✟162,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
From this morning's Guardian:

The Institute for the Study of War (ISW), a US thinktank, said Russia likely staged the attack in order to emphasise the existential threat to Russia’s citizens and to prepare for wider mobilisation.

It’s “extremely unlikely that two drones could have penetrated multiple layers of air defence and detonated or been shot down just over the heart of the Kremlin in a way that provided spectacular imagery caught nicely on camera”, the ISW said in its report.

The incident has also coincided with preparations for Russia’s Victory Day holiday on 9 May which is usually marked with a military parade across Red Square, next to the Kremlin.

“The Kremlin may use the strike to justify either cancelling or further limiting May 9th celebrations,” the ISW said.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem I see with 2 is that Russia had no problem doing all those bad things without such a false flag operation. They don't need to justify anything in front of their population, they just send their controlled media out and they invent stuff out of whole cloth, which the russian public greedily gobbles up.
They don't necessarily need to justify that stuff to their people, but it does give them something to point to when the international community complains - or justification for further escalation (either in Ukraine or at home).

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yea, announcing to the world that their air defense system let intruders over their most sensitive air space is a bit suspect.
I dunno. I'm old enough to remember Matthias Rust.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dunno. I'm old enough to remember Matthias Rust.

I doubt the Soviet government announced it to the world as Russian government did in this case. IMO, Putin will use this event to justify an escalation in the near future. The Russians have already implied the US was behind the "attack"...

Upvote 0