• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Salvation is through faith alone.

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by justbyfaith, Oct 10, 2018 at 4:12 PM.

1. justbyfaith

justbyfaith justified sinner

+551
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+786
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Salivation is by grace alone through faith that is not alone

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Reformed Catholic, Puritan

+3,438
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    It is more correct to say that justification is through faith alone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,121
    Anglican
    Married
    Of course, it isn't alone in an absolute sense. All sorts of things probably can be said to accompany a lively or sincere faith. The slogan (Sola Fide) simply means that it alone is the mechanism by which individuals are saved.

5. TheLostCoin

TheLostCoin Lord Jesus Christ, Have Mercy on Me a Sinner.

+58
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Why isn't the Devil saved? Surely he believes in God, and knows God will be victorious (from Revelation, "for he knows he has but a short time,") and he knows the Holy Scripture, as showcased in Christ's Temptation in the Desert.

What makes you different than Satan?

6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,121
    Anglican
    Married
    As the Bible says, even the demons believe. What they don't have is Faith.

7. TheLostCoin

TheLostCoin Lord Jesus Christ, Have Mercy on Me a Sinner.

+58
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    What's the difference between belief in the True Gospel, and Faith?
    You could say it's Grace, but what makes the Devil Graceless if works are irrelevant?

8. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+786
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    And I do not agree with any of the solas

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Well-Known Member

+542
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Is a person justified by faith or regeneration?

10. David Cabrera

+542
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Is a person justified by faith or regeneration?

11. Chris V++

Chris V++ Free in Christ Supporter

+161
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The Bible defines Faith as Hebrews 1:11
    Hebrews 11:1: "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."
    KJ 'Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'

Is faith the same as belief?
    Can the demons have faith having seen? I don't know the answer I"m just putting out the Bible definition.
    When David took on Goliath he was super confident God would deliver him. Maybe that is an aspect of faith? Jesus talked of having the faith of a mustard seed. Maybe faith too includes us acknowledging we are loved. Don't think the demons care about the love.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 5:58 PM
  12. redleghunter

redleghunter 1/23000 Viking Royalty. Redleg the Conqueror! Supporter

+19,478
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Why do you ask?

13. redleghunter

redleghunter 1/23000 Viking Royalty. Redleg the Conqueror! Supporter

+19,478
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Solus Christus?

14. Karola

Karola Member

+32
    Germany
    Christian
    Widowed
    Is satan trusting in the shed blood of Christ to attain to heaven?

15. concretecamper

concretecamper Member of His Church

+1,057
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    This explanation is a rebranded definition....after it became clear that most protestants rejected the original definition which meant that actions didnt matter.

16. David Cabrera

+542
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Because if the person is justified by regeneration, then it is not by faith alone.

17. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Senior Member Supporter

+34,912
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hi David, the Bible tells us that we are "justified by faith" (e.g. Romans 3:28, 5:1) from the moment we first believe/come to saving faith in Christ .. cf John 5:24, when God "declares" us just.

Regeneration is not a legal declaration like justification is. Rather, it involves the changes that God makes in us when He quickens our hearts/causes us to be born again/makes us spiritually alive so that we can finally hear and believe .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3, 5:24; Ephesians 2:1-5. We are able to believe and be saved ~because~ of God's enabling grace, not in spite of it, therefore regeneration necessarily precedes both faith and justification.

Yours and His,
    David

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,121
    Anglican
    Married
    Belief is knowing what's what. The demons know who God is, as was said before.

Faith is trusting and accepting Christ as one's Lord and Savior, a bond, a commitment.

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,121
    Anglican
    Married
    Now THAT is a creative way to say "I don't agree." LOL

No, Sola Fide never meant that actions don't matter. Not at all.

20. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Senior Member Supporter

+34,912
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hi Tutorman, Sola Gratia is one of the 5 Solas. Sola Gratia means "salvation is by grace alone".

