Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ah the road of good intentions.

Criminals are rampant, so lets take away all the legal guns.:doh:

And this will prevent crime?

Guns don't kill people, criminals kill people.

They want to reduce crime, so they want to ban guns?
Why don't we ban criminals?^_^

Upvote 0

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the discussion that always happens. Gun Rights against Anti-gun activist.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am2

Amendment II - Right to bear arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The right of the people to keep and bear Arms.

That statement says it all.

But other than that if you take guns away from law abiding citizens the crime rate will only go up because the only ones who will have weapons will be police and criminals.

Bad Idea San Fran

-CW

Upvote 0

BlessedMan

Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
✟17,338.00
Faith
Christian
If they had a huge gun-sucking magnet that they could hang over the U.S. to get everybody's gun than I might begin to consider gun control. But the fact that the only people you're really affecting are the law-abiding citizens doesn't work for me.

P.S.-Why does every unusual story come out of San Francisco? I was there this summer and I came out okay! (no comments on that please! :D )

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm, obviously we can't ban all guns. The constitution was written to the national government but amendments and court decisions have extended the protection to states and local governments. Since other countries with guns have much fewer gun crimes, something else causes it. Something about American culture causes us to have a much higher rate of violent crimes. It isn't guns, other countries have them. It isn't "immoral culture," as some call it, because other countries are far more liberal in what they accept and have the same types of entertainment with sex and violence. I don't understand why America has this problem thta others don't.

Upvote 0

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

lucid42day

where do I go when the land touches sea
Apr 1, 2004
We'll stumble through the APT.
✟9,766.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
TheBear said:
That's a moderately terrible idea. I am open to considering some forms of firearm control, but not a one of that article's reasons were particularly convincing for banning personal weapons.

The thing that bugs me most about this is that people paid money for these firearms in the first place. I don't know what they cost, but they cost enough to make their uncompensated loss a crime, I'm sure. I could go either way with some forms of gun control, but I'm much more certain about theft.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
lucid42day said:
That's a moderately terrible idea. I am open to considering some forms of firearm control, but not a one of that article's reasons were particularly convincing for banning personal weapons.

The thing that bugs me most about this is that people paid money for these firearms in the first place. I don't know what they cost, but they cost enough to make their uncompensated loss a crime, I'm sure. I could go either way with some forms of gun control, but I'm much more certain about theft.

I agree.

There are over 20,000 firearms laws on the books now - helloooo? :scratch:

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Redneck said:
I wonder if anyone in the San Francisco government has heard of Washington D.C.? There's a model for them. ;)
Isn't DC the only area in the country with such breaches of liberty and freedom? Nobody in DC is allowed to own, transport, possess, buy or sell any handgun. Doesn't DC have the highest per-capita murder rate in the nation?

Hmmmm.....

Upvote 0
R

Redneck

charmtrap said:
This proposal is staggeringly stupid; even for that august body of chowderheads. Fortunately, the state has long had a law prohibiting local governments from regulating firearms.

Which statute is that?

TheBear said:
Isn't DC the only area in the country with such breaches of liberty and freedom? Nobody in DC is allowed to own, transport, possess, buy or sell any handgun. Doesn't DC have the highest per-capita murder rate in the nation?

Hmmmm.....

It makes you think, doesn't it.

The politicians are just trying to do a feel good thing instead of doing something that actually might make a difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

Redneck

gun1.jpeg

Sorry, I just had to...

Upvote 0

charmtrap

Iä-R’lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn
May 14, 2004
SF, CA
✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Redneck said:
Which statute is that?
Upon researching, I find that I am wrong. Local governments can impose tighter restrictions than the state, or close loopholes in state laws.

California - State law allows cities to enact local gun laws to regulate firearms that are stronger than state law or that fill loopholes in state law and many state laws began as city or county ordinances. But local governments are restricted in "licensing" or "registering" firearms.
Although that comes from the Brady people, so I'm not vouching for it's accuracy.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ca

Upvote 0