Running Together

B

blythe_ann

Sorry, starting threads all over the place :)

I'm just a very lucky girl. My husband agreed to run with me tomorrow, with no training, because I was nervous to run by myself. So, we will be running a 5K in honor of his mother's memory for the American Cancer Society.

So we have been doing a crash course on running the past two week.

He's pretty awesome, and might be sore all weekend just to make me more comfortable. :)

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good luck! Have you been training? Has it gone well? Is it your first? Can you tell I'm interested? And great cause.

Running is (was) my primary hobby. Will be again after I have my right knee meniscus repaired. (Which I hurt doing yard work, NOT running).

Oh, almost forgot the point of your post. Yes, that is super awesome of your DH.

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

I have been training, he has not. I am primarily a treadmill runner, because I started in the winter.
It will be our first official 5k. I have been running a great time on the treadmill, outside I am a little slower, but still pretty good (in my opinion). But, I will walk with my husband if he needs to stop. I just didn't want to run alone in my first race.

Good luck on the knee getting better! I'm by no means a super-runner, but I do what I can.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool! First races should be all about enjoying yourself. Heck, all races can be if you want them to, but particularly in first races time shouldn't even be relevant. So glad you're getting run with DH.

Now, I expect a full race report when you're done!! Time doesn't matter. What you experienced does. Let us celebrate with you.

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

Thank you for the encouragement. Wolfgate, I LOVE your enthusiasm, it is really boosting me up a lot, thank you so much.
We will have a great time. We ran a mile and a half tonight and afterwards, my husband made me yoga instructor (that's how I stretch out afterwards). I've never seen him "reach to the sky" or hold a plank position, lol.
I'm a little nervous to run with more experienced runners, but with my husband there they will all disappear and it will be just he and I running along.

I promise a full report afterwards. I may actually be playing bass with the live band afterwards, if I'm still breathing, of course.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure you'll do great! :) You won't be the only one there for the first time, I'm sure...so try not to let that thought bother you.

Your hubby rocks for running with you!

I have always wanted to do a 5K run but I have issues with my hips/knees/ankles. But, I do want to train and run for at least one in my life...even if I come in dead last. :D My hubby runs and said he would be happy to do a 5K with me. Maybe 2012 will be my year (definitely not happening this year). :)

Let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We ran together for a little while, but it's too darn hot here. Sorry, we are wimps. Then I ran on the treadmill for quite a while, as my knees got worse and worse, and then I was diagnosed with arthritis in both knees, so my running days are over. :(

I really would say - run your feet off while you can. :) I wish I had started running earlier in life. It's one thing I truly do miss. It was like flying! Seriously, I would get all excited and happy before a run, and what a sense of accomplishment at the end.

Hope you guys have a great time! Exercising together is really, really good for you guys - helps to strengthen your bonds and reinforce your health at the same time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I don't think it happened yet, how I could be wrong. I didn't see a date for the race posted.

Yesterday she said she was running tomorrow - which would be today. Unless she just meant training tomorrow. I don't know.

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

So it went really well.
There weren't that many runners, so I sound a lot more impressive than I am, but I got second in my age group (20-40), third over all in women's out of probably 25-30 runners. I don't know if I want to post my time because for me it was great, but I know others wouldn't be nearly as impressed, but I will anyways for the sake of curiosity. 27:49. Both shoes came untied at two different times (yeah, I'm the idiot that doesn't double knot her shoes at a race!), I walked a section of gravel because I was hoping my husband would catch up, and got a side stitch that slowed me down a little. So, with all of those dumb obstacles, I'm happy with that time! And, it sprinkled through most of it.
My husband did a respectable time for having only trained a week, actually it was kind of around my original goal time. 31:42. For not running a full 5K ever in his life, that was AWESOME. And he was probably cheered on the most of everyone because I kept telling everyone around me, "that's my husband! That's him!" So everyone was cheering when he got there.

After the race a lightening storm started, we went to wendy's and I had a small frosty. Then a shower. Now here.

All in all it was pretty great. I'm so happy my husband did it with me, and that we both made it out alive!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
blythe ann - You both did wonderful!! Why wouldn't we be impressed? Yeah, I know a lot of people have run 5ks, but many more never have and never will. And like I said before, for first races time really doesn't matter.

So glad DH did it with you. And so glad he gots lots of cheering!!! While every sport has it's jerks, I can say in racing every race without fail I see runners (even the fast ones) who make a point to go back to the finish line and cheer on other racers.

FWIW, both of your times are very respectable!!

Upvote 0
B

blythe_ann

Thanks again, Wolfgate, you are so encouraging! It was really nice. At one point, I asked a lady if she would mind if I paced her... she was slower than me, but I was about to start walking. She said "sure", and when I started taking off again, she said "you are doing great!" How encouraging.

There was one person who wasn't so nice, however. My husband went to bible study this morning and the track coach said "that's a good time, for someone walking..." and went on to brag about his 14:03 finishing son. Which is amazing, but still.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your positive attitude (and it meant a lot that you thought our times were ok! I have no idea what is a good time, and like you said, it was just fun the first time, but good to know we weren't super slow!).

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks again, Wolfgate, you are so encouraging! It was really nice. At one point, I asked a lady if she would mind if I paced her... she was slower than me, but I was about to start walking. She said "sure", and when I started taking off again, she said "you are doing great!" How encouraging.

There was one person who wasn't so nice, however. My husband went to bible study this morning and the track coach said "that's a good time, for someone walking..." and went on to brag about his 14:03 finishing son. Which is amazing, but still.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your positive attitude (and it meant a lot that you thought our times were ok! I have no idea what is a good time, and like you said, it was just fun the first time, but good to know we weren't super slow!).

There's a word for that track coach; this forum would censor it. I wouldn't say it anyway. Whatever. Like I said, there are jerks in every sport. :doh:

You were far from super slow.

Let me put it into context for you. I went to the results of the last 5k race I ran. It had 1425 finishers, so it's good sized race and actually a great cross-section of people who do 5ks. Everything from serious racers to casual racers to people wanting to just complete a 5k, running or walking. While every course is different in degree of difficulty, this race course is pretty fair - not too easy but nothing overly difficult.

Your time would have finished 248 in this race, in the top 20%. Your husband would have finised 488, in the 35%. Yeah, it's possible your course was a little easier, or perhaps was a bit shorter than a true 5k - but some small changes in the data don't make a big difference in the result. Overall you would both have finished easily in the top half of the field for a large, established 5k, and you would have been in the top quarter.

The coach should have been impressed with your time (period) and with your husband running that time on no training.

Upvote 0