Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my estimation, the book of Romans is Paul's masterpiece on the subject of grace. He constantly wrote of God's grace in all his epistles, but the letter to the Romans is special. I don't think anyone can claim a true revelation of grace if he doesn't have a good understanding of the book of Romans.

When I was just beginning to seek the Lord back in the late 60s, I remember the Lord telling me that if I could get a revelation of the first eight chapters of Romans, it would change my life. I concentrated on those scriptures for years. I read them through dozens, maybe hundreds of times, and gradually, I began to get it. Sure enough, those scriptures have changed my life as much as any in all the Word of God.

Paul put forth this radical statement in Romans 1:16: "The gospel is the power of God unto salvation." That doesn't sound as radical to us as it did to the people in Paul's day because the term gospel has become a religious cliche to us. Most people don't know what it means. In Paul's day, it was a radical way of referring to the grace of God as the means of obtaining right standing with Him.

The Greek word from which the English word "gospel" was translated literally means, "a good message, or good news." It was in use before the writing of the New Testament, but it was very obscure. In my research, one commentator said there were only two times in all of Greek literature where this word was used. This is because it really meant more than just "good news." It was more like "too good to be true news." It was a superlative that was so fantastic that it was seldom used. However, this sensational word perfectly described what Jesus did for us; therefore, it became a common word among New Testament believers.

Today, most Christians think the word "gospel" is just a word that identifies religious things. They relate preaching on the wrath of God and impending judgment as the gospel, but it's not. It's true that those who don't accept the sacrifice of Jesus will spend an eternity in hell, but that's not "good news." That's certainly not "too good to be true news."

The gospel is the "good news" that despite our sins and the judgment we deserve, God has provided complete redemption for us. Even more specifically, the word "gospel" describes the grace that enables us to receive this forgiveness.

If I told you that I had a gift of a million dollars for you, that would be good news. That would be too good to be true news. What if I put down difficult or impossible stipulations as things you must do to receive that money? Then it would cease to be a gift. Your performance would be required so you would actually be earning the money. All your joy over the "gift" would fade away as you despaired of meeting the criteria. You would probably be upset with me. It would be better to have never been offered the money than to have it dangled in front of you and then placed out of reach through impossible demands.

That's the way it is with salvation. Just saying that Jesus provided salvation for us is not truly the "too good to be true news" unless it is emphasized that all Jesus provided is available to us by grace. The grace of God is the heart of the gospel.

In Acts 20:24, Paul said he was testifying of "the gospel of the grace of God." He said the same thing in Galatians 1:6: "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel." Paul equated the grace of God with the gospel. Any statements about God or the salvation He provided, without highlighting the grace of God, are not the true gospel.

Telling people they are going to hell if they don't repent is true, but it's not the gospel. Even telling people that Jesus provided an escape is not the gospel if we tell them they have to live holy lives in order to obtain that salvation. Putting any stipulations on what we have to do to acquire God's provision denies grace and therefore, is not the gospel.

These are radical statements! Most of the church world doesn't define the gospel this way, but that's the way Paul defined it: that "gospel is the power of God unto salvation." The power that we need to get saved and obtain everything that Jesus provided for us, is in the gospel. If we seem powerless to receive, it's because we don't have a full revelation of the true gospel.

I've heard people say before, "No one in America should hear the gospel twice until everyone in the world has heard it once." The point they are trying to make is that we shouldn't put all our evangelism efforts into countries where people have already heard the gospel. We should be putting a higher priority on bringing the gospel to those who have never heard it.

I say that America hasn't heard the gospel. Oh, they've heard that there is a heaven to gain and a hell to shun. They've heard that sin separates us from God and they have to be forgiven of their sins. They've even heard that Jesus died to forgive their sins. America as a whole, hasn't heard that all Jesus provided for us is a gift, accessible only by faith (Rom. 5:2). American "Christianity" has preached that we have to live holy lives to receive from God.

The religious system of Martin Luther's day preached Jesus. They talked about the forgiveness of sins and the wrath that awaited all who rejected the sacrifice of Jesus. They placed such a burden of personal holiness on the individual in order to receive what Jesus provided, that they perverted the true gospel by all their requirements. They were not preaching the gospel. Martin Luther received the revelation that it is only by grace that anyone can be saved (Rom. 3:28), and it changed his life and the history of the world.

Mainstream Christianity has lost the understanding of grace just as surely as it was lacking prior to Martin Luther's revelation. We need another reformation centered on the grace of God.

An amazing thing has happened in our presentation of the gospel today. Evangelical Christianity preaches grace as the heart of the gospel for the initial born again experience, but then it reverts to personal performance in order to receive everything else from God. That's a perversion of the gospel too. Paul said in Colossians 2:6, "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, [so] walk ye in him." That means that since we can only be born again by putting faith in God's grace, everything else in the Christian life has to come the same way.

