Same house ... new spouse. Would you do it?

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am having some difficulty with some weird feelings. I still own one of the houses I lived in with my ex-wife - it's in another state, rented out. I intend to retire from the Air Force in the very near future, and my gf and I will probably be married and moving back to the city my house is in at that time. I'm a little weirded out at the thought of living in that house again with someone else - it seems almost disrespectful to a new wife.

Would you live again in the same house, or sleep in the same bedroom?

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not comfortable with it. She's already said she wants to repaint the whole house, but even then she's very uncomfortable about sleeping in the same room unless we gut it and change the floor plan. The more and more I think about it, thr more I think it's going on the market as soon as the current tenant is out, but tax consequences may prevent that for a while.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not comfortable with it. She's already said she wants to repaint the whole house, but even then she's very uncomfortable about sleeping in the same room unless we gut it and change the floor plan. The more and more I think about it, thr more I think it's going on the market as soon as the current tenant is out, but tax consequences may prevent that for a while.
If she is so uncomfortable, then I feel that it would be a way to show her you cherish her by finding another home to live in together.

With home prices down everywhere now, maybe it would be a good opportunity to sell and find another place since the tax consequences would probably be less in this market (?). I don't know much about that though.

Upvote 0

dbhost

Jan 9, 2007
League City, Texas
✟15,702.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I bought my house little more than a year before my ex walked out and left me upside down with it. The wife God has blessed me with now is not only very understanding, but appreciative of the home, and it is HER house. Now mind you, almost nothing is the way it was when my ex was around. New paint, flooring going on, decorated top to bottom etc...

I would talk the issue over extensively with your bride to be, and make sure she is good with it. Houses are awfully expensive, and you don't want her in a house she hates because of its history...

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Doing something that could hurt you financially for emotional reasons wouldn't be good, would it? Keeping it as rental property until it's more feasible to sell shouldn't count against you should you consider buying something else in the same town. Look at it as an investment and focus on the good that can come from the pain it holds for you when it's sold. The profits from doing that at the right time could help the two of you acquire your dream home in the future.

Upvote 0

dorig59

Senior Veteran
May 18, 2008
Missouri
✟18,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am having some difficulty with some weird feelings. I still own one of the houses I lived in with my ex-wife - it's in another state, rented out. I intend to retire from the Air Force in the very near future, and my gf and I will probably be married and moving back to the city my house is in at that time. I'm a little weirded out at the thought of living in that house again with someone else - it seems almost disrespectful to a new wife.

Would you live again in the same house, or sleep in the same bedroom?

Well, what does your girlfriend think about it? I'd say it should be up to her, really. It's a bit weird to my way of thinking, but sometimes you have to be practical....just for a little while. I don't know, let her decide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

janman345

Jun 15, 2010
✟1,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you do enough remodeling its not a big deal, money is tight in this economy and flipping a house over for thoes kinds of reasons is very expensive and may not even be possible in this economy.

I have the same house that I had with an ex wife and have a new wife, it was convient that the old appliaces were like almost 30 years old so I just gutted the kitchen and one of the bathrooms planted new grass rearranged furnature, threw out numerous contractor bags of random crap.

Upvote 0