• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. She's going through a tough time at the moment with some difficult exams (which she may have failed) and a lot of turmoil over an ex-boyfriend who just cut her off, blocking her on social media and so on. Up until a couple of months ago, she could talk about these things with me freely, and just chatting about this and that seemed to help keep her positive. Now, though, she seems to have gone off the rails a bit, lost any interest in study. I feel desperately sad about it. This is a crucial time in her life, she's approaching her mid-20s and making big life decisions, but she seems to be out of control, not able to manage her emotions at all, and for some reason we don't connect anymore, I mean talking about things with me doesn't seem to be of any help in the way in was before.
I don't know if this is more about me or her. I feel so sad over seeing her just kind of lose it, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a friend who has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. She's going through a tough time at the moment with some difficult exams (which she may have failed) and a lot of turmoil over an ex-boyfriend who just cut her off, blocking her on social media and so on. Up until a couple of months ago, she could talk about these things with me freely, and just chatting about this and that seemed to help keep her positive. Now, though, she seems to have gone off the rails a bit, lost any interest in study. I feel desperately sad about it. This is a crucial time in her life, she's approaching her mid-20s and making big life decisions, but she seems to be out of control, not able to manage her emotions at all, and for some reason we don't connect anymore, I mean talking about things with me doesn't seem to be of any help in the way in was before.
I don't know if this is more about me or her. I feel so sad over seeing her just kind of lose it, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it.
I have found is situations like what you describe that I try too hard to solve the problem by suggesting what they could do, I have learned that it just tends to overload the person, what I have found that works best is just to be there and listen, let them do all the talking, ask non judgmental questions to help them talk it out.

• Useful
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have found is situations like what you describe that I try too hard to solve the problem by suggesting what they could do, I have learned that it just tends to overload the person, what I have found that works best is just to be there and listen, let them do all the talking, ask non judgmental questions to help them talk it out.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I pray for your friend to know the Lord and his salvation. Free from worry and concern.
I pray for her studies and her ability to focus.
I thank God that she has you to pray for her.
God bless you richly.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Pray for your friend. Sometimes God allows things to come into our lives that are outside of our control so we can go and ask him for help.

Upvote 0