Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is now eight months since Russia began the invasion of Ukraine, a war that has so far taken the lives of more than 6,000 civilians, including nearly 400 children.

Russian presidential spokesman Dmitri Peskov said his government is willing to talk with Pope Francis, the United States, and France to find a solution to the war in Ukraine.

“We are willing to discuss all this (the situation in Ukraine) with the Americans, with the French, and with the pontiff,” Peskov said during a daily telephone news conference Oct. 25.

The Russian official was referring to the proposal by French President Emmanuel Macron, who on Monday asked the Roman Pontiff to call Russian President Vladimir Putin, U.S. President Joe Biden, and Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill to “promote the peace process” in Ukraine.

In a statement to Le Point magazine, Macron said he encouraged “Pope Francis to call Vladimir Putin and Patriarch Kirill, but also Joe Biden. We need the United States to come to the table to promote the peace process in Ukraine.”

Continued below.
Russia is ‘Willing’ to Speak with Pope Francis About the War in Ukraine

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It is now eight months since Russia began the invasion of Ukraine, a war that has so far taken the lives of more than 6,000 civilians, including nearly 400 children.

Russian presidential spokesman Dmitri Peskov said his government is willing to talk with Pope Francis, the United States, and France to find a solution to the war in Ukraine.

“We are willing to discuss all this (the situation in Ukraine) with the Americans, with the French, and with the pontiff,” Peskov said during a daily telephone news conference Oct. 25.

The Russian official was referring to the proposal by French President Emmanuel Macron, who on Monday asked the Roman Pontiff to call Russian President Vladimir Putin, U.S. President Joe Biden, and Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill to “promote the peace process” in Ukraine.

In a statement to Le Point magazine, Macron said he encouraged “Pope Francis to call Vladimir Putin and Patriarch Kirill, but also Joe Biden. We need the United States to come to the table to promote the peace process in Ukraine.”

Continued below.
It is good that Putin is willing to talk. But my guess is that he wants the three of them to persuade the Ukraine to surrender: something that his own efforts in war have failed to do.

Indeed, if the three men named band together, and instead urge Putin himself to stop making war, I wonder if he will listen.
My guess is that would be an unwelcome message for Putin to receive, much less for him to act upon.
And it might just have the opposite results.
May God open his ears and his heart.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Continued below.

Unfortunately I don't think it would amount to anything. My personal view on this is Putin wanted to stop the war with all the gains Russia has gotten. Meaning the 15% of Eastern Ukrainian lands currently still occupied. This is likely because the Russian war front has been crumbling.

Notice that the proposed talk doesn't involve Ukraine. It is big players trying to determine the fate of another country without her participation. Something I don't agree with.

I mean no offense to my Catholic brethren and sisters, but who are the Pope, Russian Patriarch, Russian President, France President and the American President that they be the arbiter of Ukraine? All I'm seeing is the abuse of power and position.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Unfortunately I don't think it would amount to anything. My personal view on this is Putin wanted to stop the war with all the gains Russia has gotten. Meaning the 15% of Eastern Ukrainian lands currently still occupied. This is likely because the Russian war front has been crumbling.

Notice that the proposed talk doesn't involve Ukraine. It is big players trying to determine the fate of another country without her participation. Something I don't agree with.

I mean no offense to my Catholic brethren and sisters, but who are the Pope, Russian Patriarch, Russian President, France President and the American President that they be the arbiter of Ukraine? All I'm seeing is the abuse of power and position.

Not an abuse of power. Putin it seems might be looking for an out and the Catholic church in that region and elsewhere still holds some moral authority. The church would certainly only be a middleman so to speak which would allow Putin to save some face.

Always leave your enemy an out and not trap them in a corner. remember Russia has a nuclear arsenal.

The church can be the perfect go-between.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Not an abuse of power. Putin it seems might be looking for an out and the Catholic church in that region and elsewhere still holds some moral authority. The church would certainly only be a middleman so to speak which would allow Putin to save some face.

Always leave your enemy an out and not trap them in a corner. remember Russia has a nuclear arsenal.

The church can be the perfect go-between.

It would be great if there is a real dialogue to resolve this war. But without Ukraine herself such dialogue is empty. Does it not feel like Ukraine matters not? Russia is talking to America about Ukraine via the Pope. Will any decision made during that dialogue be honored by the victim? Or will the big powers force Ukraine to honor them via pure political and economical pressure?

Putin is favored here in the dialogue because he has nuclear. Maybe as a practical compromise it is better to lay a path for Putin than Zelensky. If he offers to stop at the cost of taking Eastern Ukraine, should America or the West agree? In a way Putin wins. Ukraine is left out to dry. Proving once and for all NATO really only see Ukraine as a leverage against Russia.

Feels like appeasement even to me as an outside observe, what more to the Ukrainians themselves. How long more must they live in the shadow of their giant neighbor? How soon will another annexation be? 8 years? It didn't stop with Crimea. The question is will it stop with Kherson and Luhansk?

Last edited:
Upvote 0