Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it just by believing Jesus that we are saved and then we do our best to follow the Commandments, because God wills that you follow them?

Or do we have to believe in Jesus and follow all of God's commandments in order to be saved?

Also I read that God does not hear the prayers of sinners (those who don't follow all that He Commands) , but that Jesus came to save sinners. Should I be praying to Jesus then? Or since He is God the Son, He wouldn't hear me either?

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it just by believing Jesus that we are saved and then we do our best to follow the Commandments, because God wills that you follow them?

Or do we have to believe in Jesus and follow all of God's commandments in order to be saved?

Also I read that God does not hear the prayers of sinners (those who don't follow all that He Commands) , but that Jesus came to save sinners. Should I be praying to Jesus then? Or since He is God the Son, He wouldn't hear me either?

1. repent/have a change of heart, be baptized, accept the gift of the holy spirit and seek it

now commandments/lifestyles of a christian doesn't' save you but it's a part of the sanctification process so worry about that later. Also when I say commandments i'm not referencing the Torra I mean NT christian commandments/ways such as love thy neighbors.

2. When God says he doesn't hear the prayers of the sinners he's referring to a typical prayer by a sinner which is "God I need this" or "God I want this". He doesn't mean that he wouldn't hear a sinner but in the bible where such statements are made it's referring to a prayer usually someone who's in sin and isn't looking to deal with it makes.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's not the 2nd, and it's closer to the first, but there is only one way we are able to bear real fruit (go from imperfect to gradually less imperfect, getting gradually better) -- because we remain in Him, abiding in Him -- reading His words that He spoke, taking them into your heart by truly listening to them. (John chapter 3). And this is relying on Him, and thus progressing --

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other." (John chapter 15)

It helps to have read John chapter 14 of course, and truly I can tell you, this all makes more and more sense as you read from the beginning of the Gospel of John, which is the richest food, and what we need.

Prayer -- Christ taught on prayer in several places in the Gospels, and one will want to learn them all. A good place to start is Matthew chapter 6, and do it all, every bit, as He says, and then seek to learn more of what He taught about how to pray, such as "When you pray, believe..." (Mark ch 11) and other things He taught that are key.

You can find many things He taught on prayer, and if you are doing key things like believing and praying as He said, your prayers will be answered.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We are saved because we trust, have faith in what Jesus has done for us. It is a free gift, that we cannot pay for.

But we show our love for Jesus by obeying him, loving others as he loves us and a large part of that is obeying the 10 commandments.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Pharisees said: "God does not hear the prays of a sinner", but Jesus did not say that. Look at Jesus' parables to find God answering sinner's prayers.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are saved because we trust, have faith in what Jesus has done for us. It is a free gift, that we cannot pay for.

But we show our love for Jesus by obeying him, loving others as he loves us and a large part of that is obeying the 10 commandments.
We do good stuff out of gratitude for what God/Christ has done for us, we have been given everything already so there is no more to get (we have the birthright to heaven and are not there yet).

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
we have been given everything already so there is no more to get (we have the birthright to heaven and are not there yet).
Yes there is nothing we can add to our salvation, but there are also hints that faithful servants will gain a reward and certainly whie serving Jesus we can experience more of him.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes there is nothing we can add to our salvation, but there are also hints that faithful servants will gain a reward and certainly whie serving Jesus we can experience more of him.
Yes our Love can grow, but think about this for a moment: In heaven Paul the apostle has a greater "Love" than you do so Paul Loves you more than you can Love Paul back, so who is the winner and loser?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes our Love can grow, but think about this for a moment: In heaven Paul the apostle has a greater "Love" than you do so Paul Loves you more than you can Love Paul back, so who is the winner and loser?
Fortunetly we don't get to decide who hears, 'Well Done, Good and Faithful servant.'

It's not a case of winners and lossers, but a question of how we are honoured for our service by God, remember what Jesus said, 'The first will be last etc'

We don't know what will gain a reward, we have to serve as best we can for the honour and glory of God.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fortunetly we don't get to decide who hears, 'Well Done, Good and Faithful servant.'

It's not a case of winners and lossers, but a question of how we are honoured for our service by God, remember what Jesus said, 'The first will be last etc'

We don't know what will gain a reward, we have to serve as best we can for the honour and glory of God.
How much "honor" is there in just allowing the Spirit to do just a little through us when He could have done so much more if we had allowed Him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How much "honor" is there in just allowing the Spirit to do just a little through us when He could have done so much more if we had allowed Him?
That is something we will learn when we meet Jesus.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We must exercise our faith-by picking up our own cross and following Jesus. This involves a relationship whereby He and the Father and the Holy Spirit come to indwell us, living God's life in us as we're transformed into His image. "Apart from Me you can do nothing" John 15:5. "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matt 19:26

This is a complete package: being justified in God's eyes is to not only be forgiven of sin but also to become just, or righteousness, by grace, so that sin is actually overcome in us. The commandments that we're truly bound to obey and be judged by are the Greatest Commandments, to love God with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and our neighbor as ourselves. Without this, and the righteous behavior that flows naturally from it, justice and righteousness are merely pretty words, because nothing has really changed in us.

"Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." Rom 13:8-10

This all begins with faith, as a response to grace; this is what faith is intended to lead to.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And even much more clear is "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

And very clear also His Words to us about taking care of each other (Matthew 25), when our fellows believers around us have real needs and that if we don't care about them with actions He lists --

45“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Which leaves no room for any other viewpoint. You can try to work it all together, but there are just flat requirements. Of course we all fall short, but the point as best I can tell is whether a person does *something instead of nothing*, not whether they can try to meet all needs everywhere (impossible), but whether they can respond to the person right in front of them, like the Good Samaritan. In other words, put in other words, are we listening to Him when He commands us to "love one another", or do we try to somehow omit that?

Grace won't save us from ignoring Christ.

So, it's not an either/or, but a both/and.

We are saved only by grace through faith and we must then follow Him, no matter how imperfect we are at any moment.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If just following commandments was how a religious person gets saved, then there would would really be no need for Christ. We could all be incorporated into Judaism and follow commandments for the rest of our lives in hopes to be saved.
The New Testament teaches that first and foremost one must be born again spiritually by the Holy Spirit in order that we may be permanently saved through regeneration. After which, following daily New Testament commandments become reflex. The ceremonial commandments have to be studied but they are secondary (compared to the Law of Moses) and have no bearing on Salvation.
When Jesus was preaching in Judea, He very often referred to obedience to His commandments to garner God's favor at the Judgment. He said these things to an audience that followed commandments as a way of life and were totally unaware of Spiritual regeneration that would come at Pentecost 33 A. D.

Upvote 0