Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sandra Fluke is a student at Georgetown Law. She’s also a “reproductive rights activist” who agrees wholeheartedly with the Obama administration’s controversial contraceptive mandate. Her reasoning, though, is likely to enrage some critics.

During a testimony in front of the House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee on Monday (a meeting that was held by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi), Fluke — who was coincidentally the only witness heard — described the financial constraints that purchasing birth control puts on her peers.

“Forty percent of the female students at Georgetown Law reported to us that they struggled financially as a result of this policy,” Fluke said, referring to the fact that the university doesn’t pay for contraception. “Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school.”

She detailed, among other stories, how one woman felt “embarrassed” and “powerless” at the pharmacy counter when she “learned for the first time” that contraceptives weren‘t covered by the university’s health care plan.

I am absolutely floored that the nanny state has produced this generation of complete leeches who think that everybody else should be paying for their choices.:doh:

I certainly hope Georgetown University or anyone else doesn't care that she and her friends felt embarrassed and powerless.

Last edited:

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟829,211.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am absolutely floored that the nanny state has produced this generation of complete leeches who think that everybody else should be paying for their choices.:doh:

I certainly hope Georgetown University or anyone else cares that she and her friends felt embarrassed and powerless.
The cheapest form of birth control is abstinence. It's free.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The cheapest form of birth control is abstinence. It's free.

Somebody needs to tell that to Sandra and her friends. I do understand that birth control pills are used to regulate other stuff too. But that shouldn't be the public's burden either.

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

O-R-C-H-E-S-T-R-A-T-E-D!!!!!!
You bet it was. Just look at all the men who paraded in, complete in costume.

Only female witness most likely, all the others were men dressed in robes of some kind. I think they are called Bishops from the catholic church.

That's is what we need more of, more men telling what the women should be doing, right? (it has worked since 1950) c'mon, I know you're thinking it, but don't.

Georgetown U. being a catholic school doesn't abide by our laws, they are above that. Having their heads in the heavens, feet on earth and hands in the government pockets.

Oh my, Sandra Fluke attending a catholic school and she wants her insurance to assist in cost of contraception. A Bishop may ask as to why you need that?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟829,211.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
O-R-C-H-E-S-T-R-A-T-E-D!!!!!!
You bet it was. Just look at all the men who paraded in, complete in costume.
I'm sure that it was orchestrated judging by the name of the hearing. "Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?"
2-16-12 "Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?"

Of course it was held by Rep. Darrell Issa who could do as he chose.
Only female witness most likely, all the others were men dressed in robes of some kind.
No, there were two female witnesses.
Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs​
Oklahoma Christian University​
Medical Director​
Calvin College Health Service

I think they are called Bishops from the catholic church.
Incorrect, there was only one Catholic bishop though another witness was the President of a Catholic University.
That's is what we need more of, more men telling what the women should be doing, right? (it has worked since 1950) c'mon, I know you're thinking it, but don't.
It wasn't about men telling women what to do but members of the clergy or University leaders saying that they shouldn't be told to violate their moral values by the government.
Georgetown U. being a catholic school doesn't abide by our laws, they are above that. Having their heads in the heavens, feet on earth and hands in the government pockets.
blah-blah-blah
Oh my, Sandra Fluke attending a catholic school and she wants her insurance to assist in cost of contraception. A Bishop may ask as to why you need that?
It would be legitimate but she may not be Catholic. It may be a Catholic University but it is run independent of the Church.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But... But... ABSTINENCE??? What about the RIGHT to have sex whenever I want? I can't be expected to deny myself!!! ;)
^_^
I'm sure that it was orchestrated judging by the name of the hearing. "Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?"
2-16-12 "Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?"

Medical Director​

Incorrect, there was only one Catholic bishop though another witness was the President of a Catholic University.

It wasn't about men telling women what to do but members of the clergy or University leaders saying that they shouldn't be told to violate their moral values by the government.

blah-blah-blah

It would be legitimate but she may not be Catholic. It may be a Catholic University but it is run independent of the Church.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Medical Director​

blah-blah-blah

my mistake, I have my hearings mixed up.Bishops to attend on PCSO fund mess hearing

Bishops to attend on PCSO fund mess hearing - News - RadyoNatin.com

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
I see the fallacies in her reasoning, but this doesn't mean that she shouldn't be addressing the contraception issue to congress, from a womans point of view.

I mean only a few months ago congress was threatening to pull funding from Planned Parenthood, an organization that I, and many other women I know, rely on for so much more than just birth control.

She also included examples of how women she knew didn't use pills for birth control, but rather to make an illness manageable. Should a catholic school ignore those women in an attempt to stop behavior they disapprove of?

It seems to me that no one is looking for a happy medium. The school says they can't provide birth control for any of the women on their campus, the young woman says the school ought to provide for all the women on campus. Couldn't a reasonable compromise come into play, in which women who have severe illnesses of the uterus and ovaries be compensated or given birth control?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

americanwoman

Mar 2, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
As a American female, I am very grateful for Sandra's message. I was once a 21-year-old full-time college student and on the weekends I worked as waitress to pay my rent and bills. I remember the devastation and fear I felt when the pharmacist told me my health insurance wouldn't cover my birth control. I struggled to pay $30 a month for my generic prescription. I hope no other girl ever feels that again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

99percentatheism

Jul 8, 2011
✟1,693.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Only witness called huh? Can anyone pronounce O-R-C-H-E-S-T-R-A-T-E-D?

Yeah, this little ____ has the little poor-pitiful-me voice crack going on perfectly.

This is going to backfire on Obama's minions and the Americans that still value morality will rise to kick these Neo-Sodomites to the curb.

Upvote 0

99percentatheism

Jul 8, 2011
✟1,693.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anyone heard what Limbaugh has said about Sandra? Wonder if this is what GOP types really think, I hope not.

Any morally sound set of parents would agree with Rush about what kind of person this young woman is. And she's nothing to be proud of.

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Any morally sound set of parents would agree with Rush about what kind of person this young woman is. And she's nothing to be proud of.
Sorry about that 99, (also said by agent 86), I can't agree with you on that one. I imagine having a daughter in Georgetown Law School is a blessing come true for mom and dad, and I expect they have known about Sandra's use of contraception for some time,(at least mom has).

Upvote 0

Edufacts

Mar 2, 2012
OH, USA
✟131.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
How many of the posters on this thread have actually read or listened to Sandra Fluke's testimony? She was explaining that contraceptives are used for medical purposes as well as for preventing birth and the health consequences of non-medical personnel deciding whether a student's medications should be paid for. She also noted that, in one instance, the woman who needed birth control was a new mother, married to her baby's father, and whose doctor told her she had to make sure she didn't get pregnant again soon because of her medical condition.

As for iwannabedesigirl's suggestion of a compromise, Ms Fluke noted that, in one case, the discussion of whether a woman should get contraceptives took so long that it might cause permanent sterility. Determination about a person's medical needs should be made by her medical doctor, not by an institution.

It seems that, in the discussions about this one type of medication, people are giving all the authority to institutions and not to individuals. Do we want to be put in a position of having authorities go over all of our prescriptions and determine which ones we "deserve" and which we don't?

Upvote 0