Roy Moore: America “was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery”

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mostly I agree he was emphasizing the importance of family. The problem is when he tied it to the past as being the last America was great. Why was it great then but slavery and not great now but family?

I don't have a problem with his comment.
On just one aspect, I can look back in American history when families took care of their own and embraced independence, compared to today when millions have shirked away from taking care of their own, rejecting independence and opted to be government dependents....

It's a poor message of impression that contrasts family and slavery;

That was not my impression of his message.

as if it's better to have slavery of some for most to have family.

His message was nothing of the sort.

Then there's the sexual harassment allegations;

Noted. Accusations, via news media. Huh? Why didn't they file their claims in a court? 11, 40 years ago?

I heard one of his defenses was he didn't recall if he did it (sexually harass an underage girl).

Do you recall on such and such a date 40 years ago asking some person for a date? lol
And BTW, what "sexually harassment" laws were there 40 years ago? humm...
Good grief, back then people hugged, touched, kissed, winked, accepted rides from strangers, said hey baby to strangers, and I doubt they started a conversation with, how old are you.

I hope it's all misunderstanding and misinformation; but I doubt it.

Why?

I don't....

Because their testimony is in the gossip/opinion newspaper columns and not court records under oath.

He seems to be a Trump-like character with very serious flaws.

Serious flaws? Men who like attractive females? And that is out of character for most men? Doubt it.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If he didn't sexually harass an underage girl, he has nothing to recall. This isn't something to be made light of as if it's normal. Most men don't sexually harass underage girls. Also sexual harassment isn't the same as being friendly or showing interest. Latter requires you to know people and establish relationships, while acting appropriately within the context of what's expected. People can sometimes misunderstand, but it's difficult to mistaken sexual harassment for it. If you sexually pursue an underage girl, that's more than a misunderstanding compared to pursuing a relationship with a woman of age.

Did you read the article linked in the original post? He said "America WAS great at a time when families were united, even though we had slavery". That means America was great then when there was slavery, compared to now when there's no slavery. Why isn't America great now, though we have broken families? An exception is made for the greatness of the past, but not today. Personally I think there's great things about the past and great things about the present. Why can't people who talk about family values separate it from the past versus present, especially when the past had plenty of it's own problems?

From article to highlight serious flaws (You don't have any problems with him?):

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist

When the core values of a society asserts that God put those with a darker complexion on earth to live in bondage as slaves, all the strong united family ties in the world are "window dressing" - given that "the ends never justify the means!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@SBC

True. I did agree with certain posts that referred to "race". I do generally agree with their import. It is true that most slaveowners were of recent European descent and most slaves were of recent African descent.

As to the "winner" post, two things:

-I do believe that one can agree with a "foreigner" and that this shows no disloyalty

-Yes, there is a slight inaccuracy in that post's reporting of what Trump said. However, it is not so egregious, especially when we consider the ubiquity these days of "imply then deny" - the remark from Trump was calculated to let white supremacists know that he was with them in spirit, while allowing him plausible deniability.

That's all.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married

This is very well said. Much better than I am able. Thank you.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
@SBC

True. I did agree with certain posts that referred to "race".

Which was my point.

As to the "winner" post, two things:

-I do believe that one can agree with a "foreigner" and that this shows no disloyalty

IMO it depends on foreigners intent.

yes, there is a slight inaccuracy in that post's reporting of what Trump said.

My point. It was not accurate, and thus the responses are to an inaccurate claim.

the remark from Trump was calculated to let white supremacists know that he was with them in spirit, while allowing him plausible deniability.

And? What was their "spirit"?

Preserving American History?
Protesting a grievance against a state government that wants to remove signs of American History?

Without regard to who it is that wants to preserve American History, "in spirit" , I also stand with them.

People today search feverishly for historical records of other ancient nations, and the people thereof, while trying to erase, omit and forget this nations History.

If only what someone considers is good should be known,
We need to do a lot of ripping of pages out of the books that fill this world....

Beginning with the most published book which happens to be the Holy Bible, that is full of historical places and people that might be offended by us knowing their history.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

When the core values of a society asserts that God put those with a darker complexion on earth to live in bondage as slaves, all the strong united family ties in the world are "window dressing" - given that "the ends never justify the means!"

Thanks for sharing your core values .
Although it was disingenuous to post an others meme and not your own with you own words.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Roy Moore; America was great at a time when families were united - even though we had slavery..

Unlike today when families are and choose to be separated.

SBC; Education was great 150 years ago when students actually learned - even though a few fail to learn,

Unlike today when the student actually learning is superseded by lowering standards, and comprehension is compromised as is regularly observed, even on this very forum,

Even though - acknowledging - what applied to most didn't apply to all.