If it was "just as I am without one plea" to get saved, then it has to be the same to get healed or prospered or delivered. Are we so foolish to think that we got saved by grace but now we can be made perfect through our own efforts? (Gal. 3:3)

That's why Paul wrote the book of Galatians. The Galatians had received the gospel and had been born again, but after being saved, they left grace and went back to trying to earn the blessings of God through their adherence to rules and regulations. This brought some of the harshest rebukes the Apostle Paul ever gave to anyone. He said in Galatians 3:1, "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?" He also said in Galatians 5:4, "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace."

Every great revival in history had the grace of God at its core. An awakening to the grace of God will release the power of the gospel and revival will be the result. Revival isn't the result of holiness. Holiness is the result of revival.

You might ask, "Are you saying that we can live in sin because salvation is by God's grace?" I'm glad you asked that question. Paul addressed that very question four times in the book of Romans. You could even say that if that question never comes up, then the true gospel that Paul preached hasn't been presented. Most of the gospel messages being preached in the pulpits of America never raise that question because they aren't preaching the true gospel.

Of course Paul didn't advocate a life of sin and either am I. Holiness is a fruit and not a root of salvation (Rom. 6:22). Paul told Titus in Titus 2:11-12, "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world." Grace teaches us to live holy lives. Our holiness is a response to God's grace, not something we do to earn God's grace. Grace cannot be earned or it wouldn't be grace (Rom. 11:6). When we clearly see the grace God has extended to us, the love of God will abound in our life and we will live more holy lives accidentally than we ever have before on purpose.

Grace doesn't give us a license to sin, but actually frees us from sin. In Romans 6:14 Paul said, "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." Grace breaks sin's dominion over us. The law, or a performance based message, gives sin dominion over us.

If these truths about the gospel of God's grace as revealed through Paul in the book of Romans have not exploded in your heart, I plead with you to change that today. I promise you that these truths will transform your life just as they have mine. The gospel is the power you need in your life to receive whatever your needs are from the Lord.

written by AWM
www.awmi.net

Reactions: ischus

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
justinstout said:
Martin Luther received the revelation that it is only by grace that anyone can be saved (Rom. 3:28), and it changed his life and the history of the world.

That wasn't much of a revelation really, maybe for himself personally, but it was taught by "the religious system of the day" already. Salvation is by grace alone. This is one of the most common misconceptions of Catholic theology. Works do not earn you Heaven. Good works are a cooperation with God's grace which is received through faith. In essence, refusal to cooperate with that grace and do good works is a rejection of that grace and makes faith dead. Both faith and Christian works are inseperable really.

One of the verses you cite is Romans 11:6. It is true, that if salvation were to come by works, done by nature, without faith and grace, salvation would not be a grace or favor, but a debt. Such dead works are indeed of no value in the sight of God towards salvation. It is not the same with regard to works done with, and by, God's grace; for to such works as these, He has promised eternal salvation as we can see in Jesus' teachings (Matt. 25 is a good place to look).

Turning to Romans 3:28, the faith, to which St. Paul here attributes man's justification, is not a presumptuous assurance of our being justified; but a firm and lively belief of all that God has revealed or promised, a faith working through charity in Jesus Christ. In short, a faith which takes in hope, love, and repentance. And the works which he here excludes are the works of the law: that is, such as are done by the law of nature, or that of Moses, antecedent to the faith of Christ. It by no means excludes those that follow faith and proceed from it.

What I've noticed, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that Protestants believe good works come automatically after grace comes through faith and Catholics believe we still retain the free will to choose whether or not to cooperate with or ignore that grace that comes after faith. We don't receive grace in a one time experience, but rather it is poured out for us and sanctifies us throughout our lives and we must continue to abide in that grace.

Upvote 0

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Ephesians 2:8-9
Grace and faith are totally dependent upon each other. These verses in Ephesians 2 show us that we are saved by grace through faith, not one or the other. I've heard many people who centered their teaching on grace or on faith, but God's Word teaches us that they must be combined. Failure to do this has been the reason for much frustration.

First we have to have a common understanding of what these terms, grace and faith, mean. It is most commonly accepted that grace literally means God's unmerited favor. It is something God has accomplished for us totally without our help and independent of what we deserve. You can't earn God's grace.

Faith has many facets, and many, many books have been written trying to define it. In its simplest terms, faith is your positive response to God. Many sincere Christians have made a major mistake in thinking that faith is something that we do to earn or gain a positive response from God. God does not move in response to your faith. God has already moved through His grace, and your faith is simply your response to what you believe God has already done.

