Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have a lot of anxiety and fear about not being saved but don't know how to be saved. I have been afraid of the unpardonable sin (Matthew 12, Mark 3, Luke 12), the mark of the beast (Revelation I don't know what even the number six by itself sets off impulsive thoughts), apostasy and wilful sin/leaving the faith for itching ears (Hebrews 6, Hebrews 10, mentioned in 2 Timothy and 2 Peter I think I do not know where). Also Matthew 7:21 (?) makes me nervous that not all faith and not everyone who calls Lord will be saved. Proverbs 1 also causes anxiety, and the scriptures about, "These people honour me with their lips but their hearts are far from me." How can I overcome the fear, and "confirm my calling and election" and be saved and gain assurance?

Edit: Grammar mistake.

Last edited:

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would teach the doctrine of the Spirit filled life in seven methods in metaphor to the old Hebrew Temple...

1. The Outer Court - Justification - Faith to enter in.
2. The Altar - Salvation through the cross at Calvary.
3. The Laver - "Sanctification makes us pure in heart" - William Seymour
4. Table of Showbread – Partaking of the Word of God.
5. Light at the Lightstand - Faith, hope, charity, joy, grace, spiritual fruit, etc.
6. The Golden Incense Altar - Prayer and Praise meetings.
7. The Holy of Holies - The Shekinah Glory and Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

The first step is to build your faith. There is nothing else wrong with you, you simply need to build your faith. Christ Jesus said that faith starts out small, like a grain of mustard seed, and then becomes big.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have a lot of anxiety and fear about not being saved but don't know how to be saved. I have been afraid of the unpardonable sin (Matthew 12, Mark 3, Luke 12), the mark of the beast (Revelation I don't know what even the number six by itself sets off impulsive thoughts), apostasy and wilful sin/leaving the faith for itching ears (Hebrews 6, Hebrews 10, mentioned in 2 Timothy and 2 Peter I think I do not know where). Also Matthew 7:21 (?) makes me nervous that not all faith and not everyone who calls Lord will be saved. Proverbs 1 also causes anxiety, and the scriptures about, "These people honour me with their lips but their hearts are far from me." How can I overcome the fear, and "confirm my calling and election" and be saved and gain assurance.

Honestly the fact that you're so afraid about salvation is a reason to doubt Christianity (at least it's a reason I'm doubting). A system that intimidates or terrifies you into it doesn't seem loving. You shouldn't be afraid about losing salvation. That's harmful to think.

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a lot of anxiety and fear about not being saved but don't know how to be saved. I have been afraid of the unpardonable sin (Matthew 12, Mark 3, Luke 12), the mark of the beast (Revelation I don't know what even the number six by itself sets off impulsive thoughts), apostasy and wilful sin/leaving the faith for itching ears (Hebrews 6, Hebrews 10, mentioned in 2 Timothy and 2 Peter I think I do not know where). Also Matthew 7:21 (?) makes me nervous that not all faith and not everyone who calls Lord will be saved. Proverbs 1 also causes anxiety, and the scriptures about, "These people honour me with their lips but their hearts are far from me." How can I overcome the fear, and "confirm my calling and election" and be saved and gain assurance.

Recognize that you are dead in sin without God. I've learned that we have to give up sometimes. We have to give up hope in being saved by anything else than Christ himself. Confess to Jesus that you hate your sin and that you give it to Him and ask Him for mercy. Trust in Jesus.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
it all boils down to love.
Love for us is what motivated Jesus to want to save us from our sins. And we thank Him for doing so by showing we love him back.

Loving means listening to His words, trying to do what He asks of us, honoring Him with what we have, what we do, what we think, and how we act.

Likewise, dishonoring him means ignoring His words, deliberately not doing what He asks, withholding what we have, deliberately choosing to dishonor our bodies, etc.

Essentially showing either love for Jesus and His gift of salvation or showing anger, disdain, and hatred for Him are choices we make every day.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have the same anxieties. Fearing God is a GOOD thing. When you start to lose the fear of God is when you are in bad shape. I would say pray, pray, pray, pray about EVERY fear and anxiety you have. I go in prayer begging God to keep me from falling until the end daily... people who don't fear they won't be saved might be perishing themselves. I have this extreme fear of turning to God, my life being blessed, God baptizing me in His spirit, and then my heart turns cold and I turn away... so I pray against it constantly because this IS a possibility. You sound like you are on the right track, although anxiety and fear are not of God. Just never give up, friend. Tell God exactly how you feel. He is a good, good father and listens.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Honestly the fact that you're so afraid about salvation is a reason to doubt Christianity (at least it's a reason I'm doubting). A system that intimidates or terrifies you into it doesn't seem loving. You shouldn't be afraid about losing salvation. That's harmful to think.

It's not a fear controlling organisation, however, salvation is extremely important. Like my driver's liscence, it makes me anxious when I misplace it, so I might be running around trying not to panic looking for that card. My salvation is much more important and is much more intense.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have the same anxieties. Fearing God is a GOOD thing. When you start to lose the fear of God is when you are in bad shape. I would say pray, pray, pray, pray about EVERY fear and anxiety you have. I go in prayer begging God to keep me from falling until the end daily... people who don't fear they won't be saved might be perishing themselves. I have this extreme fear of turning to God, my life being blessed, God baptizing me in His spirit, and then my heart turns cold and I turn away... so I pray against it constantly because this IS a possibility. You sound like you are on the right track, although anxiety and fear are not of God. Just never give up, friend. Tell God exactly how you feel. He is a good, good father and listens.

I am afraid of having already fallen away or never having been saved.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am afraid of having already fallen away or never having been saved.

