• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

(SAD) How exactly does a christian overcome Social Anxiety Disorder?

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all, As you may have guessed I have SAD. I have scoured the internet searching for help with social anxiety and what I have discovered is that there are two kinds of biblical help offered.

1. non integrative counselling - Tries to deal with the issue purely from a biblical point of view, identifying the heart attitudes and beliefs underlying fear of others judgements and opinions. deals with repentance work of idolatry and unbelief.

2. Integrative counselling - Uses biblical truth and psychotherapy methods such as Cognitive behavioral therapy to change our thought processes and therefore our feelings, and also im assuming there is some renewal of the mind.

Non integrative therapists will tell you that CBT does not deal with the heart issues underlying insecurity and anxiety, and so to avoid such therapies. but I have been trying to dismantle my strongholds of social anxiety and insecurity using scripture for about 8 days now and I have seen no improvement in my anxiety. I have been praying more, meditating on scripture, and practicing thankfulness, and have been blessed with a high degree of peace and tranquility, but I find that when I enter social situations I am still incredibly anxious. this would suggest to me that the non integrative method is simply ineffective.

CBT however offers me very quick returns. it deals with the thoughts that cause my emotional distress and therefore helps me to feel better much quicker.

Given that SAD is the thirst most prevalent anxiety disorder in the USA. I am surprised that there is so little help for christians suffering from it. look for yourself, the resources out there really are scarce and most deal with CBT, but I dont want to do anything harmful to my spiritual health.

Guys, I need your wisdom and guidance as to how I can proceed to treat my SAD, without being drawn away from deepening my relationship with christ.

thank you

• Prayers
Reactions: LaSorcia

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What I'm thinking is that a therapist can't help unless he's a person who overcame it. I'll check to see if anyone here has overcome it. They say children are wet cement. If that's true, are adults hardened cement?

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Are you sure your "SAD" is a disorder?

If it is keeping you from a healthy relationship with God, then you may want to revisit the issue. If it is because of social norms, expectations and interactions, then maybe you should revisit yourself, and speak with your Father about whether or not what you think you have is something less of a blessing.

Not every human is good to be around, and all of us are just as capable as being agents for the enemy as we are being agents for God - (un)consciously. Many introverted persons don't realize that they are sensitive to "moods" and the "energy" people put out. (This is not new-age, this is reality.) Social anxiety, in my opinion, can be a powerful spiritual barometer.

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I'm thinking is that a therapist can't help unless he's a person who overcame it. I'll check to see if anyone here has overcome it. They say children are wet cement. If that's true, are adults hardened cement?

yes please, it would me massively beneficial to me to be connected with people who have had the disorder and have overcome it

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you sure your "SAD" is a disorder?

If it is keeping you from a healthy relationship with God, then you may want to revisit the issue. If it is because of social norms, expectations and interactions, then maybe you should revisit yourself, and speak with your Father about whether or not what you think you have is something less of a blessing.

Not every human is good to be around, and all of us are just as capable as being agents for the enemy as we are being agents for God - (un)consciously. Many introverted persons don't realize that they are sensitive to "moods" and the "energy" people put out. (This is not new-age, this is reality.) Social anxiety, in my opinion, can be a powerful spiritual barometer.

yes, social anxiety disorder is a disorder

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
yes, social anxiety disorder is a disorder

I am not sure if you understand the implication I was making.

We know that the APA will classify Social Anxiety Disorder as a "disorder," but that is calibrated against an extroverted, socially involved population. It isn't based on spirit.

So, of course the title of the alleged behavior has "disorder" in it, but it doesn't mean it is an actual disorder. It is only disordered because an introverted, reclusive and non-interacting person is not ordered behavior in the opinion of a person living in a socially liberal and extroverted society.

The anxiety comes from an inherent understanding that the world around you is extroverted, and social - and that you are not. That is why I asked if it is actually a disorder:

Does SAD interfere with your relationship with God, or people?
Do you think the prophets were socially liberal, and extroverted?

The allusion to the spirit, and SAD comes from the question posed: that things like depression, SAD, and the like may actually be blessings, since the world grows more and more wicked. What you call a disorder, or even anxiety, may actually be a God-given barometer of the spirit.

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure if you understand the implication I was making.

We know that the APA will classify Social Anxiety Disorder as a "disorder," but that is calibrated against an extroverted, socially involved population. It isn't based on spirit.

So, of course the title of the alleged behavior has "disorder" in it, but it doesn't mean it is an actual disorder. It is only disordered because an introverted, reclusive and non-interacting person is not ordered behavior in the opinion of a person living in a socially liberal and extroverted society.

The anxiety comes from an inherent understanding that the world around you is extroverted, and social - and that you are not. That is why I asked if it is actually a disorder:

Does SAD interfere with your relationship with God, or people?
Do you think the prophets were socially liberal, and extroverted?

The allusion to the spirit, and SAD comes from the question posed: that things like depression, SAD, and the like may actually be blessings, since the world grows more and more wicked. What you call a disorder, or even anxiety, may actually be a God-given barometer of the spirit.

