1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Safe place to explore an orthodox theology of Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by Carl Emerson, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+8,189
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    In what way???

2. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,290
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    "If you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic."

It's not for non-Anglicans to say what's orthodox in the Anglican forum.

3. Carl Emerson

+8,189
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Understood, I am happy if it is just members that respond to the question.

4. Carl Emerson

+8,189
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Maybe folks are on holiday?

Have I wrongly assumed that this is an orthodox forum?

5. Paidiske

+17,290
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    The Anglican forum is often quiet.

I guess maybe, Carl, you could respond to what people have already replied to you, and see if anyone else feels they'd like to comment?

6. Carl Emerson

+8,189
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Hi Paidiske

This is all useful information and sounding like good common sense.

Can you think of any documents I could refer to that might represent the orthodox position on the subject?

I am a learner on the block... is orthodoxy well defined and set in stone or evolving?

7. Paidiske

+17,290
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    You might look at the homily "On the Place and Time of Prayer." Anglican Library - Homilies, Book 2, Homily 8

Disclaimer that I have not read it recently and can't remember how well it lines up with your thoughts; I'm back at work today after some annual leave and a bit swamped here, so don't have time to do more just now.

8. Carl Emerson

+8,189
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for that... No stress... enjoy your holiday.

9. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Carl, as I re-read your post, I might offer one slight twist on your conclusion of, "This makes Sunday the obvious choice." I am not a theologian and offer only one Anglican voice from the pew (for whatever that's worth). For me, I can better align myself with the statement, "This makes Sunday an acceptable choice." There are enough folks that disapprove to negate the choice as obvious.

Jesus observed the Sabbath, but he also challenged the Pharisee's unyielding and strict interpretation of the law by healing on the Sabbath, walking about, and plucking and eating grain along the way, etc. In my life, my conclusion from that is (a) a Sabbath is to be kept and (b) the keeping of it (spirit) is more important than the day (law).

However, as I have said before I honor the tradition of the church. The Christian church has maintained Sunday as its primary day of worship for centuries, and that's good enough for me.

Just as important or maybe more so, I also think we have grown very lax in adherence to Sabbath as a required day of rest regardless of which day is observed. It is as if we go to services and check that box as if we have done all that is required of us. I personally think God required more than that.

I confess I would like to get back to something closer to the strict observance I grew up with in my parents' and grandparents' (non-Anglican) households. I've been trying to sort out if or how I can do that.

10. Carl Emerson

+8,189
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Good points thanks.

This then raises the issue of when the early church adopted Sunday observance. I have read conflicting claims about this.

Secondly regarding Sabbath observance it seems less critical if we have individually entered His rest as we read in Heb 3 and 4.