Well I think your fear of it is a good thing, it shows you fear God. I would say keep pressing in to God no matter what and as you start to experience His peace, you know you are on the right track. God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
From one anxious person to another, I fear your fear. :)
How can we really help Deer Glow?
Your approach seems more a burden than a help to be honest. Our faith is meant to ease our mental health issues, not make them worse. It might come down to you choosing which one is more important for you I'm afraid. Or having a more relaxed view of God, the Bible and our salvation. I tend to emphasise God's mercy rather than His judgement. Who knows. I might be wrong too. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@DeerGlow I have expressed to you many many times that basis of salvation is your faith. Just the fact that you worry about being saved is proof you have not committed the unpardonable sin.

Jesus addressed that statement to the Pharisees and religious elite of his day, and look at their example, they could care less about Jesus or his message. You are not in the group, so first thing:

Stop doubting yourself.

Doubt will hinder you. It is like a self fulfilling prophecy. You worry about not being saved due to some action, and because of your worry you never truly come to Jesus to be saved, so in the end it is not your "unpardonable offense" that was never committed that keeps you from God's Kingdom, but your unbelief manifested through your doubt.

Your faith should be in Christ. He promised if you believe in him you will be saved. Let me ask you this:

Does Jesus lie?

If you answer no, then start believing in him. Not in your pastor, not in yourself, but in him. He will take the most wretched and vile person and make them Holy and redeemed. You are no where near the list of worst people ever, I don't even know you and I know that about you.

If your faith is in Jesus, and continues to be in Jesus you will be saved. Stop doubting. You will never grow out of infancy in Christ if you do not start believing in his promises.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
@DeerGlow I have expressed to you many many times that basis of salvation is your faith. Just the fact that you worry about being saved is proof you have not committed the unpardonable sin.

Jesus addressed that statement to the Pharisees and religious elite of his day, and look at their example, they could care less about Jesus or his message. You are not in the group, so first thing:

Stop doubting yourself.

Doubt will hinder you. It is like a self fulfilling prophecy. You worry about not being saved due to some action, and because of your worry you never truly come to Jesus to be saved, so in the end it is not your "unpardonable offense" that was never committed that keeps you from God's Kingdom, but your unbelief manifested through your doubt.

Your faith should be in Christ. He promised if you believe in him you will be saved. Let me ask you this:

Does Jesus lie?

If you answer no, then start believing in him. Not in your pastor, not in yourself, but in him. He will take the most wretched and vile person and make them Holy and redeemed. You are no where near the list of worst people ever, I don't even know you and I know that about you.

If your faith is in Jesus, and continues to be in Jesus you will be saved. Stop doubting. You will never grow out of infancy in Christ if you do not start believing in his promises.
No one rating to give you but I will think on your post, I think you have posted some good stuff. :)

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a lot of anxiety and fear about not being saved but don't know how to be saved. I have been afraid of the unpardonable sin (Matthew 12, Mark 3, Luke 12), the mark of the beast (Revelation I don't know what even the number six by itself sets off impulsive thoughts), apostasy and wilful sin/leaving the faith for itching ears (Hebrews 6, Hebrews 10, mentioned in 2 Timothy and 2 Peter I think I do not know where). Also Matthew 7:21 (?) makes me nervous that not all faith and not everyone who calls Lord will be saved. Proverbs 1 also causes anxiety, and the scriptures about, "These people honour me with their lips but their hearts are far from me." How can I overcome the fear, and "confirm my calling and election" and be saved and gain assurance?

Edit: Grammar mistake.
I've addressed your concerns many times. You have nothing to fear. You are saved. Give Him praise, not doubt!!! Copy and paste all of my responses to you. Don't pile the OT & Revelation on top of the Grace promised in the New. Don't let denominational differences in the many posts at CF confuse you!!

If you are taking prescription medication for OCD or some other mental malady, meet with your Medical Doctor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
DeerGlow, reading your post just now, I remembered this article I read a while ago that's a huge help in explaining What is the "Unforgivable Sin"? - Bible Gateway Blog (..."And how do I know I haven't committed it?")

Here's how it sums it up:

So if you’re an authentic Christian, don’t spend time fretting over whether you have accidentally committed this unforgivable offense. “There is no biblical evidence that a genuine Christian can commit this (unforgivable) sin,” says the Apologetics Study Bible. “Fear that one has done so is probably a good sign that one hasn’t, for full-fledged apostasy is a defiant rejection of everything Christian and lacks the tender conscience that would be worried about such an action.

You most certainly do not lack that "tender conscience" that would be worried about rejecting everything Christian — so you can let go of all these terrorising fears and rest easy! :glowingstar: Just get quiet, shut out all those dark thoughts for a moment and listen and let God show you just how much He loves you.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can and will overcome your doubts. Romans 10:8-13.
Correction: HE can and will...............

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dare I say, that your problem may be exacerbated by taking the Bible verses literally? Possibly. I try to see a positive spin on everything I read in the Bible. I certainly don't want more to worry about. :)

Well certainly some verses should not be taken literally, but you shouldn't change the meaning of scripture to make it fit our perception of what God wants to say. That was the issue the Israelites had at the end of their kingdom, they only read the positive parts of their covenant and not the warnings.

Certainly if we continue in faith we have nothing but joy and abundant life, but please do not change the meaning of scripture just to make it sound nice and fluffy

• Agree
Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well certainly some verses should not be taken literally, but you shouldn't change the meaning of scripture to make it fit our perception of what God wants to say. That was the issue the Israelites had at the end of their kingdom, they only read the positive parts of their covenant and not the warnings.

Certainly if we continue in faith we have nothing but joy and abundant life, but please do not change the meaning of scripture just to make it sound nice and fluffy
I was answering in the context of deer glow's anxiety though

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.