• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Rosary

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Caedmon, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VOW

VOW Moderator

+15
    Catholic
    Married
    Note to all:

I have a very nice "extra" rosary, and I'm going to be mailing it to HumbleJoe.

Peace be with you,
    ~VOW

2. Caedmon

Caedmon kawaii Supporter

+538
    Catholic
    US-Others
    Thanks Wols! That's pretty cool.(for lack of better words) :D

3. Caedmon

Caedmon kawaii Supporter

+538
    Catholic
    US-Others
    That's interesting. It's kind of hard for me to say it, so I probably won't say it now... later, who knows? ;)

Yeah, I live in an area where Catholicism is feared, lol. If one of the guys from church saw me kneel down and give the sign of the cross while someone prayed in the service, they would seriously flip out! (hey, maybe I'll try it just to see the reaction, hahaha... and heeeeyyyyyy, didn't they teach him in Sunday school to close his eyes when somebody was praying?! :D ) And yeah, I'd definitely like to get it blessed. I'm not a Catholic right now, but I want to extend my prayers to all my family, and like you said, have it united with "a HOLY purpose".

This leads me to another question I have. Have any of you seen the beads and coins that are thrown at Mardi Gras parades? I've seen these for years, but not until recently did I begun to be disturbed, even upset by them. From a distance, the beads could be confused for a Rosary, yet they are mundane strings of plastic beads with no particular design. It seems to me -- and I could be wrong -- that these so-called "beads" are a secular degradation of the Rosary. It reminds me of late medieval church events where passion play/mystery wagons would roll through towns and give alms and Rosaries to the poor townfolk. Am I stretching this too far? I don't know, it just bothers me a little. :sigh:

4. patriarch

patriarch Senior Member

+4
    Catholic

Humblejoe,

Of course, Catholic wives are not available in general, but only in particular :) so I am wondering if you have a particular young lady in mind, and if not, where you think she can be found.

If she is as Catholic as you seem to want her to be, I wonder if she will be at all interested in you, for girls who are so Catholic as to desire a large family, probably came from a good Catholic family themselves and want the same for their children, which would ordinarily mean marrying a Catholic.  Are you as interested in Catholic children as you are in a Catholic wife? She is, believe me.

Maybe the solution lies in trying to import Catholic sexual morals into your social situation.  Particularly I would recommend you contact the Gift Foundation for tapes of talks by Christopher West, or the Couple to Couple League for talks by Janet Smith.  If you are at college or a junior college, it would be possible to float some of their concepts in letters to the editor to the school paper, or the local paper for that matter, and see what kind of response you get.  If there are pro-life clubs around, that would be a great place to meet young ladies of similar mind. 

And of course, I will pray for you.

Wols- those are great sets of mysteries!

Patriarch

5. Caedmon

Caedmon kawaii Supporter

+538
    Catholic
    US-Others
    Oh patriarch... please forgive me. I did not mean to sound presumptuous. I can get carried away at times. Honestly, I don't really know. But I'll tell you what I do know. I know that what I'm feeling in my heart about family is correct. I know that I will pursue this to an end. What end that is, I can't really tell right now; it could be anything. I heard that Kimberly Hahn converted with her husband Scott because of her views on family. Who knows? *shrug* I'm just trying to keep my heart open. I'm asking the Lord to lead me. I'm very scared right now, and I'm just trying to do the best I can. Adopting these views on family has set my mind exploding with questions, particularly about the Catholic Church. Please forgive me if I came across as insulting.

You speak truth patriarch. I understand what you are saying. As things are for the moment, I would say that having my children raised Catholic might present some difficulty, but I believe I could handle it. They would be raised as Christians, and that is truly a blessing in this world.

I've listened to a tape by Janet Smith. She's a wonderful speaker and she knows what she's talking about. And thank you for your prayers.

6. patriarch

patriarch Senior Member

+4
    Catholic
    Humblejoe,

Certainly you didn't come across as presumptuous or insulting... Just wondered if you had thought some of these things through, which you are doing...So, God bless you! You have prayers, God has answers...

Patriarch

7. panterapat

panterapat Praise God in all things!

+36
    Catholic
    HJ- I captured this from another thread. It was written by Wolseley

Vatican II stated that there are many more sets of mysteries that can be prayed, in addition to these fifteen, which are the old standard ones. I personally have several sets which I have devised, and I pray them as a change of pace. For example, Healing Mysteries:

1. Jesus heals the man born blind
    2. Jesus raises Jairus' daughter
    3. Jesus heals the Gadarene demoniac
    4. Jesus heals the woman with the issue of blood
    5. Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead

I also have Resurrection Mysteries:

1. Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene
    2. Jesus appears on the road to Emmaus
    3. Jesus heals Thomas' doubt
    4. Jesus re-instates Peter on the beach
    5. Jesus appears to Paul on the road to Damascus

Patrick

8. Caedmon

Caedmon kawaii Supporter

+538
    Catholic
    US-Others
    Thanks pat... yeah, I think I saw those in the other thread... ;)

BTW, there is something that I feel as though is missing in the original mysteries of the Rosary. In the Joyful Mysteries, where is Christ's baptism? :confused:

I would think that something that Christ did "to fulfill all righteousness", which also captures the Holy Trinity "in action", would most certainly have been included. Does anyone else feel this way?

9. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+1,711
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I sometimes pray sets of mysteries that include various aspects of Jesus' life which are mentioned in the Gospels, like the Flight Into Egypt, His Baptism, the Visit of the Magi, and so on.

Remember, like I said on the "Rosay medal" thread about Veronica: this is a devotion. It's not meant to be heavy theology. It's not meant to be defining doctrine. It's not meant to be a conciliar dogma that explains or covers every aspect of the faith. What this is supposed to be is a nice little prayer that you use to help you meditate on Jesus, to tell Him you love Him and reflect on how much He loves you. It's supposed to strengthen your faith and to bring you comfort and reassurance, that's all.

Maybe not very heavy-duty, for an aspect of Christian practice, but important nevertheless. :) Devotions have their place, just as do dogmas and doctrines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.