Even though - what applied to most in the past - today can apply to all - unless someone needed to be additionally told slavery ended 150 years ago, and any separation of a slaves family no longer applies!

I guess Moore thinks comprehension among the American people is greater than it really is.

God Bless,
SbC

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@SBC From observing such groups online for a long time, I hold the opinion that their claims about preserving history are not genuine. They are a cover. The real purpose is to show sympathy for the practice of slavery and to cause modern-day African Americans / black Americans to live in fear.

The white supremacist model is simple: if blacks are on the bottom, and I am white, then at least I am not on the bottom.

These statues hardly tell a story. Without knowledge of the Civil War from books and primary sources, they would be meaningless. Their removal in no way removes knowledge of the Civil War. I agree with your implied statement that knowledge of US history should be greater. But if statues are to be the method of education, let us round things out a bit. For every statue of a confederate officer, put up a statue a stone's throw away of a slave family being broken up. Or of one of the free or slave blacks who contributed in a noteworthy way to this country's history. I will definitely sign that agreement with any white supremacist.

Further, a note about race. You are right, I think, that there is too great a focus on race at times today. However. The very concept of black and white in this country is a product of the practice of slavery. Dark people could be rounded up as escaped slaves even if they were not - and sold or "returned". Solidly "white" folks could not. The very terms of black and white and their connotations today are a "monument" to our history. Therefore, eliminating such terms is similar to removing the statues.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

No doubt some people think their race denoted by skin color ranks supreme, which is not exclusive to white people only.

And some people think their race denoted by God as a Hebrew/Jew thinks their race ranks supreme.

Good news is, God Himself has revealed He sees no difference in a Jew or Gentile or the whole of the human race. The only differences God is concerned with is who stands with Him and who stands against Him.
And that should be the same differences a man should be concerned with regarding the human race.

I only saw Obama as a man announcing his running for President until he announced he was a black man running for President. He highlighted his difference, not me. He highlighted his Skin color race. Why?
Pride? Instigate division ? Imply special favoring ?

And what if Trump had done the same ?
Would he have been called a Racist ?

He's called a racist for acknowledging white people!

Should we apply the same standards to people who claim they want equal standards applied to them ? Do as they do? Then they complain when we do apply the same standards?

Different skin color is here to stay.
Freedom does not mean everything is free.
Freedom means everyone is free to provide for themselves without infringing on others.
If everyone wants equality for all then the standard must be the same for all.

But that is far from the case, isn't it?

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@SBC - you didn't really address most of my post.

However, I will reply as I am able.

I do not think Obama was a good president.

However, because a black person had never held the highest elected office in the US and it seemed to have social import, it is not insane or foul to me that Obama ever mentioned it.

Trump, to my knowledge, has not been called a racist for "acknowledging white people." He has been called a racist for appearing to sympathize with openly racist white supremacists.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From observing such groups online for a long time, I hold the opinion that their claims about preserving history are not genuine.

I disagree.

The white supremacist model is simple: if blacks are on the bottom, and I am white, then at least I am not on the bottom.

Opinion? Or fact you attempted to join a group that required you allegiance to such statement ?

These statues hardly tell a story.

Correct. They are reminders of American History.
Forget a bad reminder and you might repeat.
Not knowing by hearing / seeing and you might do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You don't understand the support for him? Are you kidding? Let me clue you in. He has been a stalwart for religious freedom. The media is filled with left-wing, ungodly, anti-Christian, pro-homosexuality queers, so it is no surprise why they are attacking Moore.

It is clear that Moore was saying that times were better in the past, even during slavery days, but was saying slavery as a negative, as he provided it as an exception to it being better.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are clueless. You claim Trump is a "racist" because he "sympathizes" with "openly racist white supremacists". You obviously don't look at independent news sources, or you wouldn't say something so blatantly false. All that Trump said is that there were some good people at the unite the right rally, and there likely were. It's not saying that all in attendance were good. The original meeting, if I'm not mistaken, was simply a traditional conservative meet, but infiltrators, many probably plants from the Democrat Party, surrounded the outsides of the park to make it look like a klan meeting.

Trump allowed a black woman to live in Trump tower for years, rent-free, as I've heard.

Trump kissed a black child in hurricane shelters.

Trump has invited black clergy to pray with him.

Trump has continuously spoken about trying to improve the economic prospects for all Americans.

Trump has stated that better policing in the inner cities to help the communities is what he is trying to do.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I am clueless, but I didn't call Trump a racist. I know you think I did, but look at the post of mine that you quoted. I didn't.

Upvote 0