Visit site
✟234,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the Gospel was created hundreds of years after the apostles.
I don't either, which is why we adhere to the Gospel as taught by the Church, and not those which are taught by groups that came into existence only much later than the Church established by the Apostles.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't either, which is why we adhere to the Gospel as taught by the Church, and not those which are taught by groups that came into existence only much later than the Church established by the Apostles.
Maybe you should state what you think the Orthodox Church Gospel is actually.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. If you mean why wouldn't the ROC be under scrutiny elsewhere?

You bring up a good point some Orthodox in the US bring up from time to time. There's a ROC, Greek Orthodox Church et al. but not an American Orthodox church.
What I meant is doesn't the law effect the Russian church as much as it effects everyone else? Foreign or domestic if you're not allowed to evangelize then this has direct implications on the mission of the church regardless where you hang your hat at night or what brand you go by.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you should state what you think the Orthodox Church Gospel is actually.
God became man and suffered as one of us because He Loves us more than most or all of us can even begin to know, yet we can know the greatness of His Love (i.e. the greatness of God - for "God is Love"), because after He suffered, died, was buried, and rose again on the third day and ascended to Heaven to sit at the right hand of God, He sent the Holy Spirit of to communicate God's saving and healing grace to us. It is by this grace that we are transformed, through our faith, into the image and likeness of God which had become broken in us by our ancestral sin. Thus we are saved from sin and death and have become partakers of God's nature, and this is by the Holy Spirit.

That is about how I would summarize Christ's Gospel, according to the Church Who has taught and lived this same, unchanging Gospel Truth from Her very start, about 2000 years ago.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is no Gospel more pure than the Orthodox Christian Gospel, so why preach some other gospel?
the gospel itself is purer where the "Orthodox Christian Gospel" is only an interpretation of that even if it's the oldest.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I despise how the Russian Orthodox Church has essentially just become an arm of the state, but I actually somewhat agree with these particular laws. There is no reason for Evangelicals to preach to the Russians. Russians have their own Christian faith, which is Orthodoxy. That should be respected.
If there are unbelievers in Russia that for some reason the evangelistic efforts of the Russian Orthodox church hasn't reached should we just turn a blind eye and say it's their problem? There are no political boundaries with Christ and the lines of Russia and the rest of the world have no bearing on if the gospel should or should not be preached. There are almost 200 people groups in Russia and not all of them look to the Orthodox church as their heart expression of faith.

Faith is not inherited like this, if one was born in Rome can they only be Catholic? If one was born in England can they only be Anglican? What about Constantinople... can they only be Eastern Or... ah... er... Muslim. When faith does not reach people we should not be apathetic to it and say let whatever will happen, happen.

I care less about offending other Christians than I do about bringing people to faith. Ideally, both should happen, but we just can't forget about the latter because we are too afraid of the former.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
If there are unbelievers in Russia that for some reason the evangelistic efforts of the Russian Orthodox church hasn't reached should we just turn a blind eye and say it's their problem? There are no political boundaries with Christ and the lines of Russia and the rest of the world have no bearing on if the gospel should or should not be preached. There are almost 200 people groups in Russia and not all of them look to the Orthodox church as their heart expression of faith.

Faith is not inherited like this, if one was born in Rome can they only be Catholic? If one was born in England can they only be Anglican? What about Constantinople... can they only be Eastern Or... ah... er... Muslim. When faith does not reach people we should not be apathetic to it and say let whatever will happen, happen.

I care less about offending other Christians than I do about bringing people to faith. Ideally, both should happen, but we just can't forget about the latter because we are too afraid of the former.

I care about bringing people to the truth and obviously as an Orthodox Christian I'm going to believe the Orthodox faith is the truest and most complete manifestation of the Christian faith.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I care about bringing people to the truth and obviously as an Orthodox Christian I'm going to believe the Orthodox faith is the truest and most complete manifestation of the Christian faith.
Then it's the role of the greater Orthodox church to send missionaries to Russia. But even if this is happening it is still not good enough. Only when a country is 100% Christian do they have the right to reject evanglism to the lost.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Then it's the role of the greater Orthodox church to send missionaries to Russia. But even if this is happening it is still not good enough. Only when a country is 100% Christian do they have the right to reject evanglism to the lost.

No country is 100%b Christian, though, nor has any country ever been. Even if people were not as open about it in the past atheism has kind of always existed.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No country is 100%b Christian, though, nor has any country ever been. Even if people were not as open about it in the past atheism has kind of always existed.
which means no one has the luxury to turn down, condemn, wag the finger at, shake the fist at, etc.. evangelism from Christians

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
which means no one has the luxury to turn down, condemn, wag the finger at, shake the fist at, etc.. evangelism from Christians

Sure they can if heresy is being taught, which we Orthodox believe Evangelicals are teaching.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I despise how the Russian Orthodox Church has essentially just become an arm of the state, but I actually somewhat agree with these particular laws. There is no reason for Evangelicals to preach to the Russians. Russians have their own Christian faith, which is Orthodoxy. That should be respected.

While I wouldn't be surprised if there have been some abuses, people being people, I doubt they are pervasive or substantial. I have a hard time picturing evangelicals going around offering $400 if one would leave the ROC and become a Charismatic. While I would expect evangelical efforts to be applicable to all, I would think their focus would primarily be on the unchurched, just as it is in America. Indeed, much evangelical missionary work is done organically in the workplace, simply as part of lifestyle.

I'm not on the ground in Russia, but someone would have to change my mind on this. It seems to me that much of the complaining here is about losing sheep to a legitimate faith system that people are freely choosing.

If that is the case, then endorsing this Russian law seems tantamount to saying that no faith at all is better than an Evangelical faith. Considering that Evangelicals preach the Cross of Christ, I view that as a hindering of the word of God, a very serious error indeed.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
how many Orthodox missionaries are there in the world anyway? it doesn't seem like a strong characteristic of them.

With regards to Russian Orthodox, Vladimir the Great in the 10th century desired a statewide religion. Runners up were Catholicism, Judaism and Islam, but he didn't like the dietary restrictions of the latter. He ultimately chose Orthodox because he wanted to blanket his country with the greatness he saw in Hagia Sophia; his agenda was inward glory. Had it been the 13th century Russia would be Catholic, had it been the 15th century Russia would be Muslim.
Not really, it is because his emissaries informed him that when they went to Hagia Sophia, and were participating in a worship service there, they "could not tell if they were in heaven or on earth". So it's more likely that the Holy Spirit had a lot to do with St. Vladimir's ultimate decision. Vladimir is in Christ, forevermore.

Upvote 0