SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not change anything. Ongoing sanctification is the 2nd tense of salvation, which is a process, unlike the 1st tense of salvation, justification which is not a process. People who stress that salvation "in general" (including justification) is a process usually end up teaching that salvation is either obtained by works or maintained by works or both.

The text is referring to ongoing sanctification, (2nd tense of salvation) hence, "work out" your salvation, so I am simply interpreting the text and not changing the text.

I'm not really concerned with where you think people usually end up. As I've said, I only care about what the Text says. No need for you to speculate as it should be pretty clear by now what I see the Text telling us.

Just the fact that you think you have to add "sanctification" as an explanation shows a problem. Do you agree that the Phil2:12 Text says "salvation"? And that we are commanded to work to accomplish our "salvation"? Don't change the word. See what you end up with - exactly what I said you end up with - we accomplish our salvation by collaboratively working with God working in us. You're hedging to protect a soteriological system.

By the way, is "sanctification" ever used for what I'm referring to as "Initial Salvation" (your "Justification")?

I'm sorry, but you lost me. Not sure why you are making this complicated. We have been saved from the PENALTY of sin (justification) we are being saved from the POWER of sin (ongoing sanctification) we will be saved from the PRESENCE of sin (glorification).

Sorry, I thought the question was simple. To me it's not a complicated question. I'm going to use #1,2,3 for your above stated 3 tenses. 1-3 I'm just going to label God's Salvation Plan:

When Eph2:5 says "By grace you have been saved" - is it referring to 1, 2, 3, 1-3, or ???

Same question re: Eph2:8.

It sounds like you basically agree with the Amplified Bible.

The last part of it you highlighted, guardedly, yes.

It's first sentence has way too much added theological terminology. Did you note it translates the perfect paraphrastic with a present emphasis? Did you notice how it has interpreted what "saved" refers to - do you agree with this?

You didn't respond to where I wrote quite a bit to give you a general overall view of the way I see salvation, faith/obedience & works. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I've said, I only care about what the Text says. No need for you to speculate as it should be pretty clear by now what I see the Text telling us.
You only care about what the text says, but not about what it really means.

Just the fact that you think you have to add "sanctification" as an explanation shows a problem.
The fact that you cannot see that Philippians 2:12 is about working out the salvation that we already have and is in regards to ongoing sanctification and not working for our salvation in regards to maintaining it by works shows a problem.

Do you agree that the Phil2:12 Text says "salvation"? And that we are commanded to work to accomplish our "salvation"?
We don't work to accomplish our salvation by works. That is working for our salvation instead of working out our salvation and is not what the text is saying, but it's how works-salvationists commonly interpret it.

Don't change the word. See what you end up with - exactly what I said you end up with - we accomplish our salvation by collaboratively working with God working in us. You're hedging to protect a soteriological system.
I didn't change the word and there are 3 tenses to salvation: 1. Justification 2. Sanctification 3. Glorification. Depending on how the word "salvation" is used in context, it may refer to either of the 3 tenses. While justification is a legal declaration that is instantaneous, ongoing sanctification is a process. It sounds to me like you're hedging to protect a biased doctrine, namely, salvation by works.

By the way, is "sanctification" ever used for what I'm referring to as "Initial Salvation" (your "Justification")?
Justification is not sanctification.

Sorry, I thought the question was simple. To me it's not a complicated question. I'm going to use #1,2,3 for your above stated 3 tenses. 1-3 I'm just going to label God's Salvation Plan:

When Eph2:5 says "By grace you have been saved" - is it referring to 1, 2, 3, 1-3, or ???

Same question re: Eph2:8.

The last part of it you highlighted, guardedly, yes.

It's first sentence has way too much added theological terminology. Did you note it translates the perfect paraphrastic with a present emphasis? Did you notice how it has interpreted what "saved" refers to - do you agree with this?
Ephesians 2:5 and 2:8 are referring to salvation in the first tense, justification. As I already explained, we "have been saved" - perfect tense - past completed action (the moment we place our faith in Christ for salvation). The perfect tense both describes past, definite tense as well as present tense with current implications.

You didn't respond to where I wrote quite a bit to give you a general overall view of the way I see salvation, faith/obedience & works. Any thoughts?
All I saw was more of the same confusion from your others posts with the same implication that we are saved by faith and works. You and I just don't fully agree and will most likely never come to a complete agreement. Good day sir.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You only care about what the text says, but not about what it really means.

Quite a creative charge. Empty but creative, and the type of fallback when one has no meaningful input left.

The fact that you cannot see that Philippians 2:12 is about working out the salvation that we already have and is in regards to ongoing sanctification and not working for our salvation in regards to maintaining it by works shows a problem.

Another empty charge. If you could understand what I've written, you'd see that I clearly placed Phil2 into that part of our SALVATION, that you strive so hard to call sanctification instead of salvation. It's truly a blindness that you cannot see that we are clearly commanded to work with God to accomplish our salvation that, as you say, we already have [been given].

I've clearly stated that Salvation/Justification (which I'm wording for your benefit for now) is by Faith/Obedience w/o works on our part - of God the gift.

Then I've clearly stated that in abiding Faith/Obedience we do work with God as commanded to accomplish our [gifted] Salvation in the Salvation/Sanctification part of the process.

Both are called Salvation in the Text. It's you who does not understand Biblical Salvation and is changing the Text to suit your meaning. This is called eisegesis.

We don't work to accomplish our salvation by works. That is working for our salvation instead of working out our salvation and is not what the text is saying, but it's how works-salvationists commonly interpret it.

