Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
have they called MI?

and no, he won't drop out, there is no reason for him to yet; the primaries are still proportional in giving out delegates, that lasts until April.
Yes, they've called MI. Santorum lost. Michigan was supposed to be his strong point, Rust Belt, blue collar, Catholic, manufacturing state, and Santorum lost it. Santorum even got a lot of votes from Democrats in MI's open primary as part of 'Operation Hilarity' to further embarass the GOP by keeping Santorum's campaign going...And he still lost.

Santorum lost the Catholic vote in both MI and AZ.

If he has any self-respect, he will drop out. If he wants Obama to win re-election, he will keep his campaign going.

Upvote 0
C

conamer

Yes, they've called MI. Santorum lost. Michigan was supposed to be his strong point, Rust Belt, blue collar, Catholic, manufacturing state, and Santorum lost it. Santorum even got a lot of votes from Democrats in MI's open primary as part of 'Operation Hilarity' to further embarass the GOP by keeping Santorum's campaign going...And he still lost.

Santorum lost the Catholic vote in both MI and AZ.

If he has any self-respect, he will drop out. If he wants Obama to win re-election, he will keep his campaign going.
Ha, Mitt barely won his home state, oh my gosh, you say the number two guy should drop out. That's rich.

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
Ha, Mitt barely won his home state, oh my gosh, you say the number two guy should drop out. That's rich.
It's not Romney's home state. He hasn't lived there in decades. And Democratic joke votes added about 4 points onto Santorum's total. Romney made gaffe after gaffe, the state was a natural fit for Santorum to sweep, and he flopped epically.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

actually the exit polls are interesting, if accurate, and do point to the Dems playing shenanigans in the MI primary. Among GOP voters there Romney beat Santorum 49%-36%, among Dems Santorum beat Romney 52%-18%...again I call shenanigans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
actually the exit polls are interesting, if accurate, and do point to the Dems playing shenanigans in the MI primary. Among GOP voters there Romney beat Santorum 49%-36%, among Dems Santorum beat Romney 52%-18%...again I call shenanigans.
Here's what ABC said: Democrats Shake Up Michigan Primary, Exit Polls Show - ABC News
Exit poll results found that nearly one in 10 voters in Michigan’s open primary were Democrats. That was off their peak – 17 percent in 2000, when they tipped the contest to John McCain. But they influenced this year’s outcome nonetheless: Santorum won 53 percent of Democrats, versus just 17 percent for Romney. Without them Romney would have had a fairly comfortable win. With them it was closer.
Apparently, the Democrats weren't any more highly motivated than the Republicans in this election. Crossover voting must be traditional sport in Michigan. At times they come out in droves to skew an election. Not so much this time ... ^_^

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
Here's what ABC said: Democrats Shake Up Michigan Primary, Exit Polls Show - ABC News
Exit poll results found that nearly one in 10 voters in Michigan’s open primary were Democrats. That was off their peak – 17 percent in 2000, when they tipped the contest to John McCain. But they influenced this year’s outcome nonetheless: Santorum won 53 percent of Democrats, versus just 17 percent for Romney. Without them Romney would have had a fairly comfortable win. With them it was closer.
Apparently, the Democrats weren't any more highly motivated than the Republicans in this election. Crossover voting must be traditional sport in Michigan. At times they come out in droves to skew an election. Not so much this time ... ^_^

Democrats are voting in the GOP primary because there is no contest on the Democratic side. Obama is running unopposed.

And they are voting for Rick Santorum because they know the whole country, besides his small group of supporters, sees him as a joke, and if Rick won the nomination Obama's re-election would be guaranteed.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's all over but the shouting now. Yes, there are more primaries but they are inconsequential. The tide has been turned. The question now is what southern conservative Romney picks to run with.

Bobby Jindal is a sort of ethnic, southern Santorum, anyone think he's a possibility?
LOL

Thank you, great sage of Detroit ... Maybe, I'll put the popcorn away now. ^_^

Or, maybe not ... no great Romney love in the South ... stay tuned ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

Anoetos

LOL

Thank you, great sage of Detroit ... Maybe, I'll put the popcorn away now. ^_^

Or, maybe not ... no great Romney love in the South ... stay tuned ...

I meant no offense. My thinking was that Romney needs to make nice with the tea party and the south. He needs to connect himself with a southern conservative. I know little else about Jindal except that he's at least those things.

As far as the rest goes, yeah, I'm a political prophet: Santorum is done, put a fork in him. He gave his last, best effort in Michigan. He's spent, and no one else is going to catch up.

On the other hand, this isn't prognostication, it's just reality anyone with any sense needs to admit. The GOP will line up behind Mitt, like good soldiers, provided he extends an olive branch to the Tea Party (and the south). They all know now that he's their best chance of beating Obama (slim though it may be).

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I meant no offense. My thinking was that Romney needs to make nice with the tea party and the south. He needs to connect himself with a southern conservative. I know little else about Jindal except that he's at least those things.

As far as the rest goes, yeah, I'm a political prophet: Santorum is done, put a fork in him. He gave his last, best effort in Michigan. He's spent, and no one else is going to catch up.

On the other hand, this isn't prognostication, it's just reality anyone with any sense needs to admit. The GOP will line up behind Mitt, like good soldiers, provided he extends an olive branch to the Tea Party (and the south). They all know now that he's their best chance of beating Obama (slim though it may be).
Nah ... not buying it. Both Ron Paul and Rick Santorum have the fortitude to go all the way to the convention. Newt Gingrich has at least one more week to pull a rabbit out of the hat. We see signs of uneasy alliances being drawn (OK, one is easy, the other uneasy but why quibble details ... )

Romney is the favorite only of Wall Street, the Republican establishment and the mainstream media ... which ought to set off all sorts of warning bells. He has lots of money ... and requires it all to beat grotesquely underfunded opposition. What's wrong with this picture? :doh:

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nah ... not buying it. Both Ron Paul and Rick Santorum have the fortitude to go all the way to the convention. Newt Gingrich has at least one more week to pull a rabbit out of the hat. We see signs of uneasy alliances being drawn (OK, one is easy, the other uneasy but why quibble details ... )

Romney is the favorite only of Wall Street, the Republican establishment and the mainstream media ... which ought to set off all sorts of warning bells. He has lots of money ... and requires it all to beat grotesquely underfunded opposition. What's wrong with this picture? :doh:

will the south vote for Santorum? I doubt it with Gingrich still in the race, ergo, next week Romney and Gingrich will win some states, and Santorum will be on the decline even more; the see-saw between Newt and Rick will all but ensure Mitt wins.

Upvote 0