In case you are interested, here's a short/interesting look at the paradox of the 5 Solas, and what they are really all about as well.

The Soul of the Solas
    by R.C. Sproul Jr.

It puzzles me deeply that so few are puzzled deeply by the paradox. We are so used to the befuddling language that we miss its befuddling nature. It ought to stop us in our tracks and arrest our attention, like those signs I see for Fifth Third Bank. Fifth Bank I could understand. Third Bank I could understand. I could understand them merging to become Fourth Bank. But Fifth Third Bank? What does that even mean?

In like manner, how is it that when our spiritual ancestors, our theological heroes, set out to tell us one thing, they ended up telling us five things? Suppose I had lived in a cave for the last five hundred years and then met someone who wanted to get me up to speed on the Reformation and what I should believe. What if they said: “There are five things. The first one is sola…”? Would I not have to say: “Stop right there. If there are five, how can even one of them be called sola?”

It does, of course, in the end make perfect sense. The alones are not alone because they are talking, in a manner of speaking, on different wavelengths. An infinite line is really infinite, but it doesn’t cover everything. An infinite plane is, in a manner of speaking, even more infinite than an infinite line, but it doesn’t cover everything. What sola Scriptura is seeking to keep out isn’t grace, faith, Christ, or God’s glory. It’s trying to keep out unbiblical tradition. Grace alone doesn’t exclude the Bible, faith, Christ, or the glory of God.

In a very real sense, though they spin on different axes, these five are one. The Bible alone is God’s infallible revelation of His glory, which reveals His grace in Christ, which becomes ours through the gift of faith. God’s grace is uniquely revealed in His Word, which reveals the work of Christ, which becomes ours by faith, all redounding to His glory. The solas are precise and potent affirmations of this truth—it’s all about God. They remind us not just how we might have peace with God but that peace with God is not the full and final end of all things. They remind us that the story of the Bible isn’t simply how we who are in dire straits can make it to safety and how nice God is to play such an important role in making that happen. Instead, they remind us that He is the end, and we are the means. The story is about Him and His glory more than us and our comfort.

Jesus makes much the same point in the Sermon on the Mount. He recognizes our weaknesses. We are self-centered, concerned with ourselves and what we perceive our needs to be. So, we worry about what we will eat and what we will wear. We fret about our provision and our status. What Jesus doesn’t tell us, however, is: “Now, look, you have no need to worry about these things because you have someone on your side. Other people might need to worry, but you don’t because my Father in heaven is for you. You can pursue these things with confidence, knowing that you have the supreme advantage of having the supreme being on your side.”

What He tells us instead is surprising. He tells us to set aside our petty concerns and, depending on how you look at it, to set our minds on one or two things. He said, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.” Do we now have seven solas? Ought we to add the kingdom and His righteousness to the alones? By no means. These are all still together the one thing. There is an organic unity not only between the kingdom and the righteousness but between these two solas and the five solas of the Reformation. We are not failing to pursue the kingdom of God when we are seeking after His righteousness. We are not failing to pursue His righteousness when we are seeking after His kingdom. We are pursuing one thing— one way—to honor and serve our Maker and Redeemer by affirming our dependence on Him and His preeminence in all things.

The God we serve is one. As such, He calls us to follow one path. His commands are never and can never be pitted against each other. His wisdom is never and can never be pitted against itself. His grace is never and can never be pit ted against His character. When we find ourselves torn, confused, pulled in different directions, it isn’t because we are faithfully following Him but because we are not. It isn’t because we are faithfully heeding His voice but because we are not.​

The two—His kingdom and His righteousness—are one as the five— the solas of the Reformation—are one as the Three—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—are One. And these three groupings are one as well. In the end, they are all about the beginning. From the beginning they have always been about the end. For our lives are and always will be bound up together in the Alpha and the Omega.​

--David

Sola Fide
    Sola Gratia
    Sola Scriptura
    Solus Christus
    Soli Deo Gloria

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 11:35 PM