Answered above.

I didn't change the word and there are 3 tenses to salvation: 1. Justification 2. Sanctification 3. Glorification. Depending on how the word "salvation" is used in context, it may refer to either of the 3 tenses. While justification is a legal declaration that is instantaneous, ongoing sanctification is a process. It sounds to me like you're hedging to protect a biased doctrine, namely, salvation by works.

You're hearing what you want to hear. Actually, 3 tenses would be better described as: saved; being saved, will be saved, which is the way the Text speaks about Salvation. The 3 terms you're using are things that happen within God's Salvation Plan, but none of them mean Salvation.

God has done all the work to put His Salvation Plan - in all 3 tenses - into place for us. As a gift by His grace, God does the work to bring us to & grant us into His Salvation Plan through Faith/Obedience (we're "saved"). In Christ in Faith/Obedience we work with God & fellow believers under God's grace to accomplish our Salvation (we're being saved), until we're done here & God resurrects us (we will be saved). We don't have to use justification, sanctification & glorification to explain the 3 tenses of salvation.

The reason I asked you about the use of sanctification to replace salvation (being saved) is to see if you would research how the word is used in our Text. How do you read these verses - what tense of salvation are they speaking of?:

NKJ 1 Corinthians 1:2 To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified (perfect tense - have been in the past & currently are) in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

NKJ 1 Cor 6:11
And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified (aorist tense), but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

NKJ Hebrews 10:10 By that will we have been sanctified (perfect tense) through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

NKJ Hebrews 10:29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified (aorist tense) a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Although our Text does speak of our "being sanctified," to relegate sanctification to this tense only, is artificial & inaccurate. The fact is that we were saved & we were sanctified, and we are being saved & being sanctified. All is of God in Christ & is His gift. But the fact is that we in Christ work with God operating in us to complete/accomplish the Salvation we've been gifted.

Justification is not sanctification.

Yes, they are 2 separate words with different meanings. But we were justified (deemed righteous), were sanctified (set apart), were saved (delivered, freed, rescued, etc.) (and other things like redeemed/ransomed, etc.) so the fact is that they all took place in us in the past, and setting aside more discussion on justification for now, we abiding believers are being saved & sanctified.

Now, what you're attempting to do is tell me that we were justified and now we're being sanctified, so they both did not happen in our past. But, you are clearly & Scripturally wrong, or at least not completely accurate with Scripture. Furthermore, not only is there a past & present tense to sanctification, but there is also a future sense to it as well.

You have allowed your thinking to be built with a theological construct that pushes a soteriological explanation that is not Textually precise. The fact is that we were saved, we are being saved, we will be saved - 3 tenses just like you said.

We did no work to create or implement God's Salvation Plan. We did no work (other than possibly some work to receive His gift per John6:27) to be saved by His Grace. In Christ & under Grace, we work with Him to complete our salvation until He removes us & resurrects us in to eternity.

You have not shown me anything to refute this. So, we'll look at what you've answered re: at least Eph 2:

Ephesians 2:5 and 2:8 are referring to salvation in the first tense, justification. As I already explained, we "have been saved" - perfect tense - past completed action (the moment we place our faith in Christ for salvation). The perfect tense both describes past, definite tense as well as present tense with current implications.

I'm not in full agreement, but this is good enough for now. We can refine it if & when we get there.

If this is speaking of having been saved in the past - justification as you say - and we're told that it is not by our work, then is it correct to transfer this no work into our being saved ("sanctified" for your benefit for now) & negate the work we're commanded to do in Phil2:12 to accomplish our salvation? Why do you transfer no work in "were saved" into no work in "being saved" - by what Scripture do you negate God's command in Phil2?

All I saw was more of the same confusion from your others posts with the same implication that we are saved by faith and works. You and I just don't fully agree and will most likely never come to a complete agreement. Good day sir.

Par for the course Daniel. It's hard to let the Text refine what we've been indoctrinated with. I studied under thousands of hours of teachings in what looks to be what you were taught. Then I was forced by work mainly in Greek to unlearn over several years & thousands of more hours much that I'd been taught and had been loyal to. These camp loyalties are just another part of our divisiveness.

Jettison the artificial theological constructs you've been taught & read the Text. Cease using perceived meanings to change what His Word clearly says. Salvation in 3 tenses is Salvation in 3 tenses. The 3 tenses denote a process within God's Salvation Plan: Through God's work, we were saved when we believed in Jesus Christ as commanded by God - we were justified/declared righteous; We are being saved in abiding Faith-Obedience to God - we are being taught & trained both to will and to do His righteousness as we work with God working in us, and with fellow-believers tasked by & working with God to help us; We will be saved when God resurrects us into eternity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freed Man

Jul 8, 2020
Colorado
✟18,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If getting to heaven was as easy as that then I think the Christian martyrs throughout history would be turning in their graves.
Why would they be turning over in their graves? It doesn't make sense. The martyrs were just as easily saved by grace through faith as anybody else.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Why would they be turning over in their graves? It doesn't make sense. The martyrs were just as easily saved by grace through faith as anybody else.
I don't think the early martyrs would have understood the word "faith" as cosily and comfortably as we do today. They took Jesus's words "take up your cross and follow me" quite literally and held onto their faith as if their salvation depended upon it. For example, St Ignatius had the choice of renouncing his faith or being torn to shreds by lions. Faced with that choice, he chose to surrender his life for the sake of the Lord. He was willing to give up everything, even life itself, for the sake of Christ.

Upvote 0