I see your point, I live in a christian commune with a population of about 100 people, 50 of them between the ages of 18-24. most of them are extroverted. for me, someone who is socially anxious and an ambivert personality, this makes me feel defective for not being extrovert

that being said, My experience even in small group situations is one of constant fear of negative appraisal or judgement from others, self conciousness and what not. so there is real anxiety there. and my natural non anxious personality is actually rather outgoing and cheerful. and enjoys company. so my discomfort in social situations and withdrawal would indicate a genuine problem

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ben,
I read a good book titled Hope and Help for Your Nerves (Dr Claire Weekes). It was written about 50 years ago, before the prevalence of anxiety & depression meds. So it is primarily focused on long-term, non-pharmaceutical cures to anxiety (or what was referred to in that era as nervous illness). The book is essentially secular concepts, but Weekes does cite the vital help religious belief can provide in recovering from chronic anxiety. Used copies are inexpensive & easy to find online.

Personally I believe anxiety requires spiritual & basic, physical cures (like exercising, etc). The two remedies shouldn't be mutually exclusive for people trying to get well.. And I think most research confirms that non-drug therapies ultimately outlast & out-cure anxiety vs. just medicating.
Good Luck. Keep us posted..

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Given that SAD is the thirst most prevalent anxiety disorder in the USA. I am surprised that there is so little help for christians suffering from it. look for yourself, the resources out there really are scarce and most deal with CBT, but I dont want to do anything harmful to my spiritual health.
After reading the op,
it surprised me to see you live with a group of 100 Christians.

Well , sort of a surprise: before I got to that post, I was going to reply that
this (the quote above) may be very common in most churches. (don't know for sure)
But it fits with the way it seems most of them work, AND the way you yourself posted in the OP that you searched for help online.

Societally, it is so common a problem, but the answer is found in another way NOT normally approved of nor used by society --- the answer people really need and hopefully want is not what is usually offered in most places including churches.
In fact, what helps the most is often not available and may be forbidden or only available 'outside' the gates. (as Jesus says He Himself is outside the gates)

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I see your point, I live in a christian commune with a population of about 100 people, 50 of them between the ages of 18-24. most of them are extroverted. for me, someone who is socially anxious and an ambivert personality, this makes me feel defective for not being extrovert

that being said, My experience even in small group situations is one of constant fear of negative appraisal or judgement from others, self conciousness and what not. so there is real anxiety there. and my natural non anxious personality is actually rather outgoing and cheerful. and enjoys company. so my discomfort in social situations and withdrawal would indicate a genuine problem

Your social anxiety is most certainly genuine, but I would stop there. When I was in University, the stress of being social, judgment, and failure was rampant. It was like this well afterward. But, this anxiety comes from our investment in the people around us - and what they believe about us.

I am going to stop here unless you directly address me. This is a very close issue to me, and I know that suggestions offered can be frustrating (as if something was never tried before,) and cause one to go backward. God is your Father. Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all, As you may have guessed I have SAD. I have scoured the internet searching for help with social anxiety and what I have discovered is that there are two kinds of biblical help offered.

1. non integrative counselling - Tries to deal with the issue purely from a biblical point of view, identifying the heart attitudes and beliefs underlying fear of others judgements and opinions. deals with repentance work of idolatry and unbelief.

2. Integrative counselling - Uses biblical truth and psychotherapy methods such as Cognitive behavioral therapy to change our thought processes and therefore our feelings, and also im assuming there is some renewal of the mind.

Non integrative therapists will tell you that CBT does not deal with the heart issues underlying insecurity and anxiety, and so to avoid such therapies. but I have been trying to dismantle my strongholds of social anxiety and insecurity using scripture for about 8 days now and I have seen no improvement in my anxiety. I have been praying more, meditating on scripture, and practicing thankfulness, and have been blessed with a high degree of peace and tranquility, but I find that when I enter social situations I am still incredibly anxious. this would suggest to me that the non integrative method is simply ineffective.

CBT however offers me very quick returns. it deals with the thoughts that cause my emotional distress and therefore helps me to feel better much quicker.

Guys, I need your wisdom and guidance as to how I can proceed to treat my SAD, without being drawn away from deepening my relationship with christ.

thank you

Too bad you don't live in Arizona where I do. We actually have the only social anxiety institute in the world. Unfortunately it cost 3000. I met the Dr. Though. He was okay.... basically he does CBT with a whole group. I think I have sad or had it at one point. I want to do the program cause it's well I felt like it'd help me deal with people in society better. It's just so expensive and the other thing is I actually have a problem that really does make people laugh at me and it's not in my head so it's almost like how do you ignore something thats really happening lol. Anyway he does an online CBT version. Some of it seemed weird to me but it was helping me I think. It's like socialanxietyinstitute.org or something like that. You can try that along with prayer....

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Some of it seemed weird to me but it was helping me I think. You can try that along with prayer....

AngelEyes,
I find this is an important thought ^. It often require experimenting w/different cures, to effectively treat anxiety. Ben asked how to 'exactly' treat social anxiety.. But I don't think treatment is an exact science.. It's a subjective (trial & error) art form. Take care.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
CBT is the first line treatment option for Social Phobia in the UK.

As the NHS is publicly funded it has to use treatment options that have evidence to show they work.

That might help you make a decision.

All the best.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
These quotes aren't meant to be funny:

Quote Awkward.jpg
Quote Social Anxiety.png

Bible Words Romans 15_2.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums