• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. I just wanted to share something my fiance' came up with. She is a jewelry designer and has a shop with her daughter. They asked if I had an outlet for some of their items and I told them I would share it with everyone here at CF. So I started them an Etsy Shop account to showcase what they have done. And this is the first items! Check it out and let me know what you think!

Thanks so much! - Rex

Click here to see it!

Sabbath day...

Discussion in 'Singles (Only*)' started by NurseAbigail, Feb 12, 2018.

1. NurseAbigail

NurseAbigail God decided the world needed some comedy... Supporter

+1,458
    United States
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    I am currently reading a book entitled, "Finding Rest When The Work Is Never Done" by Patrick Klingaman, and he mentioned about keeping the Sabbath day as a day of rest, kinda struck me because honestly, my mind keeps firing 24/7, I feel like I can't truly rest, must always be doing something productive. Ugh, I feel bad that this part of the 10 commandments, I'm really struggling with and the fact that I work weekends so can't really go to church, but I do go to bible study in the middle of week. Even way back, when I do go to church on Sundays, I was always in some ministry either in children's or in music, so even then, it always felt like a stressful time, lols. What are your thoughts on rest and specifically regarding keeping the Sabbath day holy?

2. Bortsss

Bortsss a social experiment

+961
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    it doesn't have to be on Sunday (or Saturdays as our Seventh Day Adventist friends claim) I do believe we need to set apart at least one day of the week for rest and worship. I can't remember a New Testament reference for this, but I did stumble upon this at gotquestions that I thought was cool when I read it.

3. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Mod Queue Spam Troll Banner Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+1,834
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    Sabbath goes Friday at sundown until Saturday at sundown. It is good to spend time in prayer and Scripture and worship, but these are not obligations.

As far as what cannot be done, I think there are three restrictions.

Do not do any activities that are specifically forbidden, including paid employment, household chores, and errands.

Don't do any work that might be labelled as work, such as homework, housework, working out, etc. It's why I don't do any moderator activities during that time anymore.

Don't do anything else out of an attitude of duty, obligation, or guilt if not done, including religious worship, spending time with family, etc. If we do them because we feel we "have to", they are work for us.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+840
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    One is permitted, in fact obligated, to break the Sabbath to save a life. You could always donate the salary you make on the Shabbath to the poor also...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+4,242
    Christian
    If I donated the part of my salary that I make on the Sabbath, I will be sacrificing 1/3 of my earnings that week. I don't get to choose not to work on this so called "Sabbath". And do you really want yourself or a family member to not get any nursing care or fed or medicine on the Sabbath because nobody is willing to work? That is a long time for granny to dehydrate or sit in diarrhea, and she would have good gross pressure ulcers on multiple parts of her body if medical workers were not allowed to work on the Sabbath.

6. blackribbon

blackribbon Not a newbie

+4,242
    Christian
    and what is the definition of "the poor"?

7. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+840
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Maybe you should READ my post?

8. CFCurmudgeon

CFCurmudgeon So disappoint Supporter

+1,440
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Maybe let's just let people have their opinions and not derail another thread by jumping down someone's throat.

9. CodyFaith

CodyFaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,640
    Canada
    Baptist
    Single
    The Sabbath is Friday sundown till Saturday sundown as Michael has said.

For me personally, I don't follow do's and dont's on the Sabbath anymore, to an extent. When I was going to convert to Orthodox Judaism many years back I observed specific do's and dont's (or attempted to) but when I came back to Christ I put those ways behind me.

What I do on the Sabbath is I firstly and foremostly acknowledge the day, which means when it becomes and is the Sabbath, I talk to God and in my heart acknowledge the Sabbath, peace, rest, etc. This isn't done strictly, rather something I just do automatically for the most part. On the Sabbath I just aim to have peace with God as much as I can, have joy and happiness, and have a restful spirit. If someone needs help lifting something, or I have to work, or things like that then I will do those things because as I said I don't observe the Sabbath like that anymore... Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath, and that means we are not to burden ourselves with the Sabbath and rules of it rather we are to allow the Sabbath to relieve us of burdens.

Naturally many members are going to disagree over this topic, because it goes into how someone views the Law itself and specific denominations (Messianic Judaism being the main one) have specific ways of observing the Sabbath and the Law.

Just remember Jesus said the Commandments are not burdensome, and use that to guide you.

10. CFCurmudgeon

CFCurmudgeon So disappoint Supporter

+1,440
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I more go for the heart of the command than the letter. I believe that God gave us the Sabbath for our good and His glory, so I see it as a necessary part of my week. I don't identify it as being any really specific time frame, I just try to choose whatever day works best in my schedule. Now that I am leading worship on Sunday mornings, Sunday is basically a work day for me, so I take my Sabbath on Saturday. We still do have practices on Saturday morning so unfortunately I don't have an entire day from beginning to end that I can set aside, but it works well enough to keep me from burning out. I do need to incorporate more time with the Lord as part of my rest days though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  11. NurseAbigail

+1,458
    United States
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    Thanks Cody, this makes much sense!

12. Noxot

Noxot far away Supporter

+1,333
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I try to have the sabbath in my life as much as possible. I would prefer to have 6 days of sabbath and 1 day of work. maybe in the future when robots and AI take all the jobs...

13. kittysbecute

kittysbecute Jedi Apprentice Supporter

+2,109
    United States
    Protestant
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    I think having a day of rest is important. It is tough when there isn’t any rest, but sometimes it’s difficult to have that time.
    Ideally I like to have Sundays as my day of rest. But this month Sunday is my busiest day from the moment I wake up until the moment I can sleep well after midnight. Once this particular obligation ends, I’m going to try to go back to taking Sundays as my rest days. But I think any day is fine to take as a rest day. I’m tempted to take today as a rest day - but I have so much I need to get done. (I guess today I will try to make a fun, productive, rest day. Not stress about anything, but get stuff done.)
    Nurse Abigail, maybe you can set aside one of the days you don’t work to be a rest day.

14. NurseAbigail

+1,458
    United States
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    Yeah, i decided Monday to be my rest day. It usually takes me atleast 2 days to bounce back from the stress. And yeah sunday ideally is a good rest day.

15. kittysbecute

kittysbecute Jedi Apprentice Supporter

+2,109
    United States
    Protestant
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    For several years, I used to have one day weekends. It was so tough because it only gives enough time to either rest or get things done at home, never enough of both. I’m so thankful to have multiple day weekends now.

16. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,142
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Just think, if you didn't take Saturdays off back in the day, they would try to kill you for it lol

17. Multifavs

Multifavs CF's Multi-Named Knightess Supporter

+2,866
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    It's hard for me to set aside a particular day to not work since I don't have a job, so I don't work anyway.