Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I watched that video too a while back, he’s an Eastern Orthodox youtuber called David, he has some good content and he’s well versed in theological issues I must say. I personally find it odd that one would like to venerate a body part of Christ instead of or alongside of Christ as a whole. Most of these strange Roman Catholic venerations also have extremely weird back stories some of which are quite disturbing, such as Roman Catholic nuns claiming to have had encounters with Christ with sexual overtones.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It is certainly against the witness of the fathers, if we are to take the likes of HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic seriously (which we should). HH wrote the following concerning the proper worship of the incarnate God-man Jesus Christ (Ep. ad Adelph, paragraph 3; emphasis added):

We do not worship a created thing, but the Master of created things, the Word of God made flesh. Although the flesh itself, considered separately, is a part of created things, yet it has become the body of God. We do not worship this body after having separated it from the Word. Likewise, we do not separate the Word from the body when we wish to worship Him. But knowing that 'the Word was made flesh,' we recognise the Word existing in the flesh as God.​

So it would seem that any such devotion to the Body as a fleshly thing separated from the Divinity (as some would argue the focus on individual body parts necessitates) does violate this proper, Orthodox worship. We are never to vivisect Christ, you know?

As to whether or not it is Nestorian, that's a speculation I'm not willing or qualified to make. Just don't do it, period, and let academics fight over what it is.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is certainly against the witness of the fathers, if we are to take the likes of HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic seriously (which we should). HH wrote the following concerning the proper worship of the incarnate God-man Jesus Christ (Ep. ad Adelph, paragraph 3; emphasis added):

We do not worship a created thing, but the Master of created things, the Word of God made flesh. Although the flesh itself, considered separately, is a part of created things, yet it has become the body of God. We do not worship this body after having separated it from the Word. Likewise, we do not separate the Word from the body when we wish to worship Him. But knowing that 'the Word was made flesh,' we recognise the Word existing in the flesh as God.​

So it would seem that any such devotion to the Body as a fleshly thing separated from the Divinity (as some would argue the focus on individual body parts necessitates) does violate this proper, Orthodox worship. We are never to vivisect Christ, you know?

As to whether or not it is Nestorian, that's a speculation I'm not willing or qualified to make. Just don't do it, period, and let academics fight over what it is.
From which book did you get that quote from, is it from “On the Incarnation of the Word?” Just curious as I’ve seen it pop up before I think.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
From which book did you get that quote from, is it from “On the Incarnation of the Word?” Just curious as I’ve seen it pop up before I think.

No, it's from his epistle to Adelphius, which so far I have only found a complete version of in Greek, as it is part of Migne's Patrologia Graeca series (something like 160+ volumes of Greek works). Some helpful person over on Logos' community board put up links to the PDF's of all of HH's works collected by Migne, so you can find it there. Translation appears to be quite piecemeal, as it's easy to find that particular quote (say, here or here), as it bears much weight as to this particular question/practice, but not as easy to find the actual epistle in English. There are various collections of HH's epistles (I once owned one in Syriac, but lost it in my move to my current home), so it's no doubt in one or maybe many of these, but I have yet to find it online in English, only excerpts. Perhaps someone here will know where to find it in translation.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, it's from his epistle to Adelphius, which so far I have only found a complete version of in Greek, as it is part of Migne's Patrologia Graeca series (something like 160+ volumes of Greek works). Some helpful person over on Logos' community board put up links to the PDF's of all of HH's works collected by Migne, so you can find it there. Translation appears to be quite piecemeal, as it's easy to find that particular quote (say, here or here), as it bears much weight as to this particular question/practice, but not as easy to find the actual epistle in English. There are various collections of HH's epistles (I once owned one in Syriac, but lost it in my move to my current home), so it's no doubt in one or maybe many of these, but I have yet to find it online in English, only excerpts. Perhaps someone here will know where to find it in translation.
I’ve seen Arabic translations of it, I like anything written by Saint Athanasius of Alexandria he’s my favorite Church Father.

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The veneration of the sacred heart is outside our tradition but I never perceived it to be Nestorian. It is a spiritual foundation for a hospice of the Catholic Church. I would rather just not be concerned about it as a tradition but just see the good that the Catholic Church utilizes it for.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The veneration of the sacred heart is outside our tradition but I never perceived it to be Nestorian. It is a spiritual foundation for a hospice of the Catholic Church. I would rather just not be concerned about it as a tradition but just see the good that the Catholic Church utilizes it for.
I don’t agree with this. You’re saying that as a doctrine it is unimportant and has no theological effect, and I think that is not true. It’s obvious to me that it does, just as the Filioque does. (I’m just not the smartest cookie when it comes to theological questions; I’ve always been more of an apologetics guy.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don’t agree with this. You’re saying that as a doctrine it is unimportant and has no theological effect, and I think that is not true. It’s obvious to me that it does, just as the Filioque does. (I’m just not the smartest cookie when it comes to theological questions; I’ve always been more of an apologetics guy.)

