, by faith, lay hold of and stand upon the truth of who you are as a new creation in Christ. You need to live in daily submission to the will of God's Spirit as He convicts and teaches you.

As for the masturbation and inappropriate contentography. I still feel that I may not be able to quit completely.
Until you learn that your feelings don't dictate what is true about you and your circumstances, but rather the truth of God's Word, you will never be able to "quit sin completely."

See above - for a start. :)

Selah.

Upvote 0

SnappleX

Bond-Slave
Jan 25, 2011
Blaine, Washington
Visit site
✟7,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thanks yet again everyone.

Aika thanks mate. you had some good things to share and I really appreciate it!

"Until you learn that your feelings don't dictate what is true about you and your circumstances, but rather the truth of God's Word, you will never be able to "quit sin completely."

Even if I learned the truth of gods word I could never quit sin completely. But I am going to try and step out on a limb here in faith to start afresh and sincerily try. I have attempted these things before but I slipped, fell down and admitted defeat over them. Instead of getting back on the wagon, so to speak, I just figured I was doomed and why even try again.....

Patience is something I am going to need in order to complete the goal I have started. And truthfully I doubt I will make it from today to my wedding night to experience the pleasure of an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], so do you think it is a "BAD" thing to know that I will probably touch in the future? Knowing that my self-control is not even close to where I-Or God would like it to be I don't I lake motivation to attempt knowing that it will probably yield a failure?
^^^^^^^ Hope that makes sense?^^^^^^^

Thanks in advance for your help and comments/opinions

-- SnappleX

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"Until you learn that your feelings don't dictate what is true about you and your circumstances, but rather the truth of God's Word, you will never be able to "quit sin completely."

Even if I learned the truth of gods word I could never quit sin completely. But I am going to try and step out on a limb here in faith to start afresh and sincerily try. I have attempted these things before but I slipped, fell down and admitted defeat over them. Instead of getting back on the wagon, so to speak, I just figured I was doomed and why even try again.....
LOL! Sorry if I gave you the impression you could be sinlessly perfect. Not gonna' happen. BUT, you can live so that sin is the exception rather than the rule in your life. See, the Bible tells us that you and I as born again believers are dead to sin. Paul the apostle says some really incredible things about this. Check it out:

Romans 6:1-4
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?
2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Anyone who is born again has "died to sin." This isn't a physical fact, but a spiritual one. In fact, Paul explains above that every Christian has, spiritually, been buried and raised again with Christ and now walks in "newness of life." How is this possible? Don't ask me! I have no idea how, exactly, this was done, but this doesn't really matter. What does matter is that it has been done. And Paul says that as a result you and I no longer have to "live in sin that grace may abound." In fact, Paul goes further and says,

Romans 6:6
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.

Here Paul says that we are no longer slaves to sin. Its power to control us has been broken by Christ's crucifixion and resurrection, and by our identification with what he has done for us. Of course, I don't always feel like I'm dead to sin. Sometimes I don't feel very dead to sin at all! Its pull on me seems very real and strong! So, what do I do when this is the case? Well, Paul tells us:

Romans 6:11-14
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Paul says here that we are to "reckon," or count on the fact that we are dead to sin. Act as though it is so because it is. Your feelings have nothing to do with this. When the temptation to view inappropriate content seizes you, remind yourself that you are not its prisoner, that you are dead to sin and alive unto God, and you have the capacity to say "No!" to sin and walk away from it. And walk away you must. It's no good saying you are dead to sin while you stare at inappropriate content. As Paul says above, "Do not yield yourself as an instrument of unrighteousness."

You see, much of the Chrsitian life is about bringing your spiritual position into your daily condition. Your spiritual position as a Christian is set the moment you are saved, but experiencing the effect of your position in how you live every day (your condition) takes time and a knowledge of who you are as God's child. This is what Paul is talking about in the above passages. He says your spiritual position is that you are dead to sin. Not soon to be dead or in the process of dying, but dead - right now. Are you experiencing this in your condition, in how you live every day? Not yet. But, as you count on the fact of being dead to sin even when you feel - and perhaps feel strongly - that you are not dead to sin, you will begin to experience the truth of your position in your condition. All of this happens, of course, as you depend entirely on God's Spirit to enable you to stand on the truth without wavering.

so do you think it is a "BAD" thing to know that I will probably touch in the future?
I don't think masturbating is a sin. I think doing so with inappropriate contentographic images in your mind, or on a screen or page in front of you most definitely is. It is going to take time to be in your daily condition what God says is true of you as His child the moment you are saved. You will very likely stumble and fall so take the apostle Paul's advice:

Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal
for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Keep on keeping on, brother!

Selah.

Upvote 0