Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our post-salvation sanctification is a continuing process based on NOT doing something,...
It’s clear that our sanctification is ongoing and our choices in how we live are part of that process.

JOHN 17:17 Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth.

It’s all based on love, ....
And putting to death the deeds of the flesh:
“Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.” Rom 8:12-13

Literally just discuss this in Theology class last night! Chapter 44 of Sproul's Everyone's a Theologian. It's an excellent read.

There then is the question: Can we be fully sanctified in this life? The conclusion in class was "no", but that is from an anthropocentric view point. Eternally, the elect are eternally and have always been sanctified.

My thought too. Talk about overkill...

Good Day,

Snip: "When we speak of sanctification we generally think of it as that process by which the believer is gradually transformed in heart, mind, will, and conduct and conformed more and more to the will of God and to the image of Christ until at death the disembodied spirit is made perfect in holiness and at the resurrection his body likewise will be conformed to the likeness of the body of Christ’s glory. It is biblical to apply the term “sanctification” to this process of transformation and conformation. But it is a fact too frequently overlooked that in the New Testament the most characteristic terms used with reference to sanctification are used not of a process but of a once-for-all definitive act."

In Him,

Bill

Just so I understand this part of your post: 1. are you saying a believer can lose their salvation if they do works while engaging in sexual immorality? Believers can and will still sin occasionally after being saved. Or are you saying this because continuing in sexual sin indicates the person was not truly saved?

There are past, present, and future aspects of our salvation in that we have been saved from the penalty of our sins (Ephesians 2:8), we are being saved from continuing to live in sin (Philippians 2:12), and we will be saved from God's wrath on the day of the Lord (Romans 5:9-10). Likewise, we have been sanctified (Hebrews 10:10), we are being sanctified (Hebrews 10:14),

In context, '''.
SANCTIFIED through Christ once and for all. For by one offering HE hath PERFECTED FOREVER them that ARE SANCTIFIED. Whereof, of this that was just spoken of. This perfectness of the sanctified the HOLY GHOST ALSO TESTIFIES IN THAT HE SAYS BEFORE, "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them".

Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Heb 10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
SANCTIFIED through Christ once and for all. For by one offering HE hath PERFECTED FOREVER them that ARE SANCTIFIED. Whereof, of this that was just spoken of. This perfectness of the sanctified the HOLY GHOST ALSO TESTIFIES IN THAT HE SAYS BEFORE, "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them".

Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Can we be sanctified in Christ while not believing God's Word and being disobedient to what Gods' Word says? Are we inside or outside of Christ in unbelief and sin? Does God sanctify us in unbelief and sin?

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can we be sanctified in Christ while not believing God's Word and being disobedient to what Gods' Word says? Are we inside or outside of Christ in unbelief and sin? Does God sanctify us in unbelief and sin?
Let's take a look shall we?

Because of being sanctified by His blood and perfected by His Law in our hearts and minds we therefore have Boldness to enter into the holiest of all through the veil, that is to say His flesh. Let us hold fast this profession of our faith. That we are sanctified and perfected. Considering one another, provoking unto love, good works and exhorting one another as we see the day approaching. For, BECAUSE OF WHAT WAS JUST SHARED. IF WE ARE SINNING WILLFULLY after receiving the knowledge of us being SANCTIFIED through Christ's blood AND PERFECTED through the New Covenant there remains no more sacrifice for sin. ONLY a certain fearful looking forward to judgement and fiery indignation which shall devour the adversaries Those who are sinning willfully, trodding underfoot the Son of God, and counting the blood of the covenant in which we were sanctified an unholy thing and has done despite upon the Spirit of Grace.

Heb 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised.
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Heb 10:26 For if we are sinning wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Sanctification is a process. We achieve that holiness to the extent that we're perfected in love. If we sin at all, then we're still not "there". God's work in us is still ongoing.

• Agree
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sanctification is a process.
You quote from a post that shows something else. It says through God in Hebrews we are sanctified and perfected. If you think differently show IN HEBREWS where God says differently

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You quote from a post that shows something else. It says through God in Hebrews we are sanctified and perfected. If you think differently show IN HEBREWS where God says differently
I quoted from 1 John 4 if anything:
"God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him. In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love. We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:16-19

But as far as the process goes, there are more. Our walk with God is a journey as the ancient Church taught, not an all-at-once event, unless that's to be considered as an ideal.
"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life." Rom 6:22

"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live."
Rom 8:12-13

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I quoted from 1 John 4 if anything:
"God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him. In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love. We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:16-19

But as far as the process goes, there are more. Our walk with God is a journey as the ancient Church taught, not an all-at-once event, unless that's to be considered as an ideal.
"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life." Rom 6:22

"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live."
Rom 8:12-13
Hebrews! Not John, not Romans Hebrews

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.