Let's take an example. Ephesians 2:8 says that we were saved by grace through faith. God, by grace, made an atonement for our sins. It was not based upon something we had done to deserve it. Quite the contrary, God commended His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Rom. 5:8). It was totally God's grace that provided salvation.

But God's grace alone doesn't make salvation a reality in us. Ephesians 2:8 says it is by grace through faith. God's grace doesn't change us until we respond to it in faith. As we mix faith with what God has already provided by grace, then the miracle of the new birth takes place. But there must be grace (what God has already done) plus faith (your response to God's grace).

Titus 2:11 says that God's grace has appeared, or come, unto all men. If grace alone saved, then all men would be saved. But, you see, all men have not responded to God's grace in faith.

Your faith didn't make God move to provide salvation for you. It was provided by grace before you were ever born. This is the reason you were able to believe for forgiveness of sins so easily. All of the burden to produce was upon God, where it should be. Your only requirement was to believe. Your believing didn't move God, rather, it moved you.

By His grace God has already blessed us with everything we'll ever receive from Him (Eph. 1:3). Faith changes us and circumstances and demons and puts us in agreement with God. But faith doesn't change or move God.

Many people, who are becoming aware of faith today, have made this mistake of thinking that God beholds our faith and when it reaches a certain level, then He moves to answer our prayers. They think, "Lord, I've been fasting and praying. I've gone to church and I've paid my tithes. Will you heal me now?" They are actually putting faith in what they have done instead of what God has already done through grace.

If we had approached forgiveness of sins that way, we would have never been born again. We came to God not on the basis of what we had done or with a bargain to present to Him about what we would do. But we came just as we were and put our total dependence on His grace (unmerited favor) and we received the biggest miracle we'll ever receive, the new birth. If we would continue to keep our faith in Him the same way, then we would continue to see the same results (Col. 2:6).

When it comes to prosperity or healing, most Christians think, "I know He can provide this need but I haven't prayed enough or I haven't been living the way I should." Well, let me ask you this: when you came to the Lord for forgiveness of sins, had you been living the way you should? Had you fasted and prayed enough to earn God's unmerited favor? Of course not. Galatians 3:3 says, "Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" If we would just continue to put faith in God's grace, we would see every answer to prayer manifest in the physical realm.

God our Father has already provided everything by His grace. If you need healing, God won't heal you. He has already done it! First Peter 2:24 shows that we were healed by the stripes that Jesus took on His back. When you pray to be healed, Jesus doesn't get off the throne and take more stripes so you can be healed. It's already been done. That's grace. All you have to do is respond to that grace in faith and your body will manifest what Jesus has already provided. Joshua 1:8 tells us that when we meditate in the Word day and night and observe all that is written in it, then we make our way prosperous and then we have good success. God, by His grace, has already released His prosperity upon every person on the face of the earth (Titus 2:11). But as we get in God's Word and act on it, it changes us so that we can receive by faith. God doesn't need to be changed; He's already on our side!

If you will put faith in God's grace, you will always overcome the world (Jn. 16:33 and 1 Jn. 5:4).

(written by AWM)

Upvote 0

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God, by His grace, has already released His prosperity upon every person on the face of the earth (Titus 2:11). But as we get in God's Word and act on it, it changes us so that we can receive by faith. God doesn't need to be changed; He's already on our side!

If you will put faith in God's grace, you will always overcome the world (Jn. 16:33 and 1 Jn. 5:4).

very true -*hugs* - gotta spread more reps to

Upvote 0

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
justinstout said:
You might ask, "Are you saying that we can live in sin because salvation is by God's grace?" I'm glad you asked that question. Paul addressed that very question four times in the book of Romans. You could even say that if that question never comes up, then the true gospel that Paul preached hasn't been presented. Most of the gospel messages being preached in the pulpits of America never raise that question because they aren't preaching the true gospel.

:amen:

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Martin Luther - "The first duty of the gospel preacher is to declare God's law and show the nature of sin, because it will act as a schoolmaster and bring him to everlasting life which is in Jesus Christ."

John Wesley - "Before I preach love, mercy and grace, I must preach sin, law and judgement."

Wesley, later, advised a friend to "Preach 90 percent law and 10 percent grace."

Charles Spurgeon - "They will never accept grace, until they tremble before a just and holy law."

Charles Finney - "Evermore the law must prepare the way for the gospel; to overlook this in instructing souls, is almost certain to result in false hope, the introduction of a false standard of Christian experience, and to fill the Church with false converts."

John Wycliffe- "The highest service to which a man may attain on earth is to preach the law of God."

D.L. Moody - "God, being a perfect God, had to give a perfect law, and the law was given not to save men, but to measure them."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.