Remco

Sep 20, 2008
✟15,145.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Too late, I've been learning German for four years now and I love it. :p

Apparently Swedish is similar to Dutch and German... or so I have heard!
Yes, Dutch, German and Swedish, they all belong to the Germanic languages. But I must say that I have never really learned Swedish. German is no problem for me. There is much in German that is like Dutch.

Upvote 0

Vom Osten

Dec 17, 2009
✟15,135.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
i had to learn russian at school. didn't like it and forgot everything i learned. dunno if polish is difficult to learn. but if i had to choose i'd take russian coz some of my aunts and uncles live there.

Familie im Russland?

Sind Sie Wolgadeutsche?

Upvote 0

schwarzes_schaf

think for yourself
Mar 21, 2004
Earth
✟91,951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Familie im Russland?

Sind Sie Wolgadeutsche?

My mother is russian. She was born there and grew up there. She came to Germany after she married my father. But all my aunts, uncles, cousins live there (near Ekaterienburg). No Volga Germans inside my family as far as i know.

Upvote 0

dana b

Dec 8, 2009
✟11,243.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

I"ve been many times to Germany, Poland and Russia. If your Orthodox Christian then learn Russian. But if you want to talk to Catholics only then learn Polish. I speak Russian but only a little Polish. Russians and Polish are not the best of friends. Don't go to Poland and speak Russian. I tried, it wasn't good. Don't speak Polish in Orthodox Russia. You will get bad looks. To understand this you can check the website www.secondbookofdaniel.com in chapter 10 till 16 Polish are the from the Tribe of Asher, Russian Orthodox is the Tribe of Dan.

Upvote 0

Silyosha

TRADITIONAL Catholic, Loyal to the Magisterium
Jan 29, 2010
USA
✟7,682.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would pick Russian because it sounds pretty, though Polish is neat, too! I think you'll have more of an opportunity to practice Russian (at least in my opinion).
[I disagree with previous posters on the sound of German--I think it sounds just charming! :)]

Upvote 0

Ambrosius

Sep 6, 2009
✟15,655.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

I"ve been many times to Germany, Poland and Russia. If your Orthodox Christian then learn Russian. But if you want to talk to Catholics only then learn Polish. I speak Russian but only a little Polish. Russians and Polish are not the best of friends. Don't go to Poland and speak Russian. I tried, it wasn't good. Don't speak Polish in Orthodox Russia. You will get bad looks. To understand this you can check the website www.secondbookofdaniel.com in chapter 10 till 16 Polish are the from the Tribe of Asher, Russian Orthodox is the Tribe of Dan.

Hmm, that is kind of ridiculous to say the Poles and Russians are from different tribes. They are both Slavs, 1000 years ago they would have been able to talk to each other and there would be almost no difference between their languages... 2000 years ago and you would not be able to tell them apart.

Upvote 0

mysho44

Sep 16, 2009
Sofia, Bulgaria
✟7,701.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The beauty of learning either or is that you will at least have some comprehension of the other. As the Slavs are sub-divided into Eastern, Southern, and Western Slavic groups, you will find a degree of similarity. I myself am Polish, and living in Bulgaria at the moment. I never learned Bulgarian, but I studied Serbian during my MA and it has helped me to get a handle on Bulgarian :). Ahh those Slavs :p

Hmm, that is kind of ridiculous to say the Poles and Russians are from different tribes. They are both Slavs, 1000 years ago they would have been able to talk to each other and there would be almost no difference between their languages... 2000 years ago and you would not be able to tell them apart.

Indeed. The name 'Slavs' has been linked to Slavic words for 'glory', 'those who talk', 'word', the list goes on. Incidentally, the word for German in many Slavic tongues is 'Niemiec', or 'Nemec', which could mean 'one who does not talk', or 'mumbling people'. ;)

Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
i attend liturgy at both the russian and greek churches. but i must say, i am very fond of the russian chants. they are so beautiful and melodic. i feel as if i'm being lifted up to the clouds its so beautiful. yes, i really want to learn to speak russian.

it sounds wonderful to my ears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharpSolaris

in the mind
Apr 14, 2011
✟15,221.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If you speak russian - people understand in the all CIS. Russian, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldavian Republicect, etc. It's 12 countries and 1/6 of the planet.
Russian alphabet is easy. I study English 2 weeks. English alphabet is difficult! Оne a letter have more sounds!
Example: "a". Lamp, pIay, metal, chair... etc. ))
Russian not have more souns in one letter.
---
Здравствуйте!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

schwarzes_schaf

think for yourself
Mar 21, 2004
Earth
✟91,951.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
:wave:

i think it has a lot to do with where you grow up. for us here in western europe learning russian would be difficult. but we're used to our alphabet just as you're used to the cyrillic one. but learning english is pretty easy compared to other languages e.g. german (cant' tell you if that's true because i'm a native speaker, but my mother who is russian said learning german was very hard for her)

Upvote 0

SharpSolaris

in the mind
Apr 14, 2011
✟15,221.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I know, I know. You can right are. Russian maybe is difficult. But difficult is grammar. Alphabet and phonetics is easy. The English is not so: the alphabet and phonetics is difficult. But grammar is easy.
Even have a joke: English write "Manchester", and read "Liverpool". =)
But, if you're used to your alphabet... It is, another matter, of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LBP

GONE
Apr 5, 2010
✟910.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you learn Russian, you will be able to navigate to some extent in Polish because there is a lot of overlap. My wife grew up in Russian-speaking Belarus near the Polish border and can navigate around Poland with no problem. Now that I know some Russian, I'm amazed how many words I recognize when we watch a Polish movie.

Upvote 0

osnova

Kindler of the flame
Apr 17, 2011
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neither. We should all start learning Chinese.

Seriously though. It all depends on what you are looking for. Poland is part of the European Union and you can communicate with them in German or English. If you learn Russian you will be able to communicate with a couple of hundred million new people. For good or bad, Russia will play a larger role in the world than Poland. They may even start another war or conflict. They have lots of energy resources. They present themselves to the West in a very different light from what is actually going on within. So, I'd learn Russian if I didn't speak it already. I am fascinated with Polish though.

Here is a quick lesson in Russian (the English words if pronounced quickly almost sound like Russian ones):

Yellow blue bus [я люблю вас] - I love you
Just leave us [счастлива] - Good bye
Dog spat on ya [до свиданья] - Good bye

Last edited:
Upvote 0