Eretria90

Yes I am One Awesome Eagle
Dec 5, 2006
✟16,966.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone have any favorite Catholic chants, whether it's Gregorian, Ambrosian, Sarum, Gothic, Byzantine, Renaissance polyphonic, etc.?

Probably my favorite Catholic chant/song is "Sicut Cervus" performed by Schola Gregoriana del Coro Paer; it was originally created by Palestrina (seriously, if you have not listened to this guy's works you need to go and listen to his polyphonic chants NOW). I really wish this version was available on youtube; it is by far the best performance of "Sicut Cervus" I have ever listened to. So full of emotion and everything, the truest polyphonic chant.

Here's that version on amazon that you can buy: Amazon.com: Sicut cervus: Schola Gregoriana Del Coro Paer: MP3 Downloads

Seriously, blast it on your speakers to see what I mean.

Here's the second best version of "Sicut Cervus" I've ever listened to: Sicut cervus (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina) - New York Polyphony - YouTube

This is by far the best rendition of "Dies Irae" I've ever listened to (also one of my top favorites): Gregorian Chant - Benedictine Monks - Church Music - YouTube

I recently fell in love with the Catholic hymn "Immaculate Mary," which I've only recently started hearing at Mass. Definitely one of my favorite Catholic hymns in English, much better than those garbage Protestant songs that are sung usually at Mass. The best version I've listened to is performed by the Benedictine nuns of Mary Queen of Apostles. I can't really find a good version on youtube to provide.:(

Reactions: anna ~ grace

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟14,992.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

St Sebastian

Jul 7, 2019
FL
✟43,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
O Bread of Heaven was sung at my first Holy Communion many years ago .

Here it is being sung in Westminster Cathedral .

Oh! I know that tune, but the words I know are different.
I know it as "Faith of Our Fathers"

Thank you, Colin!

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.