Sacred Choral Music: Hymns and Polyphony, what are your Top Five?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some of our parishes may be lacking in the sacred music department, but we can seek it out in other ways. I like to stream sacred choral music online, does anyone else listen to it? Or maybe your parish does have a great choir that offers beautiful music for Mass.

At any rate, what are your top five? To be clear, we're excluding basically anything written after the renaissance, and we're not including chant.

Mine are:

1. If Ye Love Me (Thomas Tallis)
2. Sicut Cervus (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
3. Miserere Mei (Gregorio Allegri)
4. Stabat Mater (Giovanni Battista Pergolesi)
5. Alma Redemptoris Mater (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)

Share yours!

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'll chime in here to say that I really appreciate these by Thomas Tallis, though they're all great. Here is another one that is unique in that it's not only a 40 part motet, but this particular version was sung by 700 people in 40 parts, it's quite impressive.

Also, the version of Spem In Alium by The Tallis Scholars is outstanding if one prefers this done by a smaller group than 700.

I am Orthodox, but I enjoy the Western choral music/chants too ! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'll chime in here to say that I really appreciate these by Thomas Tallis, though they're all great. Here is another one that is unique in that it's not only a 40 part motet, but this particular version was sung by 700 people in 40 parts, it's quite impressive.

Also, the version of Spem In Alium by The Tallis Scholars is outstanding if one prefers this done by a smaller group than 700.

I am Orthodox, but I enjoy the Western choral music/chants too ! :)

I'm such a huge fan of Tallis, there's such a purity to the notes of his music. Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0