To me it’s just some Catholic tradition that seems incompatible with Orthodox tradition. I just think the hospice workers are good Christian people.

Last edited:
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To me it’s just some Catholic tradition that seems incompatible with Orthodox tradition. I just think the hospice workers are good Christian people.

Lots of people may be good; does that mean that their practices or theology should enter your parishes? No, right?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lots of people may be good; does that mean that their practices or theology should enter your parishes? No, right?

No, I was only referring to the healthcare network of the Hospice of the Sacred Heart & its care providers. I mean what they do on a general community basis nothing to do with our parishes.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Yeah to be honest, unless it started impacting Eastern Orthodox tradition, I don't see the point in going out of your way to criticize it. The Sacred Heart began as a private vision given to a Catholic nun, which was later spread by the Jesuits.

Considering that Catholics very clearly don't believe in Nestorianism, and their inherent spirituality will be different from Eastern Orthodoxy, why is it the business of the Orthodox to go out of their way condemning the spirituality of monks and nuns that, quite frankly, put to shame a lot of Orthodox?

It shouldn't be the business of the Orthodox to judge the spiritual lives of non-Orthodox, unless it becomes hostile towards Orthodoxy.

Why don't you say a prayer for them instead of wasting your time complaining on the internet to the winds? What, will this one thread suddenly stop the Sacred Heart devotion?

Nobody likes it when the Catholics criticize Palamism as a Christianized yoga.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: SeraphimSarov
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Posting a thread online does not equal theology entering your parishes.

Although you Copts have a lot more to worry about than the Eastern Orthodox; I've experienced Protestantization and Catholicization first hand at a Coptic parish.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Considering that Catholics very clearly don't believe in Nestorianism,

The Syro-Malabar Catholics from southern India and the Chaldean Catholics from Iraq both have an anaphora supposedly authored by Nestorius which they still use to this day in their liturgies, though sometimes they put it under a different name for some reason.

Here is a video of the Syro-Malabar Catholics celebrating the 'Qudasha of Mar Nestorius', in the Syro-Malabar eparchy of Great Britain:

I'm not sure that anyone can say firmly that the Roman Catholic communion believes anything in particular beyond a semi-shared ecclesiastical vision ('semi-' because the history of groups like the Maronites is somewhat messier than they themselves tend to portray it in this regard).

As to your other post, my Church or it's problems integrating properly into new lands is not the subject of this thread, and is neither appropriate to this board, nor this thread. I'll thank you to not bring up irrelevant matters, as the Sacred Heart devotion is nowhere found in Coptic Orthodox spirituality. I've experienced Protestantization in literally every Catholic parish I ever visited, and Latinization in the Eastern Catholic (Ruthenian) parish I visited before leaving Catholicism entirely. What would that have to do with the topic? Nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: Barney2.0
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Considering that Catholics very clearly don't believe in Nestorianism

except that to divide the Incarnate Christ into "parts" is the error of Nestorianism.

It shouldn't be the business of the Orthodox to judge the spiritual lives of non-Orthodox, unless it becomes hostile towards Orthodoxy.

it's also not the business of a non-denom to tell us how to relate to erroneous Roman teaching.

Why don't you say a prayer for them instead of wasting your time complaining on the internet to the winds? What, will this one thread suddenly stop the Sacred Heart devotion?

pointing out it's incompatibility is not the same as complaining to the four winds. and I suspect no one thinks this'll stop it, but it is good for us to discuss in case someone comes asking why we don't do it.

Palamism goes back to the OT. the Sacred Heart does not. those are apples and oranges.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
it's also not the business of a non-denom to tell us how to relate to erroneous Roman teaching.

Ain't my fault that after two and a half years of weekly catechism courses and attending liturgy every single week, going out of my way to volunteer at my parish's soup kitchen, and trying to go to confession as much as I could without receiving absolution, my parish priest for all intents and purposes told me to get lost.

Truly, there are prostitutes that are entering into the Kingdom of God before some Orthodox. In fact, I would say most prostitutes compared to most Orthodox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah to be honest, unless it started impacting Eastern Orthodox tradition, I don't see the point in going out of your way to criticize it. The Sacred Heart began as a private vision given to a Catholic nun, which was later spread by the Jesuits.

Considering that Catholics very clearly don't believe in Nestorianism, and their inherent spirituality will be different from Eastern Orthodoxy, why is it the business of the Orthodox to go out of their way condemning the spirituality of monks and nuns that, quite frankly, put to shame a lot of Orthodox?

This is amazing, some people think I am endorsing the sacred heart & others think I am putting it down as an example of Nestorianism within the RCC.

All I have been saying is that this is not our tradition, poses theology problems for us, did not think it is Nestorian, and to leave it be but look for any general good it might have as exemplified by the care providers of the Hospice of the Sacred Heart.